XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 XK8 convertable, windows, roof and mirrors stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XK8 convertable, windows, roof and mirrors stopped working

So I took the car out for its first drive of the season, rolled the windows down, dropped the top, checked the fluids, topped up the tank. Everything was fine, except when I went to adjust the power mirrors, on the drivers door controls I was only able to move either mirror to the left, pushing any other direction did nothing. Did some research online and pulled the switch to rebuild it. Everything looked fine inside, no carbon build up etc, put it back together and reinstalled it. Mirrors don't move, then check the windows, nothing. Tried the window switch on the passenger door, nothing. Tried holding the key in the door lock to drop the roof, nothing either way. So whatever controls the mirrors, windows and roof has stopped working. Researched again, no fuse listed for this exactly so I systematically checked every fuse, in all 5 panels, not one blown. Disconnected the battery for a couple hours as suggested, no change. Then decided to leave it disconnected for the weekend (ended up being 4 days) and nothing. Need advise on how to proceed, I assume there is a BCM that is dead or something. Everything else works fine, car starts, runs and drives, lights, stereo, heat/air all work. The car is now undriveable as I cannot roll up the windows. Any assistance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kevin, I do t know, but maybe we can get some brainstorming going.

Does alarm energize with key fob? If yes, points to door issue. If not = overlapping issues security and body.

Do other BCM functions work? Wheel tilt telescope.

Do door locks work at all?

As I type I begin to wonder if security module controls all this? Guess I keep thinking there must be a single source for the fault.

I'm sure others will jump in. You know what, if you haven't already done so, please assure us that the battery is fresh and fully charged. I'm on a phone so hard to see your original note. Thanks, John

Does it start ok? Do seat heaters light up?

I wonder if Windows are controlled by body control module. I say that because key in door affects alarm (security module right?), then windows and top.

If the convertible switch wasn't in center console is be thinking drivers door issue.

Last edited by Johnken; 05-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe the "Security and Locking Control Module" located in the right rear of the boot. Did it get wet?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Battery had a minder plugged in all winter. Checked the battery with my meter; 12.58v at rest and 14.28v at idle. Confirmed the roof does drop from the center console switch, just not with the key turned in the door lock. Seat motor doesn't operate neither does the steering wheel adjust. Seat heaters do not light up. Door locks do not operate from the fob either. It must be the drivers door control but would that also disable the passenger door? I have downloaded the electrical manual but not sure how to proceed. Everything worked fine until I pulled and reinstalled the door switch. Will also inspect the security module.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Quick question (2 actually):

Do you have the memory pack option? If so, does reach/tilt not work either from the column controls or memory recall?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM

I have the seat memory buttons on the door and they no longer work. I did try the passenger seat and it adjusts fine. So no power windows from any switch, no power mirrors, no power steering wheel adjust, no driver seat controls and key fobs do nothing. Everything else works as it should. Drove it around with the roof down and stereo up but can't park it anywhere without windows going up so its a loop back to home until I figure this out. Will pull the security computer from the trunk tomorrow and inspect, next then is open the drivers door and check it's unit. Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Whatever happened to the simple fixes

Driver's side door control module (or the power to it, via driver's side fusebox F15) seems favourite, but doesn't explain the power steering adjust not working from the column controls. Unless I've missed something (entirely possible at this late hour).

I'll re-check JTIS.

Best,
Mike

Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 PM

Been insane busy so was only able to get back to the car today. Pulled the trunk fuse box so I could pull the security module. It checked out ok, opened it up, no signs of corrosion etc. Set it aside. Pulled the drivers door apart and pulled the control module from it, again passed visual inspection. Put the door back together and also reinstalled the security module. Now the drivers seat adjusts and the steering wheel adjusts (but only up and down, in and out just makes a whirring noise which I'm sure is a whole other matter I will deal with after this). Went over the fuses again as now only the power windows and mirrors don't work, Did find a fuse on the passenger side panel in F4 or F5, a 5A, that says "door switchpacks, door locking". Visual inspected ok but bad with the a meter. Finally something. Swapped with a known good fuse and voila the windows work. Now the drivers controls pack will only control the drivers window, no mirror control at all and no passenger window. The passenger window switch works for the passenger window. Also the key fob still wont unlock/lock the doors but does pop the trunk (occasionally). So I will order a new drivers door switchpack LJA6332AG for $150 CAD and hope that resolves the remaining window/mirror issues. Will check my other fob, install new batteries and possibly reprogram the fobs as the security module was disconnected. Car can be driven again anyways so I'm happy. Thanks for any and all imput. Will update if I get everything sorted.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM

