XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

xk cyl head

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xk cyl head

I have been cleaning out the shed and found this cyl head. I believe it is from an xk150. It has valves in it too. also have the covers. anyone able to verify the series and possible value.

Attached Thumbnails xk cyl head-xk-head1.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts
Old 06-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Default 150 head and covers.

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Thanks Fraser, It appear then that the head is for a (1960/61) XK150 and 150 ‘S’ models. Still have no idea of value or if anyone would ever want it. I saw somewhere while reading that the head should have been painted gold. there is no gold on this head. I guess what I will do is restore the covers and try to sell them as an item.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

There will usually always be somebody wanting a Jaguar XK cylinder head somewhere ! This is because they can get seriously corroded by the coolant passages and repairs are costly so another head in good condition is better. The main problem was that so few people bothered to put in anti-freeze if they were in warm climates not being aware that this stuff also contains corrosion inhibitors. As far as I know, Jaguar issued special instructions for cars not having anti-freeze, and advised that an inhibitor product was used instead

I don't think the head is exclusive to the XK150, it probably went on the higher performance saloons. Jaguar were too poor a company to have separate cylinder heads for low production models like the XK sports cars. It sounds like somebody stripped off the gold paint some time in the past.

You could put it up on eBay and see what enquiries you get. I have sold stuff in the past and was amazed what people paid for stuff I thought was junk !!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 PM

Sounds like a plan. I have a bunch of parts I picked up over 25 years ago at a body shop, while my 70 xke was in for repairs after and accident which was a total loss. I bought the car back from the insurance company for under $500 and sold it 10 years later without doing anything too it for $2500. I could have parted it out but didn't have the time.

all those part I took off the shop owners hands has sat idle for all that time. some of the items include a v12 block, autotrans, starter gears, torque converter etc and a variety of odd parts, of which I have no idea what they are from.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ladagobago
Sounds like a plan. I have a bunch of parts I picked up over 25 years ago at a body shop, while my 70 xke was in for repairs after and accident which was a total loss. I bought the car back from the insurance company for under $500 and sold it 10 years later without doing anything too it for $2500. I could have parted it out but didn't have the time.

all those part I took off the shop owners hands has sat idle for all that time. some of the items include a v12 block, autotrans, starter gears, torque converter etc and a variety of odd parts, of which I have no idea what they are from.
Have no doubts, it will all sell !