XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 xk8 coupe head lamp flicker

Old 08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2003 xk8 coupe head lamp flicker

As indicated by others, I too have had head lamp flicker with lights in automatic mode but I have been using manual node without any problem yet. Key word is yet.

Is this a common problem and is it an issue with light sensor threshold as there were some bright street lamps in the vicinity on the occurances I experienced?

Does anyone have problems in manual mode?

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I don't use auto, manual only. I hate when the lights come on under the overpasses w/o my input.

It could be that photosensor thingy in the mirror.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have the flickering headlights and have not thought to try manual (only because I have not had to use manual in many, many years so I've gotten spoiled and don't think of that option). The flickering happens regardless of whether I'm sitting in the garage warming up or driving. I'm wondering if the bulbs are just not seated correctly and will check that one day soon.

However, I had an issue several weeks ago where the lights didn't just flicker, they blinked off for a fraction of a second and came back on every 2-3 minutes or so, while driving (exterior and dash lights). I discovered that my dimmer switch knob on the steering column that controls the dashboard lighting was not in the max position and making that correction solved the blink-out problem. I didn't realize the dash and exterior lights were connected, but obviously they must be. I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this experience.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 AM

xsvjag,

My experience has actually been in two ways. The one where the headlights actually go off for a second and back on was the one I was seeking insight for.

There is also a slight flicker of the headlights which seems only to be noticeable when I am parked or travelling slowly and the lights are shining on an object in the near field. I chalked this up to a lamp type with inherent sensitivity to voltage ripples at low rpm and probable marginal battery terminal, battery or cables as usually the battery is the "stabilizer" in the circuit (old school - might not be the case here) where if you do not have a good solid connection at the battery, you are subject to the voltage ripples produced by the alternator. I figured I would live with it and track it down if it got worse.

The lights off, then back on seemed to be solved with manual on switch for headlights. I will have to try the dimmer switch setting to see if that affects mine with respect to this issue. Would love insight as to the malfunction as the better half likes the automatic function and does NOT like the lights off lights on trick.

Regards for Details,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

So I don't start a new thread on the topic, I was conversing with my service guy at the dealership yesterday, and mentioned my left headlamp flicker, which has been happening more frequently lately, like 3 times this last week. It is the only one that goes off and on, and lasts just a few seconds.

Anyway, their first guess was the ignitor.

I'm going to visit the JTIS and see where these parts are located, but would you think a swap from one side to the other will be a good diagnostic effort?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The headlamps on my 2003 were flickering also, the dealer said it was a loose ground cable, though it seemed tight to me. That said, I had it in on warranty to diagnose blown fuses on the fog lights and they seem to have solved the problem by tightening the ground cable.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 PM

The problem for mine was finally solved by jag dealer service manager taking car home for the night. The sensing device (located in the mirror assembly) was failing. About $750 parts cost, covered under warranty fortunately.

-Steven

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

^^ interesting diagnosis.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I've been suspecting the sensor in the mirror for a while now. It seems a number of peeps have mentioned that when their mirrors leaked their autolamp function also went south. One of these days I'll send my mirror in for rebuild and if that doesn't restore the autolamp function I'll check the sensor and see if I can find a way to replace it with something from RadioShack, etc.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like 1avguy, 3 posts above, I had the same issue, headlights turning off for a fraction of a second and then coming right back on. I could not find a pattern to the conditions underwhich this would occur so I could not duplicate the concern on demand. I brought it to the dealer with very low expectations that they would be able to fix it because I did not think they would be able to duplicate it either. The Service Manager drove the car home to his house and was able to duplicate the flicker. I believe he did it by manually moving around the rearview mirror which created a flicker. You may want to try this technique to confirm a correlation between the rear view mirror (actually the sensor in the r-view mirror) and the light flicker. I was told the sensor is not seviceable and a new rear view mirror was ordered. No problems since then.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Nor sure about the lights going off, but just wondering if the "flicker" is from the auto-leveling feature, when driving slowly into my garage they seem to flicker but are actually moving up and down a bit.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

you know when its flickering...trust me Its like half the road ahead goes dark for a sec, pretty obvious.