XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 XKR, is it a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 01 XKR, is it a good deal?

Just got 01 Black on Black convertible, with 68K miles.
Will run me about $16K all in, probably not the best deal, but autocheck is clean, 2 owners before me.
What do you think?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You have already bough it, of course it is a good deal. Did you go through the check list in the FAQ above?

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Jaguar!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

A loaded question...the usual response woudl be......if it's in good shape, driven carefully and well cared for, it should be nice, if it was driven by a wild man with hourly burnouts and not serviced, it could be a handful.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Priced right

I bought my 2000 XKR Coupe with 65k miles in Oct for $15k (flew to Texas to get it). It's in nice overall shape except for door dinges. After purchase I replaced the timing chains, tensioners etc; they were cracked. I thought I might have paid too much, but I haven't seen another that cheap since, and don't have buyers remorse. Coupes are funny. They cost less than converts when new, but since they are so rare, they seem to be commanding the same or more than verts. (There is only a few in the 2000-2003 MY range on Auto Trader in the whole country.) I really haven't priced verts that much, but yours being a year newer I think you paid a fair price. They made 90.5k cars in total (96-06): 14.5k XKR verts and 9.7k XKR coupes....so they are special indeed.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I bought my 2000 XKR Coupe with 65k miles in Oct for $15k (flew to Texas to get it). It's in nice overall shape except for door dinges. After purchase I replaced the timing chains, tensioners etc; they were cracked. I thought I might have paid too much, but I haven't seen another that cheap since, and don't have buyers remorse. Coupes are funny. They cost less than converts when new, but since they are so rare, they seem to be commanding the same or more than verts. (There is only a few in the 2000-2003 MY range on Auto Trader in the whole country.) I really haven't priced verts that much, but yours being a year newer I think you paid a fair price. They made 90.5k cars in total (96-06): 14.5k XKR verts and 9.7k XKR coupes....so they are special indeed.

I tried to purchase a coupe twice, but every seller thought that they were sitting on a gold mine and would not move on price.
I havenot seem my XKR yet, it is still in florida, waiting on transport, however autocheck shows 2 owners, no accidents and auction report is flawless. Also, I have 14 days warranty on anything above $500 to fix.

Indeed coupe is better, IMHO, but my wife was leaning towards convertible, since we never onwed one, especially of such magnitude.
I do own 82 XJS HE, that I built from the ground up and 62 Mark2 3.8/5speed... so I am not new to Jaguars, just new to fairly reliable ones

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Also, please tell me why is it that every black unit is usually more money that other colors, especially black on black? This is what I was told, in case if I need to resell, that B on B would sell before anything else?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Just because!

Attached Thumbnails 01 XKR, is it a good deal?-l0-006g.gif  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Also, please tell me why is it that every black unit is usually more money that other colors, especially black on black? This is what I was told, in case if I need to resell, that B on B would sell before anything else?
Marketing always wins! Jag chose B on B for the 2002 100's - and everyone wanted one - especially me... I may or may not have paid a premium for mine, but it sure turns heads - and with an ivory interior - heaven, sex and ice cream all together...DaleD

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM

How much different are 2003 XKR's from the 4.0L units? I mean power wise and 6 speed transmission? And also, are XK8 significantly slower than the supercharged version?
I still have not driven my XKR (it is being shipped), but drove 99 XK8 before and was moderately pleased. To tell you the truth, my unrestricted and mildly modified 82 XJS is slightly faster, but I did like the handling and interior quality.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mish, I'm reminded of a personal experience - buying a Porche 914 in CT in 1970 - actually, I wasn't able to buy it - the dealer let me "purchase" one!

Anyway, we are sitting there writing out a check for the full price, and my wife asks "Is it a "porch" or a "porsha"? The salesman turned to her and said, "Lady, you just bought one - call it whatever you like"! No s@#t!!!

Just go and enjoy what you have bought - you will love it - I guaraaunteee! DaleD

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a fair price. You're gonna love it, man. This is a great site for finding help and saving money. Lots of classy people on this xk/xkr link. Only the coolest guys drive
xk's. Welcome to the club.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I bought my 00 XKR Vert in Carnival Red w/ 68k for $10,500 not too far from me. Needed rear tires, still had stock tensioners, and the driver's fender repainted (slight clearcoat delamination at the bottom). The owner bought a new XKR and between this and 7 or 8 other toy cars, one had to go. Old lawyer who liked the car and had several binders filled with receipts.

