XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XKR ECM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XKR ECM replacement

HELP!...I have a 2000 XKR that died on me on the interstate. Had it towed to a local Jag tech. He checked it out and found pedal position sensor had no voltage reading. He replaced the throttle body and throttle cable with new OE parts. It would crank and run, but only with throttle cable at the end of its adjustment. If it was adjusted anywhere else the car would go into limp home/restricted performance mode. It seemed to run fine at that adjustment but it idled around 1500 rpms in park. Shift into drive (no lurch) and rpm dropped to 800-900. We knew there was a tech bulletin (303-49) about restricted performance mode so I drove it to nearest dealer for 303-49 re-flash and throttle cable adjustment with IDS. Service Mngr called me and said they re-flashed and tried to adjust cable but it would only run without going into restricted perf/limp home mode at that same cable adjustment. Tech called Jaguar and they said ecm defective - replace. I started checking around for a rebuilt ecm but have been told they only repair/replace hardware, not software. No way to re-format and re-program the processor so if it is a software glitch the only cure is a new $$$ ecm from Jaguar that comes with a blank processor that the dealer can program. Has anybody on this forum had this problem or does anybody know if what I've been told correct. Thanks for your responses!

iriddles
2000XKR

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I don't know as I am not there but I would not be jumping to an ECM that fast. An ECM only makes a decision based on the inputs it receives. The reflash may have been necessary, may not have been. Dunno. How much was the t/body? Those things are insane expensive. I just quoted one last week (another problem). I would start digging into input signals from the pedal position sensor to the ecm at the ecm. Jag wiring diagrams have an incredible ecm connector view that coincides with the wiring diagram to determine the correct pins to look at. Not that they don't go bad but the expense of one would make me reevaluate what is actually going on with the whole system.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

What codes do you get?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM

When it died I got P1121 and P1632. Jag dealership ran jumper wires from PPS to ECM, still had problem. What they are telling me is the same thing the independent tech was saying. It will only run in that one cable position (which is with no adjustment left - which is where it was adjusted when it died) without going into limp home mode. The throttle body cost me about $1750 and the cable was $50.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Better double check if you still have the same codes now, for just in case.

The TSB that describes the codes X310_05v2, also says that if after correct adjustment the same issue comes back, you need to make data recording with the WDS, and send the info to Jaguar, this is described in X303_41v4.

If they can prove the TB works in another car, then ECM might be a cause. This could be proven with monitoring the values of the PPS1 and 2, if they differ with the same TB, chances are it is ECU related (as you have already eliminated the cabling right?).

What is your VIN number? You should be able to find a ECU that close to yours, I also have a 2nd hand one as spare.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
................You should be able to find a ECU that close to yours............
I haven't had ECM issues on an XK8 (fortunately) but did have with my XJ8L. The emissions were all over the place. We fixed it by finding an ECM with the same code:

2000 XKR ECM replacement-xj8l-serial-numbers-ecm-label.jpg

On the XJ8, the code is on a label on the module itself and on another label behind the luggage compartment side trim:

2000 XKR ECM replacement-xj8l-serial-numbers-boot-label-1-.jpg

In my case it was LNF1410BC I needed. Can't recall the exact details but it came from a vehicle with a VIN number within 50 from mine.

Avos will know if the XK8 is similar....................?

Graham

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

My parts list isn't working so can't check the partnos, but there is a good chance some will work on both (ie XKR and XJR). There are several LNF1410 versions for your year (LNF1410AC, AD, AE) , and there is a LNF1410AC on ebay now 180769276040, and I'll bet he will sell for $100.

You will also have a very good chance that the ECU will work if the partno of the ECU is for your year even if the Vcats number isn't the same (at least proven on my car), but it is never a 100% guarrantee...

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

As far as part numbers go,
LNF needs to stay the same, now one caveat, this may change along with the two letters after the numbers if the part superseded a bunch of times
1410 wont change, it basically means ECM
AC, AD, AE are all supersessions meaning the earlier parts have been replaced and can be used by the newer part
101, 001, etc is the tuning value and/or market. I have never seen anything written down for those numbers. We always had to order the same number from Jag so it did us little good to try and decipher.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Avos, I've read and took a copy of 310-05 to the Jag dealership. My copy didn't say anything about sending anything to Jag. When my car goes into limp home mode there are no codes after you shut it off, and I think that is what is happening with the dealership. Service writer hasn't let me talk to tech yet. This is a small dealership in Asheville, NC so I doubt they could come up with another car to test my T/Body on. Yes, new cable. LNF1410AC is the part # for my ECM, my VIN is AO1764 so it would fit up to VIN AO5222. I spoke to GOECM and they don't keep my ECM in stock. They wanted me to send mine to them but I found that they can only repair/replace hardware. They don't do software so if mine is a software glitch I'm screwed outa $700. They did say they could find one, r&r it and sell it to me. I'm a little leary of ordering one off of ebay. How would I know if it were any good? I'd probably go with r&r one from GOECM first, as long as dealership can assemilate it to my car so it will crank & key will work.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Do you guys know, if I get a used ecm is it plug & play or does the Jag tech have to do something to it to make it recognize my car?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by iriddles
Do you guys know, if I get a used ecm is it plug & play or does the Jag tech have to do something to it to make it recognize my car?
I'm pretty sure there is an immobilization that has to be sychronized between the new(other) ECM and the car. The key is recognized by the KTM and info is passed between it, the instrument cluster, and the ECM. I think only the PDU/WDS/IDS/SDD will do that. I don't think any other device can.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

