XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 xk8 Door Locking

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 1999 xk8 Door Locking

Do the doors on the 1999 XK8 actually lock? When I hit my lock icon on my fob the car chirps. But, I can still open the door from the outside. I would have expected that I could not open the door at this point. The alarm starts to go off and I have to hit the unlock icon to stop the alarm. Is this normal??

Old 11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Does it auto lock when you put it into gear?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

No should never be that way. 1) fully charged battery ? 2) arm with key in door, turn clockwise. Still no lock ? 3) can you lock manually with car running ? 4) do doors lock when you put into gear ? 5) does passenger door lock unlock ?

My car: Yes to all above. Weak battery's can cause all sorts of issues, that's why #1.

Your answers will help us narrow it down. I bet a hard reset is in your future, but need answers before recommending that. Let us know.

John

Old 11-15-2016, 02:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by bjrdunn
Do the doors on the 1999 XK8 actually lock? When I hit my lock icon on my fob the car chirps. But, I can still open the door from the outside. I would have expected that I could not open the door at this point. The alarm starts to go off and I have to hit the unlock icon to stop the alarm. Is this normal??
The doors do lock and, if your are standing near the vehicle, you should hear a 'clunk' as the mechanism moves. The 'chirp' is the security module.

1. has it been like this since you got the vehicle or has it developed recently?
2. does the passenger door lock properly?

My first suspect would be the door latch. It has microswitches which are known to wear. Secondly, the exterior door handle operates through a link rod to the latch and this can become detached.

Graham

Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the responses, I thought it strange no actual locking took place but this is my first Jag.
UNGN: Does not autolock when put in gear.
Johnken: Battery seems good, does not lock by key, does not lock with car running, (manually? no lock button or lock stem) doors do not lock when put into gear, passenger door act the same.
GGG: upon lock there is a chirp but no clunk, car is new to me and like this, doors do not lock when put into gear.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts
Question

Thanks for the responses, I thought it strange no actual locking took place but this is my first Jag.
UNGN: Does not autolock when put in gear.

Both sides, or just the driver's side?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:34 PM

Ungn: Neither side autolocks when put in gear. THX

Old 11-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine did exactly the same when I bought the car.
Battery might have been disconnected at one time.
Car had to go to jaguar dealer and be re programmed. All good after that

The following users liked this post:
bjrdunn (11-15-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 PM

duh, I just found that I can lock the doors by pushing the interior door handle in, so they can lock. The fob or key does not lock them. I looked for a lock door procedure on the forum and found an autolock procedure, but that didn't help any. Anyone know how to make the fob or key work on 1999 XK8 without going to the dealer ?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

duh, I just found that I can lock the doors by pushing the interior door handle in, so they can lock. The fob or key does not lock them. I looked for a lock door procedure on the forum and found an autolock procedure, but that didn't help any. Anyone know how to make the fob or key work on 1999 XK8 without going to the dealer ?
Referring back to my previous reply, I bought my XK8 from a private dealer who is pretty savvy. He claims it cost him $140 to have it done??????
Personally I don't think he paid that much, just wanted me to feel appreciative.
What I'm trying to say is I think if it could have been done without taking it to a dealer, he would have.
Good luck
Jack

Last edited by USCANAM; 11-17-2016 at 12:01 PM.
bjrdunn (11-16-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The fob or key does not lock them.
One thing you can try is to try and re-pair the key transponder to the car. If you search this forum, there is a procedure you can perform to add a key fob to the car. It involves flashing the headlights and pushing buttons at the appropriate time. Reputedly a pain to get right, but worth a shot, it is free.

Another quick thing is to do a "hard reset" with the battery cables.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

bjrdunn (11-17-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just bought an XK8 which was not locking. The fob set the alarm but didn't lock the doors. The key set the alarm but didn't lock the doors. I could lock the passenger from inside by pushing the lever but the drivers door wouldn't lock. I tried everything I read on forums, etc but nothing worked. Finally decided to buy a new drivers door lock from Jaguar, £126. Fitted new lock, all working perfectly.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meant to say, if you decide to fit new lock, there is an excellent video on Youtube on how to remove door lock.

bjrdunn (11-18-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:22 AM

OK - it is fixed. It didn't take long, it was a matter of scheduling time to check it. It was the 10 A fuse in the passenger facia fuse box...