XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest

My wife has a 2002 XK8 with some electric head rest issues. The head rest move up and down as she tilts the seat forward. But, she cannot get the head rest to move by using the control on the side of the seat. I find it interesting that both seats are acting the same way. We know the motors work. Could this be a control issue or operator error? She has only had the car five months.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

The HOW TO section at the top of the threads is always the best place to start looking for answers to regular issues.

Check for the two headrest repair videos here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-videos-77768/

And another solution thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...est-faq-69635/

Graham

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Default Head Rest

Thanks Graham. I watched the videos and it appears these videos are showing how to make a repair to the cable. Our head rest do move when you tilt the seat forward and return to the original position when you tilt the seat back upright. Our head rest will not move by using the control switches. Again, for both head rest controls not to work. I was wanting to rule out operator error and to find out if there is a shared fuse for these controls.

Thanks again and I appreciate the helpful advice. I am convinced I will be viewing the cable repair videos again in the future.

Jamie

Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

When you try to operate the swtiches, can you hear the motor (but just have no movement of the headrest) ?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Just confirmed the motor can be heard. But, no movement from using the head rest controls. Again, is it not strange that the head rest move when the seat is tilted forward and then returns when the seat is tilted back to up righ

Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JCam
Just confirmed the motor can be heard. But, no movement from using the head rest controls. Again, is it not strange that the head rest move when the seat is tilted forward and then returns when the seat is tilted back to up righ

If you can hear the motor it is almost certainly the common problem referenced above.

The issue is the cable sheath is a bit to long, and the flexible drive pulls out of the motor. In your case, the cable is probably moving just enough to engage when the seat is tilted.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
GGG

The automatic headrest retract on tilt is controlled differently from the occupant adjustment:

The front seat head restraint motor responds to the status of three seat control switches:

1. backrest tilt microswitch
3. seat head restraint switch
4. seat latch microswitch

The front seat head restraint automatically lowers when the front seat backrest is tilted forward. This feature is controlled by two microswitches. The front seat backrest tilt knob (2) actuates the front seat backrest tilt microswitch (1) causing the front seat head restraint to fully retract. When the front seat backrest is returned to the normal driving position, the front seat latch microswitch (4) causes the front seat head restraint to return to its previous position.

The vehicle occupant can position the front seat head restraint to suit their requirements by pressing the front seat head restraint switch (3) which is the centre switch of the front seat control switch.

This points to an issue with the seat head restraint switch (3).

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest-xk8-headrest.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-02-2013)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
The automatic headrest retract on tilt is controlled differently from the occupant adjustment:

The front seat head restraint motor responds to the status of three seat control switches:

1. backrest tilt microswitch
3. seat head restraint switch
4. seat latch microswitch

The front seat head restraint automatically lowers when the front seat backrest is tilted forward. This feature is controlled by two microswitches. The front seat backrest tilt knob (2) actuates the front seat backrest tilt microswitch (1) causing the front seat head restraint to fully retract. When the front seat backrest is returned to the normal driving position, the front seat latch microswitch (4) causes the front seat head restraint to return to its previous position.

The vehicle occupant can position the front seat head restraint to suit their requirements by pressing the front seat head restraint switch (3) which is the centre switch of the front seat control switch.

This points to an issue with the seat head restraint switch (3).

Graham
Have to disagree Graham. If the seat head restraint switch (3) was not working he would not hear the motor when he uses the controls.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Go ahead and perform the cable sheath shortening fix. It is inexpensive and can typically be done in about an hour. Remove the seat from the vehicle - it greatly speeds up the repair process and is well worth the extra steps, trust me....

Once your cable sheath fix is done, if the seat switch still will not operate the headrest you can address that issue next. But if you currently hear the motor running when you operate the seat switch, I'm betting that the well-documented cable sheath fix will resolve your issue. It did for me....

Last edited by Jon89; 12-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-02-2013)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks All for your input. I will let you know what is discovered. Have a great weekend!

Jamie

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Have to disagree Graham. If the seat head restraint switch (3) was not working he would not hear the motor when he uses the controls.
Steve,

Agreed - if it is the headrest motor.

