XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05' xkr squeaky brakes.. kinda sick of it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 05' xkr squeaky brakes.. kinda sick of it..

I am pretty sure the squeak is comming from the front brakes. I have greased the retaining pins on all 4 corners.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Do you have new pads? New or refinished rotors? What kind of pads? Give us some history.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM

The Jag dealer replaced the front pads and rotors about 45,000 miles. This was done before i owned it. I went in to get a key and they told me they had been servicing the vehicle.I asked them why the were sqeaking and they told me "It's the nature of the beast" that the big brakes were just
noisy.
The calipers are the silver ones with the "R" logo on them. .That's about all I know..

Last edited by cohibarandy; 05-03-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

My first suggestioin before spending time or money is to drive to a secluded area and perform some repeated very aggressive braking and see if that cures the problem.

Next easiest and cheapest thing is to try some anti-squeal compund or moly-based grease on the backs of the pads.

If non of that works, new pads and properly refinished or new rotors may be in order. There are a number of theads on the forum regarding recommended brake pads.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks White XKR. The pads have some rubber sleeve on the back already. I put some anti-squeal on them anyway. I will try several very aggressive stops (again). But I may well have to just get some different pads like you suggest.
Funny thing is is that I believe it is just one corner giving me trouble.
Thsi isn't my first dance with squeaky brakes. I have owed (and still do ) many TR-6's.
It just kills me to pull up to the porsche show with my Jag sqeaking...

Last edited by cohibarandy; 05-03-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

In an older post, Brutal mentioned that the Brembos will glaze with less aggressive braking and the glaze will create the squeal. He suggested the same fix White XKR
told you . I was having the same problem, and have been aggressively braking and the squeals have pretty much gone away. Good luck

Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Great dealer service that gave ya there. Jesus.

Quick fix? Turn up the radio.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have Brembos on my 2005 XKR coupe and when I had the pads and rotors redone I installed Hawk street performance pads. The Hawk pads cause almost no dust, no noise and great stopping performance. In essence they have been superior to the OEM pads. I have never had an issue with the pads glazing over and wear has been minimal.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone with the advice on the "Several hard stops" as well as the brake pad suggestions. Since the brakes have less than 5K miles on them, I will try the easy fix first.
I am driving her today, so I will get aggressive on the stops and try to loosen the glaze. I guess I have a tendency to baby my automobiles whenever possible, but I have no qualms about using them as they designed to be used.
I will report back in within a few days, and once again thank you everyone for the input. You guys (and girls) are much more helpful than the BMW 3 series bunch that I used to hang with.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Simple beginner question

Hi,
My 04 xkr needs new brake pads. I bought the car equipped with cheap posi quiet ceramic, certainly NOT quiet, extremely loud squealing. Do I need to change systematically the rotors too? My rotors have multiple rings. Feels like very smooth bumpy rings at touch from center to outer... like very soft : ~~~~ when seen from above. Or better...see picture.. Not that obvious/visible but definitely can feel it at touch. Rotors still have a good thickness just these rings all . What do you think? Change it, resurface, keep it

See the 'grooves' very soft at touch as if my pads have teeth. They're bumpy at touch, very smooth too.
Thank you.

Last edited by alexander thegreat; 09-26-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Resurface at a local garage.

If you use a garage to reprofile the existing rotor/disc. Must have new pads if you go this route. The garage staff will know the min thickness too to keep to Spec.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Default More pics of rotor

I double checked the pads, the rotor, even asked a mechanic to look at it, everything seems ok. Hey the screeching is insanely loud at low speed. Weird for ceramic brakes that advertises low noise, it's even in the name "posi quiet"!!!! Lol. Quiet my a$$!

See how the grooves are 'bumpy' and smooth too the touch.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Gee Alex....Those rotors look great to me.....Lots of life there! I've never had Ceramic Pads, so I don't have any advice for you on those......but why don't you try some Power-stops several times and maybe it will knock out the squeaky noise for a while......Get some new Pads, and why not call the Guys at Frozen Rotors, like I told you last week and get a set of Hawk Pads.....

Billy Clyde

Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I guess should be glad I have a lowly XK8, not an XKR with Brembos. When I bought mine, the PO warned me about squealing brakes and I saw it as a repeated complaint on past repair orders. But in the three years and close to 20K miles, I have very rarely heard my brakes squeal at all. I wonder if it's because I do mountain driving fairly regularly and almost no slogging in heavy urban traffic.

Granville

Old 09-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Jaguar recommends to replace the rotors when they have worn 2 mm (so 1mm at each side), hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look pretty worn to me. How much does the lip stick out? Ie how much is worn? Maybe that is the cause for extra squeal?

I've seldom had front brakes squeal, rears all over, especially with my race pads.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by avos
Jaguar recommends to replace the rotors when they have worn 2 mm (so 1mm at each side), hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look pretty worn to me. How much does the lip stick out? Ie how much is worn? Maybe that is the cause for extra squeal?

I've seldom had front brakes squeal, rears all over, especially with my race pads.
The lip didn't stick out much maybe 1mm on the outside and 2 in the inside. Here are some more pictures if that helps.
Thanks

Thickness seems fine.

Can see the lip Thickness isn't too bad.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Gee Alex....Those rotors look great to me.....Lots of life there! I've never had Ceramic Pads, so I don't have any advice for you on those......but why don't you try some Power-stops several times and maybe it will knock out the squeaky noise for a while......Get some new Pads, and why not call the Guys at Frozen Rotors, like I told you last week and get a set of Hawk Pads.....

Billy Clyde
You're right Billy. I haven't called the guys at frozen rotors yet, I guess it's kind of hard to explain over the phone without the pictures so... But I'll give it a try tomorrow. Definitely thought any getting new pads, but there ones being about 700 miles now, shouldn't sound like this. I tried some power stops too.
The super loud squealing happens at very low/almost stopped speed, most people tells me it's normal. But that's really really loud and lasts 5, 6 sec until complete stop. Sounds like trains when they stop, like metal on metal grinding.
I'll call the guys, and probably will try with new pads and grease at the right spots.
I've read something about a metal plate behind the shims, is that something optional? Something to be bought extra with the shimmed pads maybe? Anyway I also posted more pics here and in the other post in case you guys spot something odd.

Thank you for your valuable help guys.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I would change the rotors, the max I ever did was 3mm (so about 1.5 at each side) but Jaguar recommends 2mm max. You are as you say also on 3mm,

Are you sure the squealing comes from the front?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by avos
I would change the rotors, the max I ever did was 3mm (so about 1.5 at each side) but Jaguar recommends 2mm max. You are as you say also on 3mm,

Are you sure the squealing comes from the front?
Nope, it's from the rear (my apologies if I said front before). The pictures are also rears.
Thanks.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Did you MEASURE the thickness? Hard to tell with the pictures, but there seem to be big lips o the outer edges.

If the rotors are grooved like that, it is hard to replace just the pads and expect them to just conform with the profile of the rotor. Reverse is true, too. If you replace the rotors with new ones, you should do the pads. Once the pads are off, double check the pad guides inside the calipers for wear. Pads are also directional, so be sure this is done right. Confusingly for a friction-based system, grease is also your friend (pads short edges, pins, and spring clip). Would not hurt to put some of that red goop on the back of pads either.

Separately, with grooving that bad on the back brakes, especially if the car has low miles, consider a caliper rebuild (should be cheap rubber seal and piston kits out there) in case your brakes are (or were) somehow binding.

FWIW, performance brakes normally call for semi-metallic pads because of superior heat tolerance. Problem is that they generate a lot of dust on those nice wheels. Ceramic pads are meant for lighter/slower cars. They are much better for dust, but performance is not as good.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 05' xkr squeaky brakes.. kinda sick of it..