XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XK8 radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XK8 radio problems

A few months ago I had the local Jag dealer replace the battery in my XK8 convertible.On leaving the dealership I noticed that there was no sound from the radio or cassette although the CD player was absolutely fine with full sound and all of the controls in the dash unit seemed to work OK.there is no call for a code. I took it back to the dealer and they said they found leaking hydraulic fluid ( from the roof mechanism) on the amplifier housing and they suspected that the amp was blown. I won't distress everyone by revealing what the dealer wanted to replace the amp and hood hydraulics, but needless to say I decided to look at other options myself.

I have had no problems with the hood and there is no current fluid drip . I have manually checked all of the relevant fuses and all seem OK. I replaced the Amplifier with a used OEM, known to be working, and still no sound. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be doing?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Any chance you jump started the car before replacing the battery?

I would try disconnecting the battery for a minute, then reconnecting it (you will need to reset the windows per the owner's manual afterward). If it is still the same (only CD audio works), I would suspect the radio headunit. They are relatively inexpensive on ebay.

The following users liked this post:
Floridajagman (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Floridajagman
A few months ago I had the local Jag dealer replace the battery in my XK8 convertible..........
Welcome to the forum Floridajagman,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK8/XKR forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks for your interest. Yes , the battery was flat and it had to be jump started to get it to the dealer for a replacement.

I have now disconnected the battery, as suggested, but no difference I am afraid. The CD still works fine with good sound but the radio and cassette are still silent. The radio seems to be able to search for new channels, has rds display and all the knobs perform as they should including sound adjustment for the CD but nothing for the radio. I'll wait to see if anyone else has any thoughts but then I think I'll have to replace the head unit.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Floridajagman
Thanks for your interest. Yes , the battery was flat and it had to be jump started to get it to the dealer for a replacement.

I have now disconnected the battery, as suggested, but no difference I am afraid. The CD still works fine with good sound but the radio and cassette are still silent. The radio seems to be able to search for new channels, has rds display and all the knobs perform as they should including sound adjustment for the CD but nothing for the radio. I'll wait to see if anyone else has any thoughts but then I think I'll have to replace the head unit.
I have heard of other cases of jump starting, particularly with the other car running, causing surges that damage the headunit.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the follow up. I guess there is no way to see if that is the problem with the head unit without taking it out and installing a replacement?

Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Seems likely since you have audio for the CD, and the control data link for switching between different channels comes out of the headunit.

When you replace it, note that there is a switch on the chassis of the headunit. Make sure it is in the same position (for premium audio) or it will not work properly with the premium amp that is in your car.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the tip