Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Bulbs for XKR

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb LED Bulbs for XKR

I decided to brighten-up my tail lights by using LED Bulbs, so I ordered all these Bulbs over the Internet and put them in and turned on the lights! Wow! they looked great and man were they bright.......then I hit the turn-signals and they went Blink.Blink.Blink so fast it was unbelievable. Then I looked and the warning light on the Speedometer and it said something about Lights being out. That's when I found-out about CAMBUS.....The computer doesn't recognize LED Bulbs....because they don't draw enough power.......apparently each bulb has to have some type of apparatus attached to it to fool the computer.......My question for you Guys is: Has anyone done this and found a way to make the LED's work without using these gizmos?

I replaced the High beams with an LED Kit which comes with a Gizmo and they are fantastic.....Never ever have I seen so far down the Road......While I was at it, I bought new HID Bulbs for the Low beams as the ones I had were about 12 or so years old.....That increased the Brightness by about 40%.....Then I replaced the Fog Lights with this new Sylvania Bulb that is pure white and almost as bright as LED's. Man it is bright out in front now but the rear is the same as it has been since 2005.....Wish someone could come up with an answer! Please let me know if one of you Electrical Engineers has figured this out!

Last night a Pick-up, you know the ones with LED Head Lights that set up just high enough to shine right through you rear window, was following real close behind me.......I slowed down and made him pass me...Then I hit him with full-Bright's.....He got HID low-beams and LED high-beams all at the same time.......Made him wiggle a bit!!!

Billy Clyde

2005 XKR

Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hey Billy,
There's no slick solution for this I'm afraid, particularly on the later models

To do the job properly requires internal modifications to both the Security and Body Processor (it controls the turn signals) modules to disable the sensing circuitry. Most likely very simple, but requires some reverse-engineering of both. Of course, it's then non-functional if you want to return to stock lamps.

Failing that, you're reduced to hanging load resistors across each lamp to fool the car into believing that it's lighting real incandescent bulbs.

There's a few threads on here which discuss how to do this and what parts to use:- IIRC member razorboy started one a while back.

HTH but probably not what you wanted to hear.

Mike