XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get monitors ready for inspection??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Angry How do I get monitors ready for inspection??

2001 xKR

After completeing a bunch of work on my car I cleared and codes I had and drove the vehicle for a full week even putting 100 miles plus of freeway driving in one day (Including some very spirited driving). One code was for the speed sensor in transmission and he other was a lean bank 1 condition if that makes a difference. I did the transmisison work(conductor plate, new valve sleeves, full tuneup and 02 sensors)

Well I bring it in for inspection and it still says vehicle monitors not ready. What do I do to make them ready? Kick my car? Allthough that a bit extreme it works for getting candy out of the vending machine. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Old 08-08-2014, 08:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,817 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Driving around will eventually complete all the OnBoard Monitoring Tests but doing Drive Cycles is a more systematic and quicker approach. Here are the DIAGNOSTIC MONITORS DRIVE CYCLES procedures for each of the Tests:

A. HEATED OXYGEN SENSORS MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
Upstream (Universal) oxygen sensors:

1 Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.
2 Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
3 Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.
4 Repeat step 3.
5 Idle engine for 11 minutes.

Downstream oxygen sensors:
1 Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
2 Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 – 97 km/h (30 – 60 mph) for 10 minutes.
3 Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2 Idle engine for 3 minutes.

B. ADAPTIVE FUEL MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
2 Idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

C. MISFIRE MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
1 Record flagged DTC (s) and accompanying WDS DTC Monitor freeze frame(s) data.
2 Fuel level > 25%.
3 Start the engine at a coolant temperature lower than the recorded freeze frame value (from Step 1).
4 Drive the vehicle to the recorded freeze frame conditions for 4 minutes. If CHECK ENGINE MIL flashes, lower the engine speed until the flashing stops.

NOTE regarding misfire monitor DTCs:
If, on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

If, on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer present the MIL will be deactivated.

If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

D. CATALYST EFFICIENCY MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

2 Drive the vehicle in a steady state condition between 1300 – 3000 rpm without stops or starts for a minimum of 5 minutes

E. EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
1 Ensure that fuel filler cap is correctly fitted and fully closed (minimum three clicks, clockwise).
2 Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.
3 Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).
4 Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.
5 Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”. If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned. Conduct a “green ECM” Drive Cycle as described in Technical Service Bulletin.
6 Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted. Stop vehicle and switch OFF the ignition. Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds, then restart the engine.
7 Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.
8 (0.040 inch EVAP Test) View WDS “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”, “CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”. Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h (60 mph). Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
9 (0.020 inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes.
10 Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”, “CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”. WDS should give an indication that the test is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
11 If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:
12 Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Repeat Step 10. If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from Step 6.
13 Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.

F. EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
2 Drive the vehicle in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. Maintain a steady speed for 1 minute, then lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for a minimum of 10 seconds.

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT DRIVE CYCLE
To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management drive cycle has not been developed for XK8/XKR. Refer to the individual DTC for specific drive cycle / monitoring conditions.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-10-2014 at 03:04 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by GGG:
Cambo (08-09-2014), cjd777 (08-08-2014), JgaXkr (08-08-2014), jimmiejag (01-10-2015), Johnken (08-10-2014), mkrion (08-15-2014), RJ237 (08-15-2014), XxSlowpokexX (08-08-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

AAHHHHHH THANK YOU! I more than likely did not driveunder those circumstances

Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default One Trick

The evap sensor is a bitch to reset the rest mostly reset in a trip around town. Tank has to be in the mid range (over a quarter under 3/4s) and you can't slosh the gas around. It sets when the car is first started and cold and if the gas sloshes at all it won't reset at all no even if you drive 1,000 miles. I couldn't get it to reset (live on a hill with a steep driveway). Took it to the airport, left it overnight, drove it home (all flat) and everything was reset by the time I got home. I spent about two months driving the various cycles until I did that.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great information! Thanks for providing it.