XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

XK120 ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK120 ignition problems

Hi there,
i have a 1950 xk 120 ots.. I've been toying with it over the years and although running beautifully in the garage it starts missfiring after 2/6 miles. I've replaced all the ignition components, balanced carbs etc but to no avail.
I bit the bullet and brought it to the recognised expert locally,who after doing everything I did, has concluded that the coil is not getting enough voltage. He has suggested running a wire directly to the coil from the positive on the battery.
I have a kenlow fan fitted and he has said this is taking a lot of the current from the system.
He reckons the loss of voltage is due to an old wiring loom.
I am relunctant to modify the system. He also suggested a differn't coil which only needs 10 volts.
I'm a bit lost at this stage so would appreciate any opinions.
Regards,
Scott

Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

When it starts acting up, feel the coil, carefully, to see if it is hot or leaking. If hot or leaking replace with like coil. Check points, might idle fine, but a bit out of adjustment will cause some problem. Make sure all ground wires are tight. Check amp/volt gauge for correct wiring. Ignition can be a problem at key as wires could get hot and loose their connection. Check that distributor bearings are not worn. Good Luck.