XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XKR VE: Sport mode intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 2006 XKR VE: Sport mode intermittent

I have a 2006 Jaguar XKR Victory Edition (51k miles) and recently the switch to engage the 'sport' mode on the center console works only intermittently, and when the light does not illuminate when pressed - the transmission goes into safe mode and I am unable to use the manual transmission mode. Has anyone experienced this problem and is it something I can fix?

Respectfully, Brian

Old 07-06-2018, 03:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Brian,

The intermittent switch is the first thing to fix or replace. It could simply need cleaning but could be failing. The procedure is straightforward. I always protect the veneer with masking tape to avoid the risk of scratches when removing trim. Here's the relevant extract from JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System). Item 3 only requires removal of the four visible set screws and then lift off the J Gate surround :

Although the recommendation is to disconnect the battery, I never do so for this particular job as it then requires the disconnect/reconnect procedure to reset window travel limits etc. No need to go beyond item 5 in the procedure by which stage it will look like this:

Other than checking the harness connection and ensuring the switch moves freely, there is little more that can be done to revive it other than replacement.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
BDHiggins (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

A good way to know is to let the car tell you, i.e. read the codes through the diagnostics port. Unfortunately, these codes are proprietary Jaguar/LR, so a proper code reader is required. The dealer and likely most independents would have that (call ahead). Get that list of actual codes and use them with the search function on this forum. The alternative is to buy your own reader. eBay/Amazon have some that have been confirmed workable (check the Foxwell and icarsoft). At a bit over $100, it would probably pay for itself very quickly.

If this problem occurred to me and I did not have a reader, I would check the various micro-switches in the shifter area. Can you confirm what happens with the lights on the bezel? These are NOT controlled by the switches, they are part of an independent board that receives CAN messages. The lights come on when the computer knows where the shifter is, as per the micro switches. Do the light come on as expected for (P), (R) and (D)?

Best of luck, keep us posted.

BDHiggins (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Brian, if youre going to disassemble the sports mode switch, its noy too complicated BUT: do it over a pail. There are some small spring loaded parts that want to go ballistic on you.

like I said it's not complicated, just be cautious.

John

BDHiggins (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Hello and thanks for the quick responses, they are much appreciated. I have printed out the diagrams and instructions and will begin the process of assessing the switch's performance today, hopefully with a little cleaning it will correct itself. I wonder how much I might expect to pay for a new switch? However will check into the switch as instructed and see if there is anything out of the ordinary there.

I am investing in an ICarsoft reader for Jaguars that I did see online at Amazon, so thanks Fred. Also, when my light is not functioning, when the car is in Park, Reverse or Drive the Park, Reverse and Drive lights flash on/off. I guess signaling it is in 'safe' mode? At that point it runs only in Automatic mode. Let me know if you think that means anything?

Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHiggins
..... I wonder how much I might expect to pay for a new switch? ......
Around $150.

Graham

BDHiggins (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 PM

I removed the switch today and cleaned it thoroughly and it seems to be operating correctly, it was a little sluggish at first inspection but it improved significantly after just cleaning it, and so I put it back in without disassembling the switch itself. Upon the first test drive to the supermarket and back everything performed exactly as it should without incident, the next two weeks will tell me more but I am hoping it might be resolved. I decided to purchase the Foxwell scanner in case this happens again, perhaps it will tell me what is going on, as there has never an error message or code that has been produced to my knowledge when this happens.

thanks all in the meantime.

GGG (07-06-2018)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Fmertz!

I have the same issue and when I turn off the engine and restart it the sport button lights up and is functional again. I also have an issue where every so often the car will not start when I put the key in. I turn it and there is nothing. The dash lights up but the starter doesn't turn. I have found that I can move the shifter around a bit and tap the brakes and she fires right up. Also, if I close the door and lock and unlock the car with the remote it will start up and also simply locking and unlocking the door using the handle works at times.

It is a strange quirk and I figured that they all had to be related to each other. You had mentioned that the computer would be looking to see if the shifter was in the proper location and I think that might be it but then why would locking and unlocking resolve the issue as well?

Appreciate any thoughts on where you would start on this issue. I am concerned that one day it will not start and none of these tricks will work!

Thanks!

Corey