XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Xkr-s vs Porsche 977 turbo PDk

Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Xkr-s vs Porsche 977 turbo PDk

Today I did a couple of rolls with a friend who has a 2011 Porsche 997 TT cab with PDk. I was in sport/dynamic mode using the paddles and he was in sports plus mode/automatic. We did a couple of runs from a slow roll and we were dead even! I was surprised because the PDk 997 TT is a 11.0 sec 1/4 mi and 2.9 0-60 car. Now it would have been a different story if we were launching from a stop- launch control / all wheel drive vs no launch control/rear wheel drive.
To compare I ran my tuned 996TT (500 crank hp) against his car at the exact same spot from a roll and lost by more than 3 car lengths.
I am very impressed by the performance of this jag. Not bad for a gt car!

The following 2 users liked this post by Octurbo:
drc (03-20-2013), Lothar52 (03-22-2013)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

That is nasty indeed! What a beast!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Yesterday I was at the dealer getting an update done to my battery monitoring system. While I was there, I looked at a 2013 XKR-S convertible. The guys there told me it was 1 of 25 made. They tried to talk me into trading my 2010 for it.

I started it up - the exhaust note on that thing is monsterous! It had two tone dark charcoal/London tan interior with matching contrast stitching. Humongous brake calipers in the front!!

They had it listed for a little over $137K.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Just a Fyi PDK is very limited in many ways and can run 10.5 1/4 miles. The 997 TT with a flash runs the same 1/4 mile. So there is much to learn here. Our Jags are also very limited as we are finding out. The 470-550hp varients all seem to make the same power in the end with just a flash.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs down Quarter mile times not very meaningful these days.

OCTURBO,

Nice comparison, I'd like to see more of that kind of stuff on this site. It doesn't surprise me (too much...well, maybe a little) since Jags don't have launch control. It's a very easy way for the MFG's to get better times. All the R cars that I have owned have always blown away cars that they shouldn't have been able to beat. If you had to give one of them up, which would it be? The Jag or the Porsche?

I was at the dealer the other day and noticed a new white XKRS coupe for $118k. I asked the salesman about it and was told that the XKRS is not selling well. It kind of upset me since I paid almost full price. I guess when you can buy a Carrera S for about the same price (with options) it's hard to justify the XKRS. Also, the wing on the hatch turns a lot of people off. I replaced mine with the 175 anniversary spoiler and it looks awesome!!! Personally I think that Jags have that X factor. You know, that something about them that makes them feel special and so enjoyable to drive. It's probably because they have never tried to be anything other than what they are. Beautiful luxury GT's and sedans.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Dealer I bought my XK from has a black XKRS "heavily discounted" so says my saleswoman. I want to wait it out and see what they are selling for when owners start trading them in. I need a 2 more years out of my current XK first.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Dealer I bought my XK from has a black XKRS "heavily discounted" so says my saleswoman. I want to wait it out and see what they are selling for when owners start trading them in. I need a 2 more years out of my current XK first.
when i purchased my 95 xj6 at haron, on ventura blvd, in fresno, i know fresno sounds, 6 guys were standing around the car, they told me , you will fall in love with the car, (i had the van den plas 84 from monterey), later when i asked Lou, what 's going on with the engine of this car, he said: pierre, in 1 year i am retired. And since...there is something of crazy with jaguars that pertains to customs made, I love the duality jekyl and mr hide, how discreet and the silence experienced from a quiet ride, and the ferrari noise, after passing the 1/4 inches with the accelerator, the rocket ride feeling. it goes like a rocket in silence, really, then if you push the accelerator in third, after passing a half inch or i don't know its so light,then you start hearing the engine, you 're getting like a ferrari noise incredible and you're there 500 yards further, its crazy, really and how secure seems the dsc. its indecent!!