As the relative positions of the Head Restraint Motor (item 3) and Head Restraint Mechanism (item 1) are the same regardless of whether the seat is in the driving position or tilted, I thought the fault is likely to be electrical rather than the usual mechanical issue with the cable. The fact that the headrest works on tilting verifies the motor and cable drive are OK.

The Head Restraint Control Module throws another possibility into the mix.

The only way forward is going to be to strip the seat down.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest-xk8-front-seat.jpg  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Realizing how prone these electronic headrest adjustment systems are to failure, once I performed the cable sheath fix on my wife's XK8 back in early February I told her to leave both headrests in the fully-down position permanently. That position happens to be the one that is most comfortable for her so she's fine with my strategy. At 6-foot-7 I'm far too tall for her car and rarely drive it as a result, but when I do I never raise the headrest simply because I do not want to have to deal with headrest cable, switch, or module failures again....

I do have to move the drivers seat as far back as possible when I drive the car, so I realize that I will probably be dealing with seat track movement failures at some point. The sheer number of reported electronic failure points on these cars here on the forum continues to concern me, and probably always will for as long as we own it. But she loves her XK8, and as a result I will be dealing with its various trials and tribulations for quite a while yet....

Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 XKR. The headrest on the drivers seat does not work, can hear the motor, but there is no movement. But at this time, fits me well, so not looking to do anything right now. The headrest on the passenger seat works, up and down, but can not figure out how to adjust the "tilt" on the headrest. Anyone have info on the :tilt"?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR Headrest tilt

Any info on adjusting the "tilt" of the electronic headrest?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Headrest tilt

I am also trying to adjust the "Tilt" of the headrest for my wife on her 2001 XKR. Is there any way to do this? The angle is not comfortable for her no matter the height.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, today I repaired my non working head restraints by fitting an extra long drive cable, which i had made up at my local cable maker, many motocross or off road bike shops can suggest someone to make one up for you or can give address where I had mine made up, the will post to you, I had mine extended by 12 mm but have to grind about 2 mmm off, so it would fit nicely, now it works perfectly without all the trouble of cutting and shrink wrapping it until it goes again, this should be a permeant fix, REMEMBER the squared drive as to be plus 10mm and face into motor, as is pass's through the micro switch housing, or I imagine it would wind the headrests out of the seat.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest-photo-1-1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by swimmingcap:
TrevLevin04XKR (09-27-2017), x-biker (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
If you can hear the motor it is almost certainly the common problem referenced above.

The issue is the cable sheath is a bit to long, and the flexible drive pulls out of the motor. In your case, the cable is probably moving just enough to engage when the seat is tilted.

AGREE!! When I had problems with my headrest I also noticed it would go up and down okay if the seatback was tilted forward but not when it was back. Also when it was back the headrest would occasionally work but not all the time. I concluded that the cable was shifting just enough so that the headrest would randomly not work.

Do the headrest cable fix!

Doug

Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by swimmingcap
Thanks for the information, today I repaired my non working head restraints by fitting an extra long drive cable, which i had made up at my local cable maker, many motocross or off road bike shops can suggest someone to make one up for you or can give address where I had mine made up, the will post to you, I had mine extended by 12 mm but have to grind about 2 mmm off, so it would fit nicely, now it works perfectly without all the trouble of cutting and shrink wrapping it until it goes again, this should be a permeant fix, REMEMBER the squared drive as to be plus 10mm and face into motor, as is pass's through the micro switch housing, or I imagine it would wind the headrests out of the seat.
That is an elegant fix and actually the opposite solution to what I was thinking about which was to buy a shorter sheath (if available). I was always wondering if buying a replacement cable/sheath assembly from Jaguar would have had the correct length sheath to solve the problem but your solution to just get a longer cable is cheaper and easier.

Doug

Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mkrion
I am also trying to adjust the "Tilt" of the headrest for my wife on her 2001 XKR. Is there any way to do this? The angle is not comfortable for her no matter the height.
The "tilt" is manually operated. Just move them were you want them.
Vector

Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Vector, I feel rather like an idiot, as I did the repair on the cable but assumed the tilt was also controlled by a switch. This is a great forum!

Thanks again,

Mike

Quick Reply: 2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest