XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR-S not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR-S not selling?

My local dealer (San Jose British Motors) has had two XKR-S sitting around for a long, long time (one white, one red). I noticed this morning both now have signs on them for $15,000 under sticker. Hard to believe here in Silicon Valley that a car like that wouldn't sell.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightman7
My local dealer (San Jose British Motors) has had two XKR-S sitting around for a long, long time (one white, one red). I noticed this morning both now have signs on them for $15,000 under sticker. Hard to believe here in Silicon Valley that a car like that wouldn't sell.
yes it is sad when you see mercedes, bmw etc...but it also means that we are a much smaller community with his advantages, maybe more taste too. Hopefully they sells, or i make a bunch of bucks to buy one soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That dealership needs to get people in the driver's seat that may be considering other cars. Fault is on the dealer. One drive sells itself.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The dealer in Maine has one on the showroom floor as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the XKR-S is a little bit too vulgar for most people. I think it looks silly, and I certainly wouldn't pay a price premium over a regular XKR for it. It's no secret that the XK is an aging platform, and Jaguar is doing its best to keep it fresh. However, in the process, they are making themselves out to look desperate, especially with that XKR-S GT!

The following 4 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
DGL (07-26-2013), Hailers (04-16-2013), mjsammon (08-27-2013), v8cat (08-28-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Boston to DC

I just happen to be back in the states and while here I've been in Boston for 2 weeks and DC for 2 weeks and I can't believe I haven't seen a single XK, XKR nor an XKR-S on the roads. I have seen M3s, Benz coupes, GT500s Challenger, Camaros and basically anything people "try" to put in the same category as our beloved X150 model.

I'm really liking the exclusivity but it somewhat scares me for the longevity of the brand. Hopefully their selling enough in England and India to keep the brand alive.

Like another poster said it really boils down to taste. After I developed said taste I woke up and left the BMW brand "image".... The thing for me that sets the Jag apart is SOUL. Others can claim it but these cars truly have it!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

The last hoorah models can make a tough sale. The reviews and press are so positive and it's not like there's a ton to be sold. Jag will have to eat a little on lease special to get them moving.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure the XKR-S is "vulgar" but it certainly appeals to a different crowd than an XKR or XKR with Dynamic Pack. I live in Wisconsin but purchase most of my cars in Florida -- Florida dealers have no problem selling XKRs with Dynamic Packs at $110K+.

I personally think an XKR with Dynamic Pack blends subtle and sporty better than the XKR-S, but the XKR-S isn't supposed to be subtle. It's no different than a MC Stradale - you can buy a Maser GT 4.2 or you can get a flared-out MC Stradale.

The XKR-S is intended for someone who wants something more aggressive and less "old school Jag." If that means that an XKR-S pulls in one person from MB AMG (and makes that person loyal to the Jaguar brand), then the car has performed its job flawlessly.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (07-26-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
The thing for me that sets the Jag apart is SOUL. Others can claim it but these cars truly have it!
I have said this over and over about the brand. I talk with folks about cars and they mention Lexus and BMW. I'm not one to knock BMW since they made some incredible cars back in the day, but they lack the soul they once had. Lexus doesn't have it. Those cars are made to just exist. The LF-A is now dead and even that was soulless. I joke that Jags put the beat back in your heart since you subconsciously question when it may break on you. The reality is, they are dependable and high quality, soulful, and unique. We all here have a duty to encourage and push the brand as the replacement for BMW's.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

I just happen to be back in the states and while here I've been in Boston for 2 weeks and DC for 2 weeks and I can't believe I haven't seen a single XK, XKR nor an XKR-S on the roads. I have seen M3s, Benz coupes, GT500s Challenger, Camaros and basically anything people "try" to put in the same category as our beloved X150 model.

I'm really liking the exclusivity but it somewhat scares me for the longevity of the brand. Hopefully their selling enough in England and India to keep the brand alive.

