XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

XK150 FHC Sunvisors : how fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK150 FHC Sunvisors : how fitted?

Hello to all,

My 1957 xk150 FHC having no sunvisors I purchased a pair of brand new reproduction ones. The set included the mountings that screw onto the roof with three screws, and the extended L shape rods that slide into the much longer strips that also take the perspex shades. The short end of the L shape rod has a threaded end, which slots through the hole in the mounting. So far so good. However what was not included is whatever holds the L shaped rod in place in the mounting and also stops it from flopping about. I would imagine this would be a fairly stiff spring, a washer or two, and of course a nut or two.
My extensive searches having failed to come up with any pictures, or even description, of what I am missing, I am wondering if anyone can give me some guidance, please?
Ideally a picture, or else a description including the size of the spring if indeed there is one. And even where to buy same if the proper items are available?

Also, at present the headlining is simply covering over the whole area where the fitment holes are. Is there anything special I need to do to avoid any problems with the headlining, or will it be OK just to poke holes through for the 3 screws holding the mounting in place, perhaps cutting a proper hole for where the threaded end of the L shaped rod needs to stick through?

Does anyone even have a picture of the area where the fitment holes are, please? (Through the headlining I can feel a finger-tip size hole that I imagine accepts the threaded end of the L shaped rod, but I can't actually feel any little holes that I imagine must be there to accept the three screws).

Many thanks
Tony

Last edited by tonycharente; 07-08-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Hello again
An answer to my own questions, for those that might find it useful, and a fresh question...

I managed to find and cut to length a suitable compression spring and using a nut and lock nut to compress the spring and thus pull the L shape rod tight has worked just fine. I then took the plunge to poke holes through the headlining for the 3 screws holding the mounting in place, which also worked just fine : the holes were there and with the same thread as the 3 screws! Then using the mounting plate as a template I poked a fourth hole through to receive the end of the L shape rod, and then cut the material with a cutter to allow the passage of the rod with the spring and nuts in place. All went perfectly so now I have the mounting in place, with no damage to my headlining.

Fresh question
I then assembled the perspex shade into the long chrome strip, inserted the chrome blanking plug into one end, and slid the resultant sunvisor onto the L shape rod. However whereas prior to assembling the perspex shade into the long chrome strip this latter had been a tightish fit onto the L shape rod, now it wasn't tight at all - the insertion of the perspex shade no doubt slightly expanding the long chrome strip so that it now hardly squeezes the L shape rod at all. The result is that the sunvisor just hangs vertically down under its own weight. Any ideas how to cure this, please?

Many thanks
Tony

Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default expand the groove in the rod.

Hello,

The persplex part of the sunviser can be slided out of the L shaped rod.
This rod has a groove that you can make a little wider, so it clamps better.
The groove on my sunviser is about 10 cm long as I remember ( could be shorter )

Regards,
Peter Jan

Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 AM

Hello Peter Jan,
and thank you for your helpful reply. In the case of my recently purchased reproduction sunvisor kit of two sunvisors, for some strange reason one of the L shape rods has a slot at its end, (which I could have tried opening up a little to make it a tighter fit), but the other one has a tapered end (the opposite of what would be useful...). I didn't notice that they were different, and happened to fit the tapered one first. However I have solved the "flopping down" problem by wrapping one layer of thin adhesive tape around the rod. This has made it a nice tight fit in the sunvisor. Time will tell whether this work long term...

I do, though, still have one further question. As stated I attached the short, threaded, end of the L shape rod to the mounting plate using a suitably sized spring cut to an appropriate length. However I have found it hard to adjust the tension of the spring between being too loose (and the whole sunvisor drops down too easily) and too tight (and the whole sunvisor is difficult to move at all (as in swinging it round sideways to cover the side window). Can anybody tell me the correct détails of the spring, please? Ideally a Jaguar part number and/or source to buy it from. Or at least the correct dimensions of this spring (length, outer and inner diameters, and thickness of the wire).

Many thanks
Tony