Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XKR 100 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 XKR 100 Questions

Hi,

I recently purchased an XKR 100 from a dealer in Florida.

I was extremely impressed with the level of detail and information that came with the car - very complete. HE gave me service records dating back 3 years, all keys, manuals, etc etc. Really thorough.

However, once I started to leaf through everything, I notice a couple of things that cause me some consternation:

1) There is a comment about matching floor mats - the mats int h car are Jaguar XK8 mats. Does anyone know if these should be XKR mats, XKR 100 mats or what mats came with the xkr.

2) Seat restitching - I read somewhere that the seats were stitched in red but the recaro seats in this car are not. I can't imagine they restitched everything so was the original stitching on the XKR 100 red or grey? Mine is grey

3) What problems can I expect with the car? It is absolutely beautiful and besides some stitching issues with the seats - a little loose in places - there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. It ahs 50K miles on the clock and all the major services have been done but I just want to be prepared for anythying that might likely go wrong and if htere are things I should be careful about

This is my first Jaguar but I have wanted one since I was a teenager!

Thanks for any and all information!!

Kip

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Red face

All interior Stitching on XKR 100's was dark,Silverstone Edition has red stitching

The mats are the same shape for XK8 and XKR.

Couple of things to tell if it is a genuine XKR 100

1.XKR 100 Door Treadplates
2.XKR 100 Bonnet Badge
3.20" Montreal 9 spoke Wheel rims with red wheel centres
4.Alloy instrument surrounds and J gate surround,aluminium pedals
5.Performance R Handling Pack fitted
6.Black Leather steering wheel and gear stick with R on it
7.XKR 100 is embossed on the passenger side dash fascia

1-5 Are parts that can be bought as replacements
7 Is very rare and Jaguar will not replace this if the chassis No isnt from a XKR 100 (Very expensive too as you need to buy a complete dashboard fascia)

I would check service history biggest job that you should contemplate is has the timing chains and tensioners been changed.

Other issues to be aware of are dodgy thermostats and water pump

Hope this is good guidance for you

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There were few critical common issues by the time we got to the 2002 MY. Two that I would point out are: Convertible top hydraulic hoses will eventually leak and check for the manufacture date on the driver 'B' pillar. 2002 MY cars assembled prior to September '01 may have the plastic cam chain tensioners. Check the FAQ section above for more information than you ever wanted to know on that subject.

Sounds like you got a great car. I saw my first XKE in the early '60s and promised myself I would have one some day. The XK8/R is better. Enjoy!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 PM

macbut999,

Seems as though you are saying that there are both xkr mats and xk8 mats (being the same size). Should there be XKR mats in this particular car since it is an R?

The car ticks the box on everything noted, down to the XKR 100 embossed on the glove box, so I think she is legitimate. Plus, I was given the original window sticker which also indicates it as a 100 and all the select edition information which too indicates it is a 100.

I do not recall seeing anything that indicates timing chains were changed. The majority of the work done seems to be generally cosmetic or ineterior related. I think the hoses for the top were changed out already.

I am guessing the timing chain is a pretty major issue. How will i know if that is a problem?

thanks guys great info!!!

Kip

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

If the only things you have found to be "concerned" about are the floor mats and stitching, and if you are otherwise happy with the car and (presumably) got a decent deal, I think you are in pretty good shape.

Doug

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Yeah I am pretty happy that my only major concern is car mats!

Well, the ABS light has come on as well as the traction control lights and I am taking it into the shop tomorrow to have those looked at but otherwise it is pretty much awesome.

Kip

Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I suspect that the mats may may have been a special XKR100's or XKR's. The Silverstones have special mats with the trim and Jaguar stitched in red. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XKR 100 Questions-jag2.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Any idea where I might be able to find out if the XKR 100 came with customized mats? I have been trying to find this out but have not been able to. Would a jaguar dealership have this information?

Got the car back with a clean bill of health. Had to replace the right front ABS sensor harness and that sorted out both the ABS light and traction light issues I was having. Mechanic said that it was a very well maintained automobile and the only thing he noticed was that at one point there had been an oil leak which had been fixed but that was the only thing he could find that was an issue.

The build date is 04/02 (so it is probably one of the last ones built, guessing!) so I shouldn't have the Timing chain issue, which is a relief.

