XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 XKR x100 lightweight brake rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 XKR x100 lightweight brake rotor?

Anyone know of a lightweight solution for brake rotors?

I have the red brembo victory edition brakes, looking to reduce weight and increase performance if possible.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Depends on what you mean by increased performance.

If you are looking at reducing the unsprung weight for a more comfortable ride, you can easily go to the base single-piston setup of the XK8/XKR, 1999 and later. You would have to source calipers, smaller rotors, pads/hardware and brake lines. You probably would more then make up any expense by re-selling your current setup. When it comes down to braking performance on a street car, this setup would work just fine.

If you are looking at more track-type performance, I believe some out there offer a custom 6-piston Alcon setup. These might possibly be paired with lighter carbon-type rotors. Be ready to SPEND, though, these things are not cheap...

Now, the more logical step would be to find a shop out there making stock-sized carbon rotors, but I have not seen anything specific. They might start with a stock-sized rotor (thickness, outside diameter, etc), and do a custom hat with the right bolt pattern. Might have to be paired with compatible pads for that caliper.

Maybe you can expand on what you are trying to accomplish.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I should be more specific.

I need to replace my brakes, both front and rear, pads and rotors.

i was looking for a two piece lightweight steel rotor. I haven't been able to find one. Mostly looking to decrease rotational mass not really comfort or suspension control.

which rotor and pads do most xkr owners prefer? I don't like the longish pedal travel I currently have and the virtually zero initial bite from my current stock set up.

People le have said to go with either red stuff or yellow stuff or minteks. Akebono seem to also lack initial bite at low, crawling, traffic speed. Also I see rotor options that are non cross drilled, solid rotors, is that even possible for the brembo setup?

thanks

Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum RxJag,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RxJag
Thanks for the reply. I should be more specific.

I need to replace my brakes, both front and rear, pads and rotors.

i was looking for a two piece lightweight steel rotor. I haven't been able to find one. Mostly looking to decrease rotational mass not really comfort or suspension control.

which rotor and pads do most xkr owners prefer? I don't like the longish pedal travel I currently have and the virtually zero initial bite from my current stock set up.

People le have said to go with either red stuff or yellow stuff or minteks. Akebono seem to also lack initial bite at low, crawling, traffic speed. Also I see rotor options that are non cross drilled, solid rotors, is that even possible for the brembo setup?

thanks
Unless you can find any in carbon fiber you are wasting your time and money, the amount of weight that could be reasonably saved on a steel disc setup is negligible and you will not notice any difference.