XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.

hi all,

i'v got a 1999 XK8 coupe. i recently saw a 2005 coupe (same shape, not the new model) which had a gorgeous pair of rear lights. can anyone tell me whether you can fit the newer rear lights into the earlier model, or is there any modification to be done?

T

Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey T,
I think you have posed a question that many of us with older model 8's or R's have asked. Roadfly Forum has a very detailed procedure outlined....complete with pictures to properly install the newer Rear Lights. There is some cutting needed. Here is the main link, a search will turn it up easily, and the pictures are in the Picture Gallery.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_xk8/

I think that you really have four main choices:

1. Buy the newer Jeweled Rear Lights and do a little fabrication to make them fit.

2. Buy the Arden Quad Rear Lights for $1500-2000. They look nice but to me, the lights are dated.

3. Buy the Mina Gallery Rear Lights.....again Quads.......but with an updated Jeweled look. They are about $550 and really look nice.

4. Buy Quad Afterburner lights from Adamesh in the UK for about $550. These lights are LED...,,,and look gorgeous as well as current. You will have to cut about a thumbnail sided piece of metal on each side to make them fit. In addition, you have to wire in 2 resistors on each light. Very simple to do and well explained by Geoff at Adamesh.

Here is a link to a Zeemax conversion with the Afterburner Lights.
http://www.zeemax.com/jagwb.html

Here is Adamesh's link. The price is less as we don't pay the VAT here.
http://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-xkr-...sion-568-p.asp

These are the lights that I opted for. I think these or the Mina Gallery are the way to go. My .02 cents at least. Best of luck to you!
Brian

Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

on the 99's i wud think they are interchangable with the 2005 there nothing different inside and the outside is strictly cosmet changes .. the 2005 are better and they have the chrome surround..

Old 02-28-2009, 04:34 AM

Hi guys,
I have not done this conversion myself, and am certainly no expert, but here is a thread between two fellows that have actually done it on their own cars back in '04.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...5763593-2.html
One of them said: I've fitted them on to a 99 XKR and they do look great, especially with the chrome plinth and the new style badges. HOWEVER it is a BIG job to do it. The new lights are deeper than the old style and so you need to cut the bodywork to make them fit, you also need to rewire the connectors as they are setup differently.
If you are thinking of doing it make sure you get a body shop to do it.
I seem to remember the price was around £150 for both lights.

Here is a series of pictures that detail it from beginning to end.
http://www.roadfly.com/jaguar/galler...th=31670,1;0,1;

I have certainly been wrong before, (and will be again ) but it seems that the new light fixture is deeper, and that is where the modification comes in.

I know that it is a totally subjective decision, but I like the "Quad" look of four round tail lights..........very sporty. Of course, with a car this inherently gorgeous.........you really can't go wrong!
Good luck.
Brian

Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM

hi Brian

many thanks for your replies. had a look at the links you sent, and the more i read, the more determined i became that i now wanted to refresh the look of the rear end. the XK8 in the pictures on the zeemax site is certainly something to drool over.....if only money was no object.....ahhhh dream on.

i'm no expert but having a look at the modifications required to fit the later version lights, i think its something i could do myself. if it helps other members of this forum, i believe that paramount performance (in UK) do the modification for an all-in price of about £500 stirling.

on the subject of modifications, i feel that the ariel is well and truly outdated, has anyone replaced the ariel with a more modern concealed unit?

T

***still with the elite 'cos i still got the XK8***

Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 AM

Hey T,
Yeah, I think that it looks like a fun and doable project, and the newer Jeweled Lights will be a big improvement. My LED Quad Tail Lights just arrived from Adamesh today. Just holding them up to the rear to get an idea of the new look is really eye opening! Between that and the new X-Pipes Exhaust with larger tips, it truly is going to update the overall look of the rear end.................and I am thrilled!

I don't know anything about the Ariel, so I have nothing to share there.