Thanks very much,

Kip

Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Since it's on topic, i'd like to see all of the little details that make the XKR100 so unique...how about some good pics to keep in this thread Kip?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default I own an XKR 100...

I have not had any problems with my car, bought it in '06. I do have issues finding the correct brake pads - you must always mention when ordering that you have the Brembo package, otherwise you will not get the correct pads.

I have replaced the rotors once, that was about $900 for all 4. I finally found a place in California that sells them.

I have not had any issues with my top or hydraulic system; no leaks or otherwise. You need to treat the top with water proofing once a year. I have done this and my top still looks new. I would check the supercharger belt and the hoses to ensure they don't need replacing.

EBC Redstuff seems to be the best brake pads that stop really well, don't throw a lot of dust and don't squeal. DO NOT GET HAWK BRAKE PADS - they suck!!!!! I got these once and it was like putting squeal horns in my calipers! Plus they don't stop well when hot.

The correct part numbers for EBC Red Stuff pads are
Front - DP31110C
Rear - DP 31140C

I love my XKR 100.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Cool! Thanks for the information.

What do you use to treat the top? Personally, I am a proponent of Formula 303 protectants. I used them on the triumph tr8 and that car looked new for years (unfortunately it has fallen into disrepair a bit since i am no longer close enough to it to keep it up regularly). I have their canvas top treatment and cleaner on order. I have used their protectant on the interior and it gleams... There motto is "it is like SPF 40 for your stuff" and my experience would indicate that is correct. It does a great job of keeping things supple.

I am using Macguires leather cleaner on the leather and that seems to work okay although not sure how it is long term. I was at a Jaguar event in Austin on the weekend and should have asked around what they use on their leather. Next time, I will do that.

So far, i have to agree about the love factor, I had the car out yesterday in some Texas farm country and was just loving the handling and the acceleration. It isn't quite as nimble as the TR8 (it is also a hell of a lot more comfortable and a lot faster), it feels like a pretty big car but I am getting more used to it. I love the ability to dispense with slower moving traffic in a blink. It is amazing in the regard.

Where about is your xkr 100 located? Mine is living in Houston but used to reside in Orlando.

Thanks for the info RS.

Kip

Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

My personal favorites are Leatherique for the interior and Raggtopp for the canvas top.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
My personal favorites are Leatherique for the interior and Raggtopp for the canvas top.
Ditto here test point!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Maguires is great on the dash and trim on the doors, but I use Leatherique on the seats and armrest. It doesn't leave any type of shiny film on the surface like Maguires does, and basically cleans better.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I did a short post on treating the canvas top using RaggTopp on my page.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Gus,

Thanks for the information. Loved the site, great example of how to do it.

That looks like an extensive job!

The 303 protectant I use is more of an annual replenishment, which looks less involved that the Raggtopp application. Maybe I am misreading this but the raggtopp stuff looks like something you would do every couple of years?

I will be looking into the leather conditioner. When I was in Austin, there was a 98 XK8 and the seats looked AWFUL, like the leather had never been treated at all. It really detracted from the overall look of the car.

Is your experience with Leatherique based on longterm usage?

Thanks,

Kip

PS I hope to get around to taking picutres of the XKR 100 tonight - well the aspects of it that distinguish it from a standard xkr from 2002.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Never used a leather conditioner on any of my cars. I think I will this spring.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up EBC Redstuff brake pads

Hello,

I am reading this thread because I am having squealing brake issues after the Jaguar mechanic installed new front and rear brake pads. This will be the 2nd time I am going back to the shop and hope they will fix the problem. It is a loud squeal, I had no idea how loud until my husband let me know in traffic, he happened to be behind me. I am recommending these EBC brake pads, not sure what they are using but obviously the wrong type. I love my car and do not want to give it up.

Thanks for the tip!

Cindy

Old 06-25-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,567 Likes on 939 Posts

I use the ebc redstuff pads on my '02 XKR. No squeal, low dust, and really good braking while still being easy on the rotors. I've used these pads on many many classic cars. Never any issues.

Note: rotors should always be resurfaced when fitting new pads and there is a break in period per ebc instructions.

Z

Last edited by zray; 06-26-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2092 XKR 100 Brake Squeal issue

Thank you for the reassurance on the EB Redstuff brake pads. I will speak to my mechanic today, this really helps!

Cindy

Quick Reply: 2002 XKR 100 Questions