XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-98 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97-98 Engine Replacement

OK, so I've searched the forum and have found scattered info for replacement of '98 A26 engine to and corrected one.

So, I hope that this can be THE FINAL WORD as to info for all the options involved in replacing a failed engine of this sort, and all guru's this is where we need you to chime in. We'll begin with my situation....

I have purchased a gorgeous '98 XK8 with a failed valve job and leaking water pump, of which is also losing compression... of course, the Nikasil curse! The dealer has strongly recommended engine replacement, and I'm all for it, but not at the totally ridiculous price they are charging. Therefore, it's upto me, my chosen mechanic and this forum to get this done and done right!

OPTION 1
Where the heck can I get an equivalent '98 engine that is properly rebuilt and upgraded with the new Steel liners?? Anything that I should know as to the engine upgrade and swap??

OPTION 2
Get a used 2001+ engine and swap it in. OK, so I know there is a list of items that need to be retained from the '98 engine. Does anyone have this list, and how difficult is it? (The shop manual for a typical engine swap is 16 hours, so what can I expect of this option??). Are there any bolt on or fitment issues?? What issues can I expect of this kind of swap, for instance, sensor issues??

OPTION 3
Same as Option 4, but throw in a 2001+ Supercharged XKR engine. Is this option even possible, and will an XJ8 engine work as well??

This is my one big chance to get this done right on a car that deserves a good engine, as the color combo is rare and condition is 8 out of 10. I hope we can fill this thread up so that future seekers of this information will not need to be researching and looking all over this forum and others.

BTW, should I choose to keep and find an upgraded steel lined engine for my year car (1998), what kind of mods or upgrades can I "safely" put on there to up the HP?? And more importantly, where or who should I goto for this.... I assume exhaust and ECU are first on the list?? What kind of performance increases can I expect??

Anyone know the differences between an XKR and regular XK8 other than the supercharger and badging??

Let's do it.....

Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by WillyWheels
Anyone know the differences between an XKR and regular XK8 other than the supercharger and badging??

Let's do it.....
Right off the top of my head, the era you're talking about:

-Instead of the ZF transmission you have a variant of the Mercedes 722.6 (W5A580); which is a significantly more robust unit.
-Thermostat housing isn't the plastic/composite POS
-No VVT
-CATS suspension is standard.
-The hood vents.
-The front grille being the mesh instead of the bar.
-Little tiny spoiler lip on the trunk lid.

I personally wouldn't put the effort into a SC'd V8 swap, it's just not cost effective by any means. I also wouldn't bother with trying to move components to a steel linered block.

The most cost effective fix is to find a nice period correct low miles NA V8 which does well on a leakdown and compression test (IE - a wrecked car's engine with good service history that's still in car to do those tests), fit new seals and gaskets, new WP, timing components and the consumables and throw it in there and enjoy. This still ain't cheap, but is what I see being the cheapest option, especially given the labor I assume you'll have to pay (you mentioned a mechanic so I assumed not DIY).

I've done a lot of engine rebuilds on various steel lined cars and bikes; and it's time consuming enough without figuring out what interchange of other years and model parts are, and what fitment changes were made over time. I questioned why I did it on some cars and I didn't pay the labor, and if I had to pay labor I definitely wouldn't have done it.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

To swap a N/A engine for a Super charged will require the ECU and most of the wiring, the instrument binacle, gearbox, TCM...... A big list and not worth it..

There was the Polish guy who fitted a supercharger to a N/A engine, he lowered the PSI by fitting a smaller pulley onto the crank which was a good way of getting over the problem, I believe he still had a few issues and required a hefty remap which he was struggling to get done..... Still a lot of issues..

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

May I suggest you contact Jaguar Specialties that now produces a California
EPA approved V8 Chevy engine conversion. Dropping in a supercharged LS
with about 500hp and cheaper maintenance and parts sounds like a good option to me.
Used, low mileage LS engines abound. Even a new one can be purchased for less than 5K. Andrezbim on this site has a few youtube vids of his conversion. One, bad-*** Jag if you ask me.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure the Nikasil liners are causing the lack of compression? Are you sure it is not just the valves and a new head and your done?

B

Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with edtexas. When the time comes I am going with the LS. I'm sorry purists but more horses and reliability sounds great. Anything to keep these awesome beauties on the road.

Terro
98 XK8 coupe