XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XKR Oil Cooler adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 XKR Oil Cooler adapter?

Looking to find out a couple of pieces of information.
1. What is the name of the fitting type on the oil cooler? The one with the o-ring and screw to hold the assembly together?
2. Is there an adapter available to convert this fitting to a compression fitting that is one the replacement oil cooler I got?

Thank you for your help!!

Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

High,

had the same trouble with the leaking oil cooler recently. The particular Jag fitting is unknown and as far as i found out no other manufacturer used a fitting like this, there is no after sale cooler with this kind of fitting. According to that you will find no adapter.

The way to fix the leaking problem by using a cooler with common fitting is to change the hoses after the tube sectcion on the supply line. As i therefor tried to disconnect the fittings of the supply line i found srews that will rip off if you try to loose them. After recognizing that this will cause more trouble (ripped off steel srews in alloy fittings) i decided to buy a cooler with original fittings from a dealer in the UK. Took me about 150 Euros.

Good luck!

Last edited by flatsix; 09-18-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

These fittings on my '03 XK8 look like air conditioning fittings to me. Not sure what they are called.

When you look around (e.g. SNG barrat), there are several part numbers for the oil cooler. I believe there are differences in mount point and plumbing.

The only real adaptation I can think of is to cut the aluminum tubing somewhere and re-weld a suitable section, which is probably going to involve a skilled person's time, i.e. money. These hoses are pricey, too.

Have you looked at repairing the existing unit? I'd assume a bit of brazing would fix most leaks. Plumbing, or heat/aircon pros are typically good at this. If you had the cooler already cleaned up and off the car, it would likely be cheap to repair.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I have considered having the original repaired. I may try that route first. Although I have the lines off already. I believe that my local NAPA store can put new ends on my existing lines. I also have the replacement universal cooler. My brother is the one that ripped the original one, so he bought me the replacement.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Hi, didn´t mentionend it but i´ve tried to have the cooler repaired first. after they said no problem at first sight they called me a few days later: sorry, no way. Maybe you´re luckier.

Disconnecting the fitting on top of the cooler was easy, my worries regarding ripped srews concern the supply line fittings. there are two divided lines on each side of the cooler, four tubes all in all.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Default Line connections

Mine only has 2.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM

oh yes, didn´t realize that, mine is MY 2003. :-)