XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 seat and steering wheel adjustment issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2001 XK8 seat and steering wheel adjustment issues.

Hi all
I have recently purchased a 2001 build MY 2002 XK8. The car has a full service history and is a one owner with 120,000km on the clock. I have two electrical gremlins to sort out and I thought I'd ask your advice before I delved too far into the wiring.
No.1
My car has memory seats and everything works as it should except that the driver's side seat height adjustment doesn't work. I can hear the motor running when I operate the switch but there is no movement of the seat.

No.2
The electrically adjustable steering column works for tilt but does not work for in/out movements. Once again I can hear the motor operate when the switch is moved but there is no movement (for and aft) of the steering wheel.

With both these problems I am assuming it will not be electrical as the relevant motors and switches do operate so I am expecting a mechanical fault in the mechanisms - gear stripped etc????
Also it does not appear to be related to the memory function as the problems remain when the switches are operated manually.
Has anyone come across either of these problems and rectified them and if so what part(s) should I be sourcing? I am hoping to buy the bits first then dismantle the car to effect a fix. As the car is in Perth WA I will not be able to source parts at home quickly and I don't want the car off the road for too long.

I'm currently over visiting in the UK so if I need bits now's the time to procure them.

many thanks

johnd
Johnd
2001 XK8 coupe
anthracite

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey John--welcome aboard! I do not know about the seat adjustment--are you saying that it does not either go up or down but you hear the motor? Sounds like something mechanical is not catching.

Regarding the steering wheel, I believe this is a fairly common problem and there should be some write-up and solution in the FAQ section of the XK8/XKR forum.

Are the other aspects of the memory function working--does everything go the the correct memory position when hitting the memory button? Mine does not and this is an annoying gremlin ever since I have owned the car. It is not that much of a big deal since I am the only one that drives the car and never really move any of the adjustments. But on the rare occasion that I try hitting the memory button, SOMETIMES things move back to the correct position but other times everything moves to an obviously weird position (e.g., seat might move fully forward while the back moves into some other weird position, etc.). I suspect dirt on the sensors but have been too lazy to do anything about it.

Doug

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanks Doug
I agree neither are that serious but it annoys me when things don't work!! the memory works fine and I can hear the motors run but I get no height adjustment or steering rake adjustment whether operated manually or via the memory (everything else works).
So like you I'm assuming a mechanical/drive issue but I thought someone else may have already met the problem and point me in the right direction.
regards
jd

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnd8008
Thanks Doug
I agree neither are that serious but it annoys me when things don't work!! the memory works fine and I can hear the motors run but I get no height adjustment or steering rake adjustment whether operated manually or via the memory (everything else works).
So like you I'm assuming a mechanical/drive issue but I thought someone else may have already met the problem and point me in the right direction.
regards
jd
Mine is doing the same thing and I thought that there is a plastic tooth cable(like the antenna),that is stripped, but the dealer said no. The entire assembly under the steering column must be removed and repaired or replaced. They said a lot of $$$, so live with it. Any simple ideas?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi SG I'm sure you're right. I'm in the UK on holidays at present. Wait til I get home and I'll have a look and let you know what I find. I know its minor but it annoys the crap out of me if its not right!!
A car like these has to "be right" not just "look right"!!
jd