Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR voice activated dialing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR voice activated dialing

Hi,
My dad just bought an XKR 09 and the voice activated dialing does not seem to work. There is a button on the steering wheel for it but nothing happens when you press it. The phone will work if you use the menu to dial out and the button does work to answer/hang up.

Does the car not come with voice activated dialing?

If it doesn't come with it can you have it installed?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Paul,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to the XK/XKR section. Members here with the same model will be able to advise on the telephone system options.

When you get a minute, please follow this link to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't believe the car has voice activated dialing. Am I mistaken?

The handy thing about that button is it acts as a mute button. So you can click it to quickly mute the stereo if you need to talk to your passenger, etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I have to kick myself for not keeping track the information I found about this a year back or so, but as i recall, the Jag did come with voice command. However it was so problem pledged that Jaguar Cooperate required it to be deactivated (or removed). If I understood correctly, it sounded like this was done immediately upon delivery to the dealership.
I thought I recall that some owners got the car with it working, but the first visit to the dealership had the system reprogrammed and turned off... Guess owners were pretty ticked off at Jag.
I question the info for accuracy, as I recall it in forum content only, and wonder why it was not simply fixed for the following year....
Anyone else have more solid data?

Further digging says its a module... An I know its not installed on my XK

Last edited by CleverName; 05-09-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Wires

I had first noticed something was missing when I checked my battery the first time. To the right of the battery where the NAV DVD unit is there two disconnected wires. I later realized this is where the Voice Mdule was that were removed to "help" with the JD Powers reliability ratings. Apparently yes the system was hit or miss and Jag didn't want to lose points on what is a optional extra on most brands.

Somewhere on the forum people have bought the module (hardware) for the XF and fitted it to the XK but I don't know if they could reactivate the function (software) without dealer assistance.

If you want to pursue this I would recommend going through the Dealership. You will defintley need the VAM from another Jaguar model line.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mike V
I had first noticed something was missing when I checked my battery the first time. To the right of the battery where the NAV DVD unit is there two disconnected wires. I later realized this is where the Voice Mdule was that were removed to "help" with the JD Powers reliability ratings. Apparently yes the system was hit or miss and Jag didn't want to lose points on what is a optional extra on most brands.

Somewhere on the forum people have bought the module (hardware) for the XF and fitted it to the XK but I don't know if they could reactivate the function (software) without dealer assistance.

If you want to pursue this I would recommend going through the Dealership. You will defintley need the VAM from another Jaguar model line.
I spoke to the dealer before I posted, but they just said it doesn't have it and you cannot retro fit it. I thought that this was strange and that they were probably just being unhelpful/lazy. I don't think they would like to help me and if I can't do it with out dealer help I think I'll just forget about it. I doubt the dealership would take this on.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 AM

Hi, new to the Jaguar family. Just bought a 2014 XK and have the same problems with the voice activation. Manual doesn't say this is an option just how to work it. Also my side view mirrors when in reverse only the passenger side "dips". Tried following the instructions on the manual, which make little sense, and nothing. Trip back to dealer or does anyone have suggestions? Thank you

Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The XK workshop manual implies that only Japanese spec cars had voice control. My 07 XKR is originally from Japan but the nav unit has been changed or updated to support the local maps. I seem to have a half and half system though because my voice button doesn't act as a mute button or do anything else for that matter. My X350 used to act like that when I changed the config to tell it it had voice when it didn't. That was a Japanese spec car as well and had voice activated nav but nothing else and you had to be running a Japanese nav disc and the Japanese language selected to be able to use it otherwise you just got an error message.

I know that there was an issue with the X351 XJ's when they were first shipped and that voice was deactivated on them until a software update came out in 2011 to fix a few issues, one of which was voice.

The XF documentation implies that the voice control is actually integral with the nav unit on that car so there doesn't appear to be a separate unit. Interestingly, although there have been many different part numbers for XF nav units, most of them match the many numbers for the XK units so it makes sense that the XK is voice capable to some extent.

For the XF:

Navigation user voice commands are made using the JaguarVoice system. The ICM (information control module) processes the analogue signal from the JaguarVoice switch into a digital signal. The digital signal is passed from the ICM (information control module) onto the MOST (media orientated systems transport) system to the JaguarVoice control unit which is integral with the navigation computer.

The navigation computer sends an instruction via the MOST (media orientated systems transport) ring to the IAM (integrated audio module) to turn on the microphone facility.

