Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100% Really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default 100% Really?

I just picked up my Jag from the shop today. It was time for the annual inspection, failure to do so can result in up to a $320 fine. And the local police like to set up road blocks just to check for valid stickers.

As the mechanic handed me the verdict I cringe as always. He had the jag on a lift for most of an hour and I figured he found something and it was going to be expensive as he was smiling broadly.

I was wrong, the old girl scored 100%, nothing, nada, zero, zilch, le rein, needs attention. Now don't get me wrong there are still a few things on my list but zippie this weekend the weather forecast says "top down - road trip", better start packing.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I too suffer from closure of the sphincter when the inspection guy comes out with the clipboard. Glad it went so well for you.

Now enjoy the road trip!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
this weekend the weather forecast says "top down - road trip", better start packing.
With my luck that's when a green shower would appear out of noplace.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I also just went through inspection in Pennsylvania and passed without a problem. When i lived in NJ (ugh), they used to stick a probe up the tailpipe to check emissions. I don't know if they still do that, but in PA they plug in an OBDll reader and if it doesn't pull any codes, you're done with emissions. Also, if you've put on less than 5,000 miles since the last inspection, they don't check for emissions at all!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

you dodged the bullet this time.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

In Indiana there are 4 counties, that need to be emission tested. My county is one of them. I read the codes, when I first got the car, and it told me the upper right O2 sensor was bad. I changed it, erased the code, and drove the car exclusively for a week. No engine light appeared, so I went to the test center.

They failed it, because the ECM had not cycled enough. I ended up buying a temporary plate, and then my trans went out. After locating, driving to get it with my X Type, flushing it out, because it came out of a 41,000 mile flood car, it took a couple 2 or 3 weeks to get it on the road. When the trans ODs it puts up a check engine light, as well as a bunch of messages. I erased the light, drove it for a couple of weeks, and back to the emission test center I go.

Then they said my 02 sensors weren't moving enough, even though they had a probe up the car's butt, and it was actually producing so few emissions, that it was between 10% and 5% of their standards. I tried to buy another temporary plate, and was refused, because I needed to take it to a certified mechanic, even though I had my Master Techs card, with my state ID# on it. I even ran the test on my Snapon OBDII reader, and it showed them different data, than their's was showing about my Oxygen sensors, including the new one. I was pretty upset, that I had to take it to Jimmy Joe Bob, so he could fix my car. I went to Auto zone, ran my tank almost dry, and put in catalytic converter cleaner. One of my friends signed off on it, using a fake business number(I think it was for a flower shop who's vans he worked on) and miraculously the sensors were working on their machine. That is only after I checked their plug, and found one of the connections was pushed back.

Apparently, almost all the cars they were checking had failed, and they did not think that was odd. I wrote a letter to the state emission agency, and they have yet to reply.....be cool.....Mike

Old 06-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I just picked up my Jag from the shop today. It was time for the annual inspection, failure to do so can result in up to a $320 fine. And the local police like to set up road blocks just to check for valid stickers.

As the mechanic handed me the verdict I cringe as always. He had the jag on a lift for most of an hour and I figured he found something and it was going to be expensive as he was smiling broadly.
I was wrong, the old girl scored 100%, nothing, nada, zero, zilch, le rein, needs attention. Now don't get me wrong there are still a few things on my list but zippie this weekend the weather forecast says "top down - road trip", better start packing.
Superb!
Really, really pleased for you, and I can relate to all you said.

When my UK yearly mot is due I get the same worrying feeling.....
My car is serviced throughout the year, tyres, bulbs, wipers etc replaced as required. Any squeaks / noises etc are checked out and dealt with immediately. She gets around 2-3 oil changes per year due to the diesel regen issues with this model, she's washed / shined cleaned n polished and looking good generally.

Before I go for the mot, I have a quick walk around myself, checking / double checking all lights / levels / tyre tread depths / brakes etc etc
She is ALWAYS washed and cleaned / polished, vacummed inside, glass cleaned and tyres blacked, really looking her best.
I get there and stay and watch like a nervous expectant father almost and invariably get a straight pass with no issues, touch wood.

