Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Jaguar xk8

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Jaguar xk8

Hi,
I bought a project that wont crank nor do I hear the fuel pump prime? The car sat without a battery several years. Windows and interior functions work after I installed a new battery. Any advice? I ordered a matching ecm. I read bcm would not control any function related to this issue but it may control the security system. I also read that it should crank and start a moment even if the incorrect key is entered then the car would shut off. I hope with the new ecm it will crank right up. Anyone out there with this type of experience? Thanks

Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Existing PCM (ECM) is likely fine. Fitting another is asking for anti-theft grief.

I'd chase the fuel pump & circuitry.

Also, read data via OBD to see what looks OK / what doesn't / etc.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

When you insert a key in the ignition a signal is sent to the SCLM security locking control module from the key. If you have the wrong key or a key that has lost programming the SCLM will not allow the engine to turn over nor will it allow the fuel pump to run. Since it has been sitting for so long, if you are sure you have the correct key, I would remove and unplug the SCLM and clean the contacts. The module is mounted under the fuse box next to the battery and is subject to corrosion.
MAY SURE THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED BEFORE UNPLUGGING THE SCLM!

Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Check the inertia switch, in the fuse box that appears when you open the driver door, on the side of the dash.

Also, keep in mind that for a not-so-expensive car project, getting great diagnostics will tremendously help reduce the repair cost. Throwing parts at problems is not the way to go here. Obviously, your wallet, your choice.

Get an OBD tool. If nothing else, start with a cheap ELM327 from eBay and a phone app.

Best of luck, keep us posted.