The microphone is hardwired to the IAM (integrated audio module). The spoken voice command signals are relayed from the IAM (integrated audio module) via the MOST (media orientated systems transport) ring to the navigation computer for processing.

The processed voice command is relayed from the navigation computer to the Touch-screen.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
1st Timer (05-11-2013), amcdonal86 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Well that's annoying isn't it?!!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
The XK workshop manual implies that only Japanese spec cars had voice control. My 07 XKR is originally from Japan but the nav unit has been changed or updated to support the local maps. I seem to have a half and half system though because my voice button doesn't act as a mute button or do anything else for that matter. My X350 used to act like that when I changed the config to tell it it had voice when it didn't. That was a Japanese spec car as well and had voice activated nav but nothing else and you had to be running a Japanese nav disc and the Japanese language selected to be able to use it otherwise you just got an error message.

I know that there was an issue with the X351 XJ's when they were first shipped and that voice was deactivated on them until a software update came out in 2011 to fix a few issues, one of which was voice.

The XF documentation implies that the voice control is actually integral with the nav unit on that car so there doesn't appear to be a separate unit. Interestingly, although there have been many different part numbers for XF nav units, most of them match the many numbers for the XK units so it makes sense that the XK is voice capable to some extent.

For the XF:

Navigation user voice commands are made using the JaguarVoice system. The ICM (information control module) processes the analogue signal from the JaguarVoice switch into a digital signal. The digital signal is passed from the ICM (information control module) onto the MOST (media orientated systems transport) system to the JaguarVoice control unit which is integral with the navigation computer.

The navigation computer sends an instruction via the MOST (media orientated systems transport) ring to the IAM (integrated audio module) to turn on the microphone facility.

The microphone is hardwired to the IAM (integrated audio module). The spoken voice command signals are relayed from the IAM (integrated audio module) via the MOST (media orientated systems transport) ring to the navigation computer for processing.

The processed voice command is relayed from the navigation computer to the Touch-screen.
Interesting...

Human speech software has come a long way, but requires a decently performing processor for decent response time...

We sometimes forget the complex interaction that is occurring when we speak into a microphone and something is done based on the speech, such as turning something on or off, or moving something, etc

From the idea in your mind to an actual electronic or physical action...impressive

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Interesting...

Human speech software has come a long way, but requires a decently performing processor for decent response time...

We sometimes forget the complex interaction that is occurring when we speak into a microphone and something is done based on the speech, such as turning something on or off, or moving something, etc

From the idea in your mind to an actual electronic or physical action...impressive
Voice command worked quite well in my 06 Lexus... Sigh....
I do miss it.... (Voice command, not the car...)

Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 AM

Thank U. I am off to the dealer this morning. Let him explain what is, isn't or should be about the 2014 models since everything is under warranty. Danged manuals sometimes read as if someone forgot to include certain steps

Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Timer
Hi, new to the Jaguar family. Just bought a 2014 XK and have the same problems with the voice activation. Manual doesn't say this is an option just how to work it. Also my side view mirrors when in reverse only the passenger side "dips". Tried following the instructions on the manual, which make little sense, and nothing. Trip back to dealer or does anyone have suggestions? Thank you
me too my left rear mirror do not move when in reverse....
and i do have a noise from the brakes after releasing the pedal for 3 to 5 sec, is there something i can do alone, spraying ?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

My 2013 XKR does not have any voice command function and there is no reference to it in the manual. The button on the steering wheel is only a mute button as confirmed in the manual--this same button on the 2011 XJ I had did operate the voice command and it worked very well. I did not expect voice command in the XKR because it was not listed in the features when I ordered the car. However, I wish it did and don't understand why Jaguar does not offer this in the XK series. Would be great if this could be retrofitted but not holding my breath.

The auto dip function of the right side mirror only is the way it works--the left mirror does not do this.

1st Timer (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I love driving my XKR, I am baffled every time I'm in it as to why Jaguar is so behind the times when it comes to some things (e.g. navi, voice commands) yet even with the pack with others (e.g. led lighting, suspension & transmission technology).

Our 2006 Lexus has voice command and navi technology that blows 2012 Jaguar models into the dirt. Even a $25,000 Ford, Chrysler and GM product is leaps and bounds ahead of Jaguar when it comes to these features.