So the new switch finally arrived Friday and got it installed today. No change. Very disheartening. Car can be driven and not being able to power adjust the mirrors is no big deal but having to lean over or walk around to the passenger door to put the window up or down is going to be a pain. I may have to take it to the shop as I have exhausted my capabilities. Not pleased.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

At the risk of duplicating what I think michaelh has already done we can try to dissect what's going on using the wring diagrams (schematics):
All was OK (except mirrors in one direction) until you pulled the mirror switch. So before you did this:

Looking at Pg. 11.3 of the schematic from jagrepair.com, the mirror joystick is a set of switches one of which controls motor direction. This direction switch is actually itself a set of ganged switches, two of these ganged switches are labelled LEFT and RIGHT and the common output of both of these goes to two other switches marked LH horizontal and RH horizontal (the LH and RH refers to the mirrors). When the direction switches changes, it exchanges the voltages on LH horizontal and RH horizontal between ground on pin DD17- 20 (BK wire) and battery voltage on DD17- 10 (NW – whatever color that is). This changes the motor direction. So if the mirrors would only go in one direction there was probably something wrong, e.g. bad contact (and probably still is in your old switchpack) in that set of switches.

Note that the battery voltage on pin DD17-10 is labelled 36 in a box. Scroll down to bottom of page and you'll see it tells you that boxes 7-53 come from Fig 01.2. Scroll up to Fig 01.2 and look for box 36 and you'll see that it comes from a 5A fuse, which I bet is the one that was blown. Note that the same 5A fuse, via boxes 33 through 38, goes to multiple other pages, feeding power to not just the mirror joystick but driver door lock switches, driver door memory, passenger door lock switches and window lift switches. So this explains why the mirrors, windows and door lock functions (incl roof up/down) didn't work. Something must have happened when you pulled and replaced the mirror joystick to blow that fuse. It could have been an internal short in the switch itself, something wrong with the connector DD17 and/or its wiring, or an accidental short while the connector was off.

It's also conceivable that the fault which caused the fuse to blow originated in the driver door control module (DDCM) and sent a short to ground through the mirror joystick switches to the fuse. This would be one possible explanation for why the mirrors still don't work with a new switchpack. This might also explain key fob operations if they depend on door switch status being read (I don't know if they do, but certainly door lock position and status are SCM bus messages and key fob operations of roof, etc. I believe are SCM bus controlled). Also, I think the driver door switches control the passenger window through SCM messages as well rather than through direct wiring.

Another check to make are the pins and wires at connector DD17. Are any pins pushed out or the wires loose and/or shorting to other pins or wires.

I think you suspect the steering column control problem is a different issue and I agree.
The driver's seat problem is probably a separate issue as well.

So, this says look at:

1. Switchpack connector/wiring
2. DDCM for faults
3. BCP for faults

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (06-22-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Update, last I hope.

So I visited the car again as I realized I had not done another full reset after I installed the new switchpack. Didn't think it would be required but figured it was worth trying. Disconnected both battery cables and connected them while I rechecked all applicable fuses. Reconnected the battery after 15-20min and as I opened the door I accidentally touched one of the memory recall buttons and heard a faint buzzing. The passenger mirror moved slightly. Both mirrors now work but are slow to react and slow to adjust, which is fine. Both windows work from the drivers switch. Rechecked the fobs and they "work", trunk always pops but the lock and unlock are only good from like a foot away. Will clean the insides of the fobs and replace batteries as I mentioned. Seeing how slow the mirrors are I wonder if they had even failed in the first place. I bought the car for my aging mother and she reported the issue and will stop driving the car immediately out of fear everything else will fail. I just started taking things apart, obviously shorted the fuse and confused the various computers when I plugged the "rebuilt" switch back in. Thanks to everyone for their contributions, they kept me going. This was kind of a waste of time but it probably needed a new switch anyways and she can be out driving again in the sunshine this weekend.

Cheers