XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XKR is too young to be Smok'in

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2006 XKR is too young to be Smok'in

My buddy has a 2006 XKR in his shop, she is smoking something awful: out of both tail pipes, serious oil burner and not a high-mileage car. She looks good, but definitely too young to be smoking!

Suspicions are that a seal has failed in the supercharger and she's dumping oil right into the intake.

Compression on all cylinders is good, car runs GREAT other than the fact that the smoke button is stuck ON. Thoughts???

I'd love to pick up this kitty for myself, but don't know what I'd be getting into...she would join my F-Type V6S Coupe and X-Type Wagon as my convertible mistress...

Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

TR64ever,
Does it smoke all the time or only when you first start it up?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

depending on how much smoke were talking , id say -
put an oil catch can on the pcv on bank 1 !
you'l be surprised how much oil goes in to the supercharger through that pipe .
mine was smoky too , mainly on start up . but also when under heavy load .
but not any more . when i cleaned out my charge coolers and added a catch can the smoke stopped . it will take longer to clear if you just add the catch can and don't clean out the SC and charge coolers .

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 05:51 AM

We'll try that today and let you know. Is there a different part number for a PCV that catches oil or do we have to improvise in a different part? (Got any pictures?)

Old 03-04-2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
TR64ever,
Does it smoke all the time or only when you first start it up?

Billy Clyde in Houston
Smokes on startup and when driving too - under load like accelerating its bad.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

TR64ever,

The problem is simple.....My Jag did the same thing and I had a heck of a time figuring it out.....The Guy that owned the car before me treated it badly! It would smoke a house full of smoke at start-up and when driving...when you really pushed it! Man it would smoke!! Old White and Blueish smoke.....Hated it! So, I rebuilt the Motor......It still smoked! Then one day this Guy told me that it was oil and gunk build-up in the filters in the Cam Covers! Since I had tried everything else, I bought new ones.......35,000 miles later and still NO_SMOKE! Solved the problem and it sounds like that is what you need to do!!!! I told this story to an old Jag mechanic and he said, If you will notice, some of the older V8 Jags smoke a little at start-up; the filters in the Cam Covers need cleaning or replacing....Since then, I have notice several older Jags smoking, just as he said......TR64ever, this lesson cost me over $9,000.00....All donations will be accepted!!!!

Good Luck to You!

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (03-06-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

TR64ever,

One more thing! All that Oil and Gunk build-up someway got into my Supercharger POP-Off valve and it stuck open.......Had very little power until it was cleaned-out.......Now, no smoke and no power loss....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Datsports, You have the same problem as TR64ever!

The EGR Valve on the Right-Hand Bank's job is to vacuum Hydrocarbons out of the Exhaust and relief pressure from the Engine and take it back into the Intake system to be burned again and sent out through the Exhaust system....there should be no Oil droplets unless something is wrong with the system....Therefore, if you have enough oil to be caught in some kind of a catch-can.....you probably have the same problem that I had with the stopped-up filters in the Cam Covers......That's why my Waste-gate was full of gunk and was stuck open. It had collected Gunk that was not suppose to be in the system.....(simply, the Engine could not breath)
The solution is to remove the Cam-covers and clean or replace the fiber filters found in the top part of the Covers and if you have lost power......remove the waste-gate and clean it making sure it will work back and forth......The long term solution to this problem is very simple.....Change the OIL every 3 to 4,000 miles to avoid gunk build-up.......If you have this problem now, your motor's drain channels are probably filling up with gunk, if not full! I'm not sure how to solve that problem but changing the Oil several times in the next 5,000 miles will probably help......Ask around for a good detergent Oil....

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
Dargam (05-06-2023), TR64ever (03-06-2017)