I'm also amazed at how Jaguar consistently doesn't listen to it's buyers when it comes to complaints about antiquated features and manufacturing defects. Though they've come a long way with reliability, they still have a long road ahead of them to travel until they've caught up with nearly every other car manufacturer out there.

Jeff2130 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Jaguar vs Other Rides

Originally Posted by intdiamond
As much as I love driving my XKR, I am baffled every time I'm in it as to why Jaguar is so behind the times when it comes to some things (e.g. navi, voice commands) yet even with the pack with others (e.g. led lighting, suspension & transmission technology).

Our 2006 Lexus has voice command and navi technology that blows 2012 Jaguar models into the dirt. Even a $25,000 Ford, Chrysler and GM product is leaps and bounds ahead of Jaguar when it comes to these features.

I'm also amazed at how Jaguar consistently doesn't listen to it's buyers when it comes to complaints about antiquated features and manufacturing defects. Though they've come a long way with reliability, they still have a long road ahead of them to travel until they've caught up with nearly every other car manufacturer out there.
I also have a 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible. Although the technology is a bit ahead of my 2011 XKR 175 I go for the XKR when I reach for the keys. Yes, the Jaguar technology is a bit behind (not as much as some believe). Every review I've read about the infotainment system says it is slow. I don't find it so slow to be of concern (it works perfect). The navigation system also works perfect. Although there is room for improvement with Jaguar electronics compared to Japanese cars, I'd rather drive the Jaguar any day. The only time I go for the keys to the G37 is when it is perfect weather for the convertible. The brakes on my XKR 175 are far better than the G37. To compare the Jaguar to the Nissan GTR (mechanically and technologically way ahead of Jaguar) is a different story. However, the XKR has class which the GTR lacks. With all things being equal, which they are never, the Jaguar is still a great car for the price. Many articles I've read indicate the F-Type will be transformed into a real performance sports car (modern technology, launch control, dual clutch tranny, AWD, etc). It's going to be interesting to see where Tata Motors takes the Jaguar brand. If I could merge the Nissan GTR and the XKR into one car I would have my perfect ride. However, for now I feel very privileged to be the owner of my 2011 XKR 175--I never get tired of looking at it and driving it. The G37 has voice control but I can do without it to drive the Jag.

Last edited by DGL; 05-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Ozmag (11-21-2015)
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
me too my left rear mirror do not move when in reverse....
and i do have a noise from the brakes after releasing the pedal for 3 to 5 sec, is there something i can do alone, spraying ?
I found this thread that mentions two TSBs regarding brake noises:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-turns-79149/

Read BlackXKRs post. Maybe one will apply to your problem.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Default voice command

Went to the dealer and NO voice command. BUMMER! But, you can press the "talking face" button on the steering wheel to answer the phone and hang up. Besides muting the radio. If your phone has a talking mode, guess this would be the only way to make your phone dial a number without wrapping yourself around a pole trying to find names on the pad.

Also, only the passenger side rear view mirror "dips" on reverse. Park assist comes on automatically on reverse, when parking head first, you have to press the assist manually. Doesn't activate like on reverse.

The rear windows on the XK convertible CAN be lowered independently of the convertible top. This is something new that I discovered accidentally and is mentioned in the manual. Just touch the button as if to lower the convertible but for about a second and the windows go down. The opposite to bring them up. Dealer tech didn't know this. It is needed when you have a bar code access gate and you stand there like a dummy waving your arms for security to lift the gate. Model is very new and the dealers haven't received full training yet.

To open the passenger door, just pull on the drivers door latch a bit and passenger door opens. No more stretching over to open the door.

Dealer was very helpful and didn't say DUMMY (at least not that I could hear, )

Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Well said DGL!!!

DGL (05-12-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
To compare the Jaguar to the Nissan GTR (mechanically and technologically way ahead of Jaguar) is a different story.
Just been through that decision process myself, and drove several examples of both. They are roughly the same price for the same age & mileage, and I was tempted by the true supercar performance of the GT-R. The 4WD and the sequential 'box make it a very, very quick car. But the ride is very firm on London streets, even in 'comfort' mode, and the car bumps & thumps over speed humps & potholes. It just lacks the XKR's refinement, not to mention the Jag's sense of luxury. And then there's the 6-monthly service intervals and the hassle of learning a whole new marque 'ecosystem'.

So I went for an XKR 75 - a bit more sporting than the standard XKR, but easier to live with on a daily basis than the GT-R.

Quick Reply: XKR voice activated dialing