Best of luck to you on both projects!
Brian

Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Hey T,

I just had the lights done on my 00 XKR and I must say it is a bit of work. Not only do you have to cut off the old tail light baskets but you have to weld in new ones from a 02-06. On top of that you have to rewire the lights (only one wire stays the same), Also almost all of the plastic pieces in the trunk will need to be updated with newer ones. It does look great as long as you have someone who knows what they are doing just be prepated to spend a few bucks. Here is a pic of the finished product.

Last edited by Maja216; 03-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM

thanks for your info maja. it probably is going to be a bit of work but i also think it would be a good project for the DIY'er. i'm no expert, but i'll definately be looking at doing this myself. looking for a pair of lights at the moment, soon as i find them, the project will begin.........watch this space.

maja, thats a nice piece you got there, did you upgrade the front bumper as well? or just the rear bumper and side skirts?

brian, how did you get on with your rear LED lights? any pictures?

guys, i got a what seems to be a gearbox problem, check my thread and any suggestions or tips would be grateful.

T

Old 03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I hate to be a naysayer here but I do not see much of a dramatic difference between the older lights and the newer ones. Is there some place that has a side-by-side photo illustrating both?

Doug

Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Ok here are the old style lights.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Here are the new "Jewel" style lights.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Wow, those newest "Jewel Lights" look great! My Quad LED lights are in and I have a few pics that I'll post. I was going to do a real Photo Shoot, but I haven't had the time yet. I'll post the ones that I do have though and take some better ones soon.
Brian

Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM

I hope these pictures makes the trip OK, this is new to me. If they made it, you'll see the Quad Lights before they were on the car and after they were painted and wired in.

"Jagenstein" just naturally gets into any Photo Ops........he's spoiled!
Regards,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails 1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.-p1000078-1-1-.jpg   1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.-p1000018-1-1-.jpg   1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.-p1000038-1-1-.jpg   1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.-dscn0364-1-.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM

good picture there maja.

the later lights have a crome trim surround and the lens has a more cleaner 'crystal' look to it. i do believe the later lens give the rear end a more cleaner look, as opposed to the older lens which seem to give it a dull look. i'm kind of stuck on whether i want the 'jewelled' lens or the even later lens which have the dark tint to them. whats the vote on that guys?

maja, do you happen to have a close up picture of your rear lights (since i see that you have the 'jewelled' lights on yours) and also the later dark tint jewelled lights? i cant seem to load up pics from my pc otherwise i would have done it.

T

***still with the elite 'cos i got an XK8***

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Smile

ohps........sorry guys, looks like i was on the wrong page when i posted my last thread. i see all the pictures now

T

Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr T
thanks for your info maja. it probably is going to be a bit of work but i also think it would be a good project for the DIY'er. i'm no expert, but i'll definately be looking at doing this myself. looking for a pair of lights at the moment, soon as i find them, the project will begin.........watch this space.

maja, thats a nice piece you got there, did you upgrade the front bumper as well? or just the rear bumper and side skirts?

brian, how did you get on with your rear LED lights? any pictures?

guys, i got a what seems to be a gearbox problem, check my thread and any suggestions or tips would be grateful.

T
I did also upgrade the front bumper with an 05/06 bumper. I wasn't too thrilled with the arden front bumper add on or the OEM 00 foglights so I chanded both. I got some flack from a couple of my buddies for not using the front arden piece but I did my homework and looked at dozens of XKR/8 and I felt it was a much cleaner look. I still have the OEM 00 front, rear bumpers and XKR 3 piece grill as well as the arden front piece I didn't use if anyone is interested or needs a replacement. Here is a pic of the 00 front bumper with the arden front piece on another XK. It's still nice just different from what I had in mind.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

^ I like that front! no mesh though...

Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

hey for any of the guys that had a body shop get the lights in, do you mind me asking how much they charged?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Hi,
To have my Quad LED Lights painted and installed cost less than $300 as I recall. It is probably the most noticed and admired mod to my Jag.
Brian

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

alright thanks

Quick Reply: 1999 XK8 Coupe... modifying the rear lights.