XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 XK8 Base audio system upgrade question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 Base audio system upgrade question.

Background: Removed my stock radio and replaced with a Kenwood BT unit. Used Nexxa fascia and harness. I'm not impressed with how the radio recesses into the facia, but I can experiment with that. Harness plugged into car wiring fine, but didn't fit plug on radio. I spliced the new radio plug to the harness instead of cutting off the ISO plug in case I wanted to change the radio at a later time. Electrically, everything works fine but in normal sunlight I cant read the display. Sunlight and reflections is something to think about when replacing in a convertible with oatmeal seats.

Question 1: In reading other posts about upgrading, I've figured out the the wiring is available at the dash speakers and stops somewhere at the rear of the center console in a connector cluster. I also assume from the wiring diagrams, that the wire from the radio also goes to the center console but the two wires are not connected. I once found a great install thread showing where the connector was and which wires were involved, but it seems to have been removed. Anyone know how to connect the wire from the radio to the wires for the dash speakers?

Question 2: (Very much like Question 1) I've read that the door squawker (tweeter) wires are available in the door and like the dash wires, are available at the same connector cluster. Anyone know how to connect the wire from the radio to the wires for these?

BONUS QUESTION: How deep is the dash speaker from bottom of magnet to the top? I found the parts list says the diameter of the speaker is 64mm. Double points if you know the diameter of the magnet.

Hopefully with this information, I can reassemble my center console.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jay, I just sent you an email. I offered to attach a bitmap image of the radio / speaker wires to your reply, but it may not be all we hoped for. I just tried to enlarge it and the color codes are blurred. Contact me if you still want a copy, knowing me I got it from our forum at one time or another.

BTW, if you are working on the sound system, think about the "super tweeter" in the upper door next to the window. It is behind the black fabric cover, just pry it off. This is a marginally useful speaker crossed over at around 6khz. I have years worth of car stereo speakers on the shelf so for fun I decided to hook some up right there and give it a listen.

Note this speaker is crossed over using the series capacitor soldered to the input wire.

Proper tweeters, using their own crossover, sounded nice. Certaily an improvment. Then just for the heck of it I took the midrange/tweeter pod that used to sit in an Infinity 6x9 speaker and connected it to the wire before the capacitor (this pod has build in cross over). Wow!!! It jumped out Huge improvement!!

I was sold. Too bad I couldn't find the other pod from the speaker's mate. I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of new Infinity 6x9 3 way speakers. Not too expensive ttytt. When I got them, I knew where I was headed but wow it felt strange destroying a brand new pair of speakers. A quick cut of the wire leads to the midrange/tweeter pod, peeled back the sticker on the bottom and unscrewed the pod. Still needed more help - the pod is glued in. Grabbed a small Stilsin (spelling? the plumbers tool that grips harder the harder you torque) wrench and made quick work of relasing the pod.

One on each side, huge improvment to the sound and especially the image. Biggest $100 improvemenet I've ever seen. These super tweeeters are just begging for replacement.

John

Old 01-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is the wiring diagram in the service manual, I have that already. I'm looking to find the physical location of the wures/plugs.

My end-game is to add speakers in the dash and doors, but have the dash speakers serve dual purpose. As you might notice from my user name, I'm a Ham radio operator and I want to install a VHF /UHF transceiver. By using an auto-switching a/b speaker switch, the dash speakers can be used for the stereo and when receiving a transmission the left can sound VHF and the right can sound UHF. If I install the crossovers before the switch, the stereo provides mid-upper range and the transceiver gets "full" range. The small speaker should be fine for the limited frequency range required for communications speakers.

Back on subject... I am looking for the location to connect to the wires that leave the dash and door and end up somewhere in the center console to the fires that come from the dash.

The wiring diagram I have shows colors and plug numbers, but not where the plugs are located.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Jay
UK Ham here! I have swapped out the standard sound system in my 1997 XK8 as well.
I removed the radio/cassette and 6 disk in the boot as well as the amplifier for the sound system. I fitted a pioneer avh-7800bt head unit that gives me a 7 inch flip up screen with reverse camera and bluetooth hand free for the phone.
For the deeper base notes I have installed a pioneer IB sub in the boot floor (see image).
The front doors and dash grills have a 2 way Polk audio set and I am just about to install a set of 2 way Focal components in the rear enclosures.
Also found an adapter to use the steering audio controls with the pioneer.
Ham stuff = FT857D face above the 7 inch screen with the main unit in the place of the removed 6 disk in the boot. Diamond duplexer to one custom SO239 mount on the rear wing opposite the standard antenna on the other wing.
I'm interested to know what transceiver / antenna system you intend to use.
Regards
Wayne

Attached Thumbnails 1997 XK8 Base audio system upgrade question.-dsc_0384.jpg  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by AC0FC
If it is the wiring diagram in the service manual, I have that already. I'm looking to find the physical location of the wures/plugs.
The connector is under the centre console, under where your elbow would be when driving the car.

I did a complete upgrade on my non-premium stereo, whilst retaining the original head unit - I created a cable to take the low-level output from the original head unit (using the din-plug connector), running to a 5 channel amp in the boot. I change the front speakers for 2-way components and the rears for 2-way composites and added a subwoofer in the location under the parcel shelf.

I also have a DAB receiver that feeds into the back of the head unit, that has an aux input for playing an MP3 device.

I have to say, I'm very happy with the outcome, and it looks completely original inside the car.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey John,
Do you have an image showing the Infinity tweeter module in the door? Curious to see the fit.
Thanks,
carl

Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Carl, I'll post one as soon as I can. Ttytt, right now it is function over form :-), Damm things sound so good I've focused on other improvements as priority over making this speaker look perfect. Nevertheless, a photo or two will give you a good idea of shape, size, and angle. Even though I'm a perfectionist at heart, I'll post them as work in progress. Like I said it'll give you a good idea of what I'm talking talking about.

Give me a day or two and I'll launch a new thread with photos.

John