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-20-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by drc
OCTURBO,

Nice comparison, I'd like to see more of that kind of stuff on this site. It doesn't surprise me (too much...well, maybe a little) since Jags don't have launch control. It's a very easy way for the MFG's to get better times. All the R cars that I have owned have always blown away cars that they shouldn't have been able to beat. If you had to give one of them up, which would it be? The Jag or the Porsche?

I was at the dealer the other day and noticed a new white XKRS coupe for $118k. I asked the salesman about it and was told that the XKRS is not selling well. It kind of upset me since I paid almost full price. I guess when you can buy a Carrera S for about the same price (with options) it's hard to justify the XKRS. Also, the wing on the hatch turns a lot of people off. I replaced mine with the 175 anniversary spoiler and it looks awesome!!! Personally I think that Jags have that X factor. You know, that something about them that makes them feel special and so enjoyable to drive. It's probably because they have never tried to be anything other than what they are. Beautiful luxury GT's and sedans.
It was my friend's 997 TT that I was running against, not mine. However, I picked the Xkr-s over the 997.2 TT when I bought my jag. The reason is I prefer the looks, sound, and exclusivity of the jag. Also, I was coming out of a 996TT, so it was nice to have something totally different
As I mentioned, the problem with the Xkr-s is lack of rear wheel traction with acceleration, so 0-60 and 1/4 mi are not great numbers for this car, but from a slow roll, look out! Its 121 mph trap is a good indication of its power.
I can't believe how much prices have dropped on this car- when I bought mine, most dealers were asking over Msrp! I don't know why this car is not selling better- mb c63 black series sold out instantly and it's a similar type of car at similar price with similar production numbers. What am I missing?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
It was my friend's 997 TT that I was running against, not mine. However, I picked the Xkr-s over the 997.2 TT when I bought my jag. The reason is I prefer the looks, sound, and exclusivity of the jag. Also, I was coming out of a 996TT, so it was nice to have something totally different
As I mentioned, the problem with the Xkr-s is lack of rear wheel traction with acceleration, so 0-60 and 1/4 mi are not great numbers for this car, but from a slow roll, look out! Its 121 mph trap is a good indication of its power.
I can't believe how much prices have dropped on this car- when I bought mine, most dealers were asking over Msrp! I don't know why this car is not selling better- mb c63 black series sold out instantly and it's a similar type of car at similar price with similar production numbers. What am I missing?
you think the mass has taste yourself? let's leave the weird ride attitude to bmw and mercedes drivers they're millions...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
What am I missing?
I don't know...maybe sheep don't like to stray off the well-beaten path?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jag's are always going to be niche car for a limited crowd.

It'll take another decade minimum before they shed the "Pipe & Silppers" image, and maybe they want to keep some of that around!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb XKRS Not Selling Well

Jaguar has just recently (relatively speaking) become more performance oriented, so it will probably take some time. Do we really want the German car enthusiasts to be buying Jags? Then you will start to see Jags tailgating, swerving in and out of traffic and generally driving stupid. I hope Jag stays niche.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a new XKR-S. Only driven it a few times due to the winter weather. Sold my 03 Turbo, 500 HP. Rear drive is new for me and the car has little traction in this cold weather but your experience certainly excites me for the warmer weather. Any info. on putting wider rubber on the back?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by edehut
Have a new XKR-S. Only driven it a few times due to the winter weather. Sold my 03 Turbo, 500 HP. Rear drive is new for me and the car has little traction in this cold weather but your experience certainly excites me for the warmer weather. Any info. on putting wider rubber on the back?
Looks like we are on the same program - my last car was a 03 turbo with 500 crank hp (Giac ecu, Evoms diverter valves, and exhaust).
I don't think you can put any bigger tires on the rear of the xkr-s as they already stick pretty far outside the fenders, especially if you look at the car from the rear. The jag is very different from the Porsche - I almost bought a 997 TT S, but the jag is a very fun car to drive, it looks great, and it may be the best sounding production car. Definitely go to r academy driving school, because the jag behaves very different from the AWD turbo (more oversteer, less under steer). You are going to really enjoy your car!