Like another poster said it really boils down to taste. After I developed said taste I woke up and left the BMW brand "image".... The thing for me that sets the Jag apart is SOUL. Others can claim it but these cars truly have it!
Surely you've seen me driving around DC! Mine's the one with the horrible popping sound going down the street!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

My personal opinion, the XKR S is a bit over the top. I have been following this one ** 2012 Jaguar XKR-S White Supercharged 550+HP $132K MSRP XKR S ** on Craigslist and it has been offered for quite some time.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Surely you've seen me driving around DC! Mine's the one with the horrible popping sound going down the street!
I thought I would have surely seen some forum members out cruisin' as I always look up on the right where it says where we're from and I noticed you and another member from the DC area and a couple guys from Boston but you've all escaped me. I've always held the tradition to give a thumbs up to someone driving the same car as mine (kinda like the Corvette Salute) but nothing, my thumbs got no exercise whatsoever.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

I've always held the tradition to give a thumbs up to someone driving the same car as mine (kinda like the Corvette Salute) but nothing, my thumbs got no exercise whatsoever.
I've never really shown any love from other Jag owners on the road. Heck, a guy parked 3 cars down from me in an XK8 coupe and could be barely acknowledge me. When I owned an Alfa & Maserati, owners really saluted each other.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

All you guys (or gals as the case may be) are special people...

I want you to know that if I saw you I would wave, or say hello if I was close enough to speak to you.

Because doggonitt, you are somebody!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have also seen heavily discounted XKR-s', some with almost no mileage that are being offered in the $90K range, which is a hefty hit. I also am not a great fan of the body changes, I would rather have Jaguar offer all of the upgrades (more horsepower, lowered suspension....) on a normal XKR, whose body looks more refined and less boy racer.

The following users liked this post:
v8cat (04-17-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

With all those vehicles you're causing a traffic jam in that beautiful little town

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up XKRS not selling but got a lot of street cred!

Originally Posted by Lightman7
I bought mine at SJ British Motors too. Every time I've gone down there, they are still sitting there. When I saw the price drop I was really upset. They would not budge on the price when they first came out. Now they can't give them away.

As far as looking vulgar, ya I get that point of view. I agree that the wing on the back has a boy racer look to it. But the front looks better than the cat fish mouth of the XKR. Now it looks like a pissed off catfish. I replaced the wing with the taller spoiler off of the 175 and it brought the lines back. Now I think it's the sweetest looking jag on the road.

What is it about jaguars that makes them so exciting to drive? I think some one here nailed it by saying that you never quite know when they are going to break loose, lol. I couldn't agree more. I went to Michelin Super Pilot Sports and they communicate much better than the P Zeros. They start to slip but still have some grip left. The P Zeros grip, and grip and let go.

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I have also seen heavily discounted XKR-s', some with almost no mileage that are being offered in the $90K range, which is a hefty hit. I also am not a great fan of the body changes, I would rather have Jaguar offer all of the upgrades (more horsepower, lowered suspension....) on a normal XKR, whose body looks more refined and less boy racer.
Just bought that car you described (without the 550hp). Although, should be about 525hp with the performance exhaust. Definitely more than 510hp.

2013 XKR with dynamic pack/performance exhaust. Same suspension (28% stiffer springs, full machined knuckles, dynamic performance tuned suspension) as XKR-S. Same wheels/tires as XKR-S. Performance exhaust is the same as the XKR-S. Also, with the XKR optioned with the dynamic pack it comes standard with the bright pack which is a $4,000 option on the XKR-S.

The car is much better than my 2011 XKR 175 in looks and performance. I can feel the road more with the stiffer suspension and the exhaust note is to die for.

Last edited by DGL; 08-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
whose body looks more refined and less boy racer.
Key words.......Jaguar's must be doing something right. See, had Ford owned Jaguar, you would call it "for the elderly" instead of "boy racer".

Jaguar has been pushing the envelope, going for the extreme and aiming at the opposite of what they stood for in certain ways.
Especially with the RS-GT variants, in order to leave the old image and the perception of the brand behind. So far, they have been doing an outstanding job.

As the time goes on, you will see more of it.

As matter of fact, recently (6 months to a year ago), one of the automotive magazines/sites released the demographical information on Jaguar, Porsche and a few others. Interestingly enough, majority of the Porsche Panamera owners were in an older age bracket than those of the Xj x351.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drc
As far as looking vulgar, ya I get that point of view. I agree that the wing on the back has a boy racer look to it. But the front looks better than the cat fish mouth of the XKR.
Only the 2010 and 2011 models have the silly catfish look!

The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
djgold (08-28-2013), Jffcurt (08-28-2013)

Quick Reply: XKR-S not selling?