Last edited by 80sRule; 02-08-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Mish Mish,
if you checked her out pretty thoroughly (and more important) really love the XK, then I'd say you did just fine!

These XK's are very special vehicles indeed - show her some love, drive her often, and she will reward you with plenty of gratification.

-Skip

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Well, she is on the truck now, will see her before weekend, I hope.
Ofcourse my ultimate goal would be to get into 07+ aluminum version, but one has to start somewhere.
For now, please enjoy my 62 Mark2 project

Attached Thumbnails 01 XKR, is it a good deal?-sep9_1.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-both.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-sep9_6.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-domkr.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-parts2.jpg  

01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0417.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0406.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0136.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-jag.jpg  

Last edited by Mish_Mish; 02-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
How much different are 2003 XKR's from the 4.0L units? I mean power wise and 6 speed transmission? And also, are XK8 significantly slower than the supercharged version?
I still have not driven my XKR (it is being shipped), but drove 99 XK8 before and was moderately pleased. To tell you the truth, my unrestricted and mildly modified 82 XJS is slightly faster, but I did like the handling and interior quality.
I read a recent post that stated that more than 800 improvements were made in the 2003 MY. Certainly the nikosil and cam belt tensioned issues were fixed.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you already bought it, now you can enjoy it.

Are you planning to fix it and resell it, or use it as your daily driver?

I am enjoying putting lots of miles on my XK8, but it does cost money to fix things that wear out or leak. Just read the XK8 FAQ's and get to know the facts.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Mish, You bought it, enjoy it, and don't worry about the price unless there are issues that were visible, but not disclosed. This forum rules, have yet to not find an answer, guidance and overall very cool people that are generous with their time and patience to us newbies. Have fun.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you all for your kind welcome and all the advice so far.
I am sure my new toy and I will be happy here!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM

She is here, my beautiful black butterfly!

Here are some pictures.
So far I am happy with my blind purchase, however as expected she has few flaws.
1. steering wheel shakes a little, I suppose this is not that big of a deal
2. convertible top works, but makes hydraulic noise, similar of what Ford Taurus, with low power steering fluid level
3. Power antenna needs lubrication, last segment gets stuck.
4. some redneck mechanics bent rocker panel seems with poor lifting attempt, not too bad, will take me half hour to straighten and re-coat.
5. front bumper cover was never redone, so it has rock chips and one fading clear spot.
6. some wetness on transmission pan, I suppose pan gasket is giving up, perfect time to do transmission tuneup, with filter, gasket and fluid?
7. Ashtray cover does not stay closed, however looks perfectly intact, will research further.
8. traction control button did not want to disengage first time, but later did turn traction off.
9. I FOUND NO LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL!!! Both, my 62 MK2 and 82 XJS have it, yet $90K new XKR does not?
10. Front wheels have rather agressive negative camber, I suppose it is meant to be?
11. it sat on car transport under some leaky Civic and got transmission fluid all over itself, I cleaned most of it off, but it will take a lot longer to make black car shine, which is the least of my troubles.

On the bright side, underbelly is perfect, not a single bottom scrape. No signs of accidental damage, or repaint. Engine purrs like a kitten, transmission shifts like silk...

Attached Thumbnails 01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0431.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0433.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0434.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0436.jpg   01 XKR, is it a good deal?-img_0437.jpg  

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Congrats...a beautiful specimen !

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Steering wheel shakes a little, I suppose this is not that big of a deal

Check the inside rims really carefully for dents. If all is good, and tires are OK, try a Roadforce balance before moving on to any more radical fix.

2. convertible top works, but makes hydraulic noise, similar of what Ford Taurus, with low power steering fluid level

Normal sound

6. some wetness on transmission pan, I suppose pan gasket is giving up, perfect time to do transmission tuneup, with filter, gasket and fluid?

Get Mercedes Benz filter, gasket and fluid and you will save a bunch.

8. traction control button did not want to disengage first time, but later did turn traction off.

Sometimes regular use is all it needs.

Quick Reply: 01 XKR, is it a good deal?