XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 XK8 ride is unstable

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2003 XK8 ride is unstable

First off, let me state that I do not expect a Cadillac ride from this car but I do expect a good feel. Every time I drive this car, I am disappointed by the ride. It reminds me of the 60s and 70s Corvettes I have restored that look great in the front yard but remind me of a buckboard over any bumps. They just don't seem to feel secure. I took the car up to around 100mph on an interstate approach ramp the other day and also realized I did not like the way it felt at the speed. I have a 2003 Thunderbird(both Jag and T-bird have 70,000 miles on them) that feels much more stable. Also, my Porsche 928 S4 which has Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs feels a lot more stable over both bumpy roads and at high speeds.
The car also seems to have a little bump steer on uneven roads. I don't mind the bumps but I want to feel like the car is stable on the road.
No uneven tire wear and it doesn't pull particularly one way or the other.
My wife want me to sell the T-bird and keep the Jag but the T-bird while not as pretty to look at, had a more solid, road holding feel.
I love the looks but not the ride. Any ideas how to improve on it other than drive the Porsche or the T-Bird?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi,
There is clearly something wrong with your setup. Many of us enjoy appropriate ride, handling, and stability at speed. A few more details from your unique situation would be useful, such as: mileage, tire manufacturer, size, and condition, shock mount condition, alignment check results, etc. Any recent work done on suspension would be noteworthy, as well as any work needed but not done.

With some detail, there should be several recommendations forthcoming.

Regards,

Jerry Lippmann

Old 05-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

typically these cars, not matter the miles on the car, need front end work, bushings, shocks, etc. More so in the front then back. As also stated what type of tires are you using? The shape of them? Other then a little cowl shake with the top down it should be pretty tight and solid feeling when driving. Taking turns at higher speeds this car should handle with no problem.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I agree with everyone above. BTW, tell us the tire pressure you use. While I've never seen things go real bad because of this, I do find tire pressure changes of even a couple of pounds has a large effect on the ride. Guess that is just one example of how these little things (stablizer bar bushings; stablizer links; new tires) each make a bigger difference than you would think when replaced with new on these cars.

We look forward to your suspension status report to help you figure it all out. Pantera I was hooked on the "Jaguar" ride with my 1985 XJ6. I was cautious / concerned about buying the XK8, would it be a "Ford uar" ride or a Jaguar ride. I love this car, clearly a Jaguar ride.

You know I've had folks scratch their head as passengers as we go over washboard surfaces they are used to driving every day, and ask "what does Jaguar do different? My car is no where near as solid (on that stretch of road)" Don't laugh but this guy was dead serious, and he was ready to do whatever the answer was to his Volkswagon so it would ride like the XK8. . .

Last edited by Johnken; 05-31-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I agree with everyone else. You have some sort of an issue that needs to be addressed because what you describe is not the sort of behavior that an XK8/R would give you if there were not some sort of problem. Now, you just need to figure out what that problem is and you will be OK.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM

Okay, miles are 71,000. I have replaced the upper and lower shock bushings and upper ball joints. All other bushings look good and alignment is within spec. Tires are Michelin Pilot sport A/S 245/40 ZR 19 in front and same but 255/40 in rear. Stock wheels. tires are in great shpe and no uneven wear. Thanks. Ideas?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Check rear wheel bearings and especially hubs for damage. I had a damaged driver's side rear hub that was damaged and it was positively terrifying to drive above 50mph. It happened twice, so I knew exactly what was happening the second time around.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Check rear wheel bearings and especially hubs for damage. I had a damaged driver's side rear hub that was damaged and it was positively terrifying to drive above 50mph. It happened twice, so I knew exactly what was happening the second time around.
Damaged how?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera928
Okay, miles are 71,000. I have replaced the upper and lower shock bushings and upper ball joints. All other bushings look good and alignment is within spec. Tires are Michelin Pilot sport A/S 245/40 ZR 19 in front and same but 255/40 in rear. Stock wheels. tires are in great shape and no uneven wear. Thanks. Ideas?
I can tell you you can not see some of the issue with bushings without removal.
Top wishbone bushings, stabilizer bar bushings at a minimum need replaced, it's 13 yrs old 71k.. these are all rubber components that wear or dry out. Both easily replaced.

As stated PSI in tires makes a big difference, generally the bigger tires require less psi, there are threads on this that folks give examples of what pressures they use here.

While the front it more susceptible the rear probably has some deterioration as well, look at the top of the rear shock, do you see crumbling around the big bushing? (orange color)

Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

All of the above plus how old are the tyres? If they are dry through age the resulting lack of sidewall compliance makes a huge difference to ride quality.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

IN a situation like this, I think the answer to your question is, "Do you do your own work, or pay someone else?". Because if you have to pay someone to sort this out it is liable to be a very expensive proposition; but if you can rebuild your own front suspension, I believe you'll soon find the problem and it will not cost you an arm and a leg. Like so many have noted, the suspensions are very prone to early wear and need overhauling more than most cars. Once apart on jack stands, the whole project is not too difficult to complete if you have all the parts on hand.

I've completely rebuilt my 100K mile '97 in three stages. Doing it again, I'd rebuild it completely the first time because eventually everything needs it... I even had to upgrade to a larger front wheel bearing because the early style bearing is prone to premature wear.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+1 to the comments on front suspension bushes.

Also, if it's as unstable as your post suggests, check the rear A Frame bushes haven't collapsed allowing it to float.

2003 XK8 ride is unstable-xk8-rear-suspension.jpg

When this happens it can feel as if the rear is steering the vehicle.

Graham

Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

wheel alignment "within spec"

covers a *lot* of territory.

If you have it, posting a printout of your current
actual alignment might be revealing. Also, the
number of miles since the alignment was measured.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:14 PM

Hello all and thanks for the suggstions. I know that the front end is tight. Bushings ball joints shock mounts etc all good. Front had the typical crumbling upper shock mounts. Does the rear have that problem too?
Tires are less than 2 years old and have very few miles on them.
Yes, I do my own work on all of my cars. Used to own a foreign car repair business doing mostly Italian cars.
Have not looked at the rear yet.
I have a friend with a 1999 and thinking of driving hers and seeing how different it feels. Different tranny and a 4.0 versus a 4.2 but I imagine it should feel about the same.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Yes, the rear mounts and isolaters are the same story.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Okay, I will check them. Seems like such a disappointment since my T-Bird of the same year and mileage does not have these issues. Both owned by Ford back them