The bit that gets me??
The owners who turn up late for their appointment with a couldn't care less attitude, rusty / dirty looking car that looks as though it just shouldn't be on the road.
You know the type, has "wash me" written on the boot lid, interior full of old coke bottle and McDonalds wrappers and cig ash everywherrrre.

They just leave it with a couldn't care less attitude, come back around an hour later and get a pass????
Lol

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

In Gilmer County, GA I go down to the tag office each year and pay about $30 for a new tag sticker.

Why would you live anywhere else?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Congratulations, the ole' cat surprised you. I picked my 2002 XKR up from the shop this afternoon where it's been for the past 3-4 weeks as the pesky driver's side rear hub was acting up again, and I had the front bumper resprayed (again) as I didn't like the way it turned out a couple of months ago. Even though I've been "suffering" by driving my 2010 XKR coupe during this time, I really missed my convertible. Yeah, it wiggles, jiggles, floats like a big '50's Buick, and has one finger steering, but boy is it beautiful, and it just feels so special to me. I appreciate the "skills," "athleticism," and handsomeness of my 5.0 L coupe, but the sensuality of the first gen XK/XKR series is just something to behold. Can't wait to drop the top and take it out tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Fulton,
I'll celebrate with you. Even though our Missouri emission inspection standards do not require ABS to be working, I was concerned since my usually random ASC/ABS/Stability Failure messages had been on most of the time lately. I took her in for inspection today and the messages cleared, so she passed with flying colors. The messages reappeared on the way to the license office.
Prosit!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
The bit that gets me??
The owners who turn up late for their appointment with a couldn't care less attitude, rusty / dirty looking car that looks as though it just shouldn't be on the road.
You know the type, has "wash me" written on the boot lid, interior full of old coke bottle and McDonalds wrappers and cig ash everywherrrre.

They just leave it with a couldn't care less attitude, come back around an hour later and get a pass????
Lol
This Morning on the way to the office, I was sitting next to a completely rusted out Dodge truck at a light. I glanced over and noticed his inspection sticker was the same color as mine. Valid? A single rust hole would make it fail, and from the sound of it it had far more issues than just appearance. I think the inspection process may be flawed.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I just donated a 02 jeep to kids4kars which blew the engine in Feb and at 175k i had no desire to dump $ into it.. it was a snow car only but ... for the past 6 years it had the airbag warning light on solid... never failed safety inspection.. Go figure

Old 06-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I think the inspection process may be flawed.

Lol, perhaps just a little?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

This Morning on the way to the office, I was sitting next to a completely rusted out Dodge truck at a light. I glanced over and noticed his inspection sticker was the same color as mine. Valid? A single rust hole would make it fail, and from the sound of it it had far more issues than just appearance. I think the inspection process may be flawed.
Around here they just need to have a complete exhaust system, a gas cap, and no check engine light on the dash(with the correct amount of cycles of course). The inspection ends there.

It doesn't matter if you can throw a basketball through the rust holes. The front wheels are pointing towards each other. All four wheels are temporary spares. The only thing that functions flawlessly in the car, besides the check engine light, is a stereo that can blast the paint off surrounding buildings, and you can hear the broken body welds through the bass. We used to have a safety inspection, but for some reason, it went away.....Mike

Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

We got rid of most of those testing sites in Ohio. They found it was not cars causing pollution, mostly factories and trucks.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Same here in Florida, at least in my county.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
In Gilmer County, GA I go down to the tag office each year and pay about $30 for a new tag sticker.

Why would you live anywhere else?

Indeed!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Virginia has vehicle safety and depending on where you live a biannual emission test.
I support busting the dishonest shops that let a dangerous vehicle continue to operate, you never know when a failed brake/steering could plow into your car.
This year my 2003 XKR failed due to brake pads below specs, I had stockpiled vented rotors and ceramic pads, had a shop install and the car re-inspected the same day.
My 2005 Explorer also failed this year due to a worn ball joint (the last one, others had been replaced when replacing a wheel bearing). I have an extended warranty so the work is done at the dealer, they always check for any other warranty that can be done at the same time, this time a leaking water pump.
So the bottom line, no inspection or a dishonest one leaves a lot of dangerous cars on the road.