XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XK8 -Driver Seat Module Question

Old 04-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2006 XK8 -Driver Seat Module Question

Hi Guys,

A few years ago I had the common issue with the Driver Seat Module where the seat function switches stopped working. I tried to solder the connection to fix it but couldn't.

I took the car to my local mechanic and he had a spare driver module and put it in the car. And the driver seat functions work. But the Drivers Seat heater does not work.

I have the original Seat Module that came with the car. And the seat module label says it is part LJE2160AB/XXX. However when I look for that part number I get the Key fobs.

My question is. Is there a difference between the 05-06 driver seat module vs all the other seat modules?

Do you think the one my mechanic gave me just has a bad seat heater function? And purchasing another module and swapping will resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Dave B

Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Not a expert on this, but what you are describing has been reported before. This is basically why folks prefer to repair their existing modules instead of swapping them out with others. My (admittedly superficial) understanding is that, under certain circumstances, replacement control modules need to be paired up to be fully recognized by the main computer and be fully functional. Part of the answer has to do with the exact part number, but there is also some form of a software level for each module, from the perspective of the main computer. Reportedly, these combinations are listed on a sticker in the trunk somewhere (the seat module may, or may not be listed, actually). One can only assume that the overall software level in the main computer possibly plays a part as well. Supposedly, the heat not working can be a symptom of a software pairing issue.

At this point, you seem to have 2 choices:
  1. Send the original module for repair (luckily, you kept it). There might still be some tracks that are broken on the board, and someone more knowledgeable might be able to fix it. As long as you apply electric tape to isolate the board from the hard plastic case, the fix will more than likely outlive the car. Folks on this board have offered repair services for a nominal fee. More than likely, no programming would be necessary as the module being fixed is already paired with the main computer.
  2. Pay a visit to the dealer (or someone with the necessary Jaguar-specific computer) and have them add this replacement module to the main computer. The risk is that you end up paying for the programming of a module that ends up being faulty anyway, and end up having to repair it as well, destroying the pairing with the original module in the process. On the other hand, if you already have maintenance performed by a shop, they might be willing to do this as a courtesy as I can't see this procedure taking much time. Maybe the original shop that provided the replacement module might be able to do this to complete the original repair you paid for.

I can only encourage you do do a bit more research and convince yourself of the right path for your situation.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The modules do not need to be programmed but they must be matched for compatibility. The VCATS is a large sticker in the spare tire wheel well. It lists the modules number and the last letters are the software version for the car. If the last letter is a B then you can use a C D E etc version but not an A.
It is possible that the seat heater is defective in the module you have installed or might not even exist in the module.
The best all around way to deal with it is to have the existing repaired.Contact Darrell Turner 858-649-9090. He has been repairing modules for forum members for quite a few years. He is in San Diego, CA. and does great work.