I would have bought it with ease for that price, and would have done it even now but the US spec have the MAP sensor enable for this year which I don't want as I have blocked my EGR.

As mark said, you do need to reprogram the unit for it to work, and that can only be done with the dealer tool.

The TSB X310_05v2 mentions for the procedure X303_41v4. maybe it wasn't yet described in the X310_5 you have.

Its odd that you don't get any codes now though. Have they reprogramed the ECU after the new TB was put in?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM

The serv. guy didn't know anything about synchronizing the replacement ecm but will ask the tech today. I don't know about reprograming after new t/b. They did the 303-49 reflash. If I can get to the tech I will mention 303-41v4. 303-49 was supposed to address the restricted performance/no code deal. The car has been doing that since new. It would go into RP/limp home, turn it off, restart and it was fine, no codes. I think i'm going for a used ecm though, can't be any worse than I've got!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Ok, I hope I didn't just screw up! I bought an ecm out of an XJR (no XKRs available) that is LNF1410AC - # ending in 8802, correct VIN range (F20117) for 1st 2000 supercharged XJ series as per JPEC, for $140. I guess I'll have to explain to Jag tech that they will have to synchronize it to my car after install. Wish me luck!!! I'll report how it goes.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey iriddles, can you give me an update, what happened with this?

The Jaguar dealer diagnosed and said I need to replace my ECM they quoted me $6000 to do this! I have a 2000 Jaguar XKR just like you.

Did you receive your ECM, where did you purchase it?
How much did the Jaguar Dealer quote you to replace your ECM?
Did they have to program your replacemnet ECM at the dealership to match your car, how much did they charge?

Let me know please!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 AM

seawind...I just took the used ecm that I got from a salvage yard for $140.00 to the jag dealer friday. they are supposed to install it on monday. They didn't quote me a price. As soon as they said Jaguar recommended a new ecm I said no. I had a good idea what one costs and was not going to spend almost half what the car is now valued at. I started looking on ebay, elect. chatted with a salvage yard that sells on ebay. They didn't have anything in my VIN range but recommended a salvager they located thru a search for the part on their salvage network. I quess I'll find out early next week if the dealer can figure out how to synchronize the used ecm to my car. I'll post an update.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey iriddles,

Please let me know what ended up happening with Jaguar. I sent my ECM to a repair company but the repair company couldn't repair it. It's on the way back now and I'm trying to figure out what to do next....

Thanks
--Ryan

Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Finally! After the tech being on vacation for a week and then finding that one of the cables for their pdu was bad, they installed the ecm that I found from a salvage yard out of a 2000 XJR with the same part # (lnf1410ac). My jag is purring like a kitten again, but not without a little drama! About 10 miles from the dealership the engine outline lit up on the dash so I pulled off the hiway and hooked up my code reader. It gave me P0400, "exhaust gas recirculation flow". I cleared it and drove the remaining 50 miles home without a problem. I figure its from sitting for about a month. Amazing, after reading the thread about the jag rearview mirror problem and fix, my previously perfect rearview mirror is now cloudy with a chance of bubbles and drips. This forum is the best tool a jag owner could have. Thanks to all you guys for the help and advice. I'd be broke without it!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

That'll be a load off your mind. I know I was very relieved when the breakers yard ECU worked on my XJ8L. (see Post 6)

I just cleared codes, did a hard reset and fitted the replacement ECM. There was no reprogram. Did the dealer explain exactly what they did with yours?

Be good to know if I was just lucky or if reprogram is never needed with a used ECM in the right suffix range.

Graham

Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

@inddies

Hope you kept the old throttle body because it ought to be still good given that it was not the problem.

Seems like misdiagnosis sells more parts than parts breakage.

Quick Reply: 2000 XKR ECM replacement