XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR vs New M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default XKR vs New M6

So I'm at Barnes & Noble this eve and I check out a new BMW mag that is hyping the new M6. It says it blows away the old one. I'm still a fan of the V10 but that's another topic.

So I got to thinking... Occasionally even here I hear people talk about aftermarket wheels or something to keep our cars fresh. Well the XKR looks way better than the previous M6 - so much so although I love the V10 sound and power etc I was so smitten by the curvaceous, svelte yet predatory lines of the XK that I went for an XKR. And the motor is no slouch either!

Anyhow, I then begin comparing it to the new M6. And here again the XK hands down is more handsome. The new 6 is somewhat square and flat looking. Also looks bigger and heavier. And it only has 40 more hp than the XKR but is heavier I believe. I'm sure it will pull harder but the difference will be minimal and the odds of facing one on the street and being dumb enough to max these cars out are slim to none.

I wonder why with cars that look like that coming out why we even remotely consider the notion that our beloved XK could soon look dated... Not in this particular company. In fact the last XK is still gorgeous in coupe form. Arguably more timeless than ours - albeit less "modern aggressive" if that makes sense.

Long story short - I am a new owner of an 11' that considered the latest offerings including a coming M6 and found the XKR the better looking/ownership prospect! So you guys with 07's and 08's you're doing even better because its essentially the same car (less a few ponies)!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking

Long story short - I am a new owner of an 11' that considered the latest offerings including a coming M6 and found the XKR the better looking/ownership prospect! So you guys with 07's and 08's you're doing even better because its essentially the same car (less a few ponies)!
On looks I will agree with you. However, having owned an 07 XKR and now a 2010 XKR, the difference in handling and performance is *significant*. The ride of my 2010 XKR is also better.

I have to say I have never owned a BMW, but have ridden in some with work colleagues and such. I can't remember one that I rode in that did not have a *very* firm ride. The interior designs are very different from Jag interiors. Maybe I would call them "German"?? Lots of square corners and hard lines. I have not ridden in a "high end" model, which I am sure has more interior room.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Classic lines could be considered dated by some.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking

When I started looking for a new car, I opened my eyes and it became very apparent that, for the most part, the design of cars mimics the people where the cars are made.

German cars are a refection of the German people. Strong and sturdy.

Italian cars are a reflection of the Italian people. All about romance and sex, but very impractical.

The Jags are a reflection of the British people. Classy, refined, with understated elegance.

Think about this: When a woman wants to buy a pair of sexy shoes, does she buy German shoes...or Italian shoes?

It's the same with cars. :-)

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

what does one prefer Sir, a Saville Row suit, or a Hugo Boss one?

Both fine examples of modern super GT's, as we're on a Jaguar forum, the opinions will be towards the XKR, on looks alone it's far more attractive, but what type of buyer is an M6 buyer?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have owned a few M cars and currently own 3 BMW's including the M5. I love those cars but I also love the XK that I have. Now the new M6 is fine and dandy but all the bs you have to do with the I drive. Set up race mode, set up suspension, set up this set up that. Call me old fashion but I like to just get in and go not get in, get the owner's manual and set up crap just to drive it.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with the BMW....

It isn't a Jaguar

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It's pointless trying to analyze why people choose the cars they do, or whether they chose well. We all have different tastes, priorities, needs and wants, and I'm just glad we don't all drive the same vehicle.

Every car has a purpose...Mercedes make fine taxis, we should all have an Audi AWD "winter beater" to save our Jags from the elements, a 911 for when we want to go unnoticed (particularly at track events), a Ferrari/Aston/Maserat/Lamboi so we can say we do, and aspire to purchase a Bugatti or McLaren because it's important to have a goal. Acura and Infiniti make great cars for the kids, BMW for up and comers who have yet to form their own identity, and the domestic brands for everyone else.

So let's be tolerant of all car designs...and their buyers

Bruce

The following users liked this post:
2ndeagle (04-08-2021)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I love them all. In fact, I'd venture to say my personal historical repertoire is about as diverse as any! Just stating that from a looks perspective the XK is not remotely close to looking dated IMHO. Perhaps only in the context that it's been around since 07 in US.

The M6 will be more focused no doubt. And more heavy. I'd rather harden my XKR a bit than have an uglier car for extra track tenths I'll never use - again that's just me! But there is obviously a huge market for it and I'm not knocking M at all. I've owned like 4 of them and will own more before its all over!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It's okay to diss the mighty M. A few years ago they had a problem with their engines blowing up. One actually blew right in front of me on the track, dropping an oil slick in a fast corner that just about took me out.

I forgot to poke fun at Lexus...imagine forgetting the brand that cured insomnia???

Guess I like the Jaaag as well

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Man, I think there may be some similarities between cars and women...

Is the same true for men and cars for women? Enquiring minds want to know...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I found this thread very interesting since my wife and I are in the process of selecting her next car (she is currently driving a 2010 MB E550 coupe). We want to step up a little, so our short list of prospects includes the XKR coupe, the BMW 650i coupe, and the new MB SL550. We drove the BMW and were not very impressed--very poor interior space utilization for such a big car and not nearly as attractive as the XKR (the exterior just doesn't float my boat and the interior is very spartan). It also was not very fast--not even close to her current ride. I'm sure the M6 will be a lot quicker, but that car, when available, will probably cost upwards of $120K since the 650i is in the $100K range, so it's not really in the same league pricewise as the XKR. Not really sure I like the looks of the new SL from the pictures I've seen (I like the outgoing model better) and since there are none available to see in person or drive, we pretty much ruled it out. We're going with the XKR on a 2 year lease so we can walk away if we want at the end when the model is either discontinued or radically changed as the Jaguar rumor mill currently suggests. Hands down it's the best combination of looks and performance.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

One more difference between the XK/Rs and the German cars.

We all like to feel, look a bit special in the sea of the gray masses. The Jag will lift you out of there but, the BMWs and Mercedeses, as common as they are in CA, will not do so. In my area there the German cars are dime a dozen while the Jag will always get some special attention.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
UKWyldcat (04-08-2021)