Sponsored by:

2005 XK8 Audio/Nav Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts
Default 2005 XK8 Audio/Nav Upgrades

Hey everyone,

I've had my 05 XK8 for about a month now and I'm loving it! Pictures will be up soon as I get her buffed out and waxed. Since day 1 I've been planning to modernize the audio/GPS setup and have finally worked out what I'll be doing. I want to keep the cat looking as stock as possible through all of this.

1. Audio system. I'll be maintaining the stock Alpine speakers (for now) but will be forced to replace the amp as it most likely won't be compatible with the JVC (can anyone confirm?). The radio will be replaced with a JVC KD-AVX77. Although this unit is a couple years old now, I chose it because (A) it has all of the features I want and, (B) the all-touch faceplate design is sleek and unobtrusive. I'll also be maintaining the steering wheel audio controls. As many members here have, my shop will be fabricating a custom surround for the unit. The USB will be routed into the center console.

2. GPS. I'll be removing the factory unit completely and replacing it with a 2012-model Garmin nuvi 3590LMT, which is a 5-inch unit and should fit the dimensions of the factory nav opening almost perfectly. The surround of the Garmin is a piano-black finish, so the small amount of bezel that will be showing shouldn't be too noticeable. It will be hardwired into the car for power, and hopefully audio (still working out the logistics of tapping into the Garmin's internal speaker and routing it to the JVC- anyone who has done this, comments appreciated!) A bracket will be fabricated for behind the Garmin to hold it securely to the back of the dash.

Now, to address the openings in the dash veneer left by the buttons of the factory unit, the best solution (with some inspiration from Reverend Sam- Thanks!) will be to stretch speaker cloth over the openings. Aesthetically speaking, I hope it won't draw too much attention. It also serves a functional purpose for me, as the mic for the JVC's bluetooth will be mounted behind the left hand side opening, out of sight. Also, in the event the sound for the Garmin cannot be routed through the JVC, the openings should allow me to hear the internal speaker.

Lastly, a few odds and ends. I will be installing a bypass switch in the center console for the antenna since I'll hardly ever be listening to the radio. I'll also be converting the 12V outlet to USB for charging and reroute that to the center console so that I can place my phone inside the console while it charges out of sight.

This should be completed sometime this week, so I'll post pictures and updates as we go. Please feel free to post any questions/comments/concerns and I'll do my best to address them! Thanks!!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 06-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.