Sponsored by:

Every error

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Every error

OK Jag world, I've got a REAL problem!

2000 XK8 ~ 90K miles.

Found the battery dead - only read two volts and it wouldn't take a charge. I had driven the car about two weeks previous - no problems. Put my BIG charger on the battery, after the trickle wouldn't do it, and got it over 12V. However; when I went to start the car, I got every error I think you can get.

The motor will start and seems to run fine, but the beast won't unlock the shifter out of park. The speedo climbs to ~ 65 MPH, the tach' stays at zero, the odometer reads different numbers but it's something like 174089 or 175628 (real mileage less than 100K). Gas gauge reads empty with the accompanying yellow "low fuel" light illuminated.

The headlight indicator in the speedo stays illuminated all the time; no matter where the headlight switch is placed - before the key is put in the ignition. As soon as I put the key and turn it to "run" the display on the temperature control displays "ER" and I hear nine high tone "beeps". Then the message on the speedo starts scrolling through all these faults right after it says, "System Check":

Incorrect part installed

Boot open (it is)

Low Brake fluid (it's not)

ASC not available

Gear box fault

High Gear box temperature

Failsafe engine mode

Handbrake on (it's not)

I've changed out the battery, tried a remote jump to verify I didn't get a bad battery (read that technique on another string), disconnected the battery (numerous times) for more than a half an hour (to clear the ECU), shorted out battery cables whilst turning the key (to clear the ECU), checked several fuses (itemized in previous threads), let the car run for 20 minutes (in the garage), and looked around for any obvious gnaw marks from animals.

Standing by and thanks,
j

Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM

OBTW: I did try to pull OBD codes - nothing but the usual 1000 code.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I will post this again!!
TSB for CAN bus faults. Might be this or not.
More diagnosis??

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Diddion (06-03-2017), Jay48 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Others may disagree but ....................

Go and buy a new battery and make sure it is fully charged.
If you're lucky, everything may work again. If you still can't get out of "P" - remove the little "star" plug, push down with the end of the ignition key until you can move the gearshift. Then - start the car in "N".

Go for a drive - your dashboard may look like a Christmas tree and you'll get lots of error messages but don't worry - that's normal.

Do at least 10 miles - stop - turn off ignition - try to start.
If you're lucky, everything may work again.

If not - do the "key in star hole" again - start in "N" and drive home.

Edit - in case that sounds a bit flippant. It's as Bob says, a CAN fault. The ACC needs a temperature signal from the can to function so that's not the issue. The "er" will correct itself once everything else is OK.

Read the codes.
Erase all the codes.

Let us know what, if anything, has improved.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 05-22-2017 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay48 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Already DID buy a new battery.

OK, I did the "drive about" for about thirty minutes. Re-start and no joy. Still have all the errors.

When I shut down this time, no green (headlamp) indicator. However, when I twisted the key again - she's back. Put the trickle charger back on the beast.

However; I had air conditioning, radio, headlights, but the dash stayed as described before.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM

That Tech Bulletin says, "all of...symptoms" and I only have about half. However, it does suggest where to look.

That green light tells me something is looking for a ground and going through that light/system.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

No harm will be done in trying a "Hard Reset".

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ect-faq-74146/

Cheers,

Stu

Jay48 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I must agree with the above statements. Somewhere you have a grounding issue. These cars are very delicate when it comes to their electronics and especially after they have sit for a while without being ran started driven etc. I would have an electrical shop look at it honestly. Unless you can find a schematic (maybe a member has one they can post) you might have trouble tracking down this anomalie. I've installed a system in my jaguar that is extremely loud and heavy duty over 4000 watts and once I put my new box in the bass was so loud it rattled a connector loose and the abs and traction control n/a came on. I've figured out what it is but it still does it intermittently. Sometimes going over a bump will even trigger it. But I will say once you have the issue tracked down it should be a simple fix. Once my gas cap loose light came on and it was a small breather hose under the car that wasn't connected and since I plugged it back in it hasn't came back on since. Moisture and other factors could have caused the issue as well. Good luck

Jay48 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Issue:
Some vehicles within the above VIN range may display multiple electrical circuit malfunctions such as:
• Multiple warning lights
• No messages displayed on the message center
• All or some gauges go to zero
• Gear selector will not come out of the park position
• No A/C operation.

Do NOT replace the instrument pack
unless the vehicle shows ALL of the above symptoms of electrical circuit malfunction.

The TSB does NOT say there is no problem unless ALL of the faults are present!!
The TSB states that the INST PK is NOT to be replaced UNLESS ALL of the faults are present!!!!!!!

You are supposed to CHECK and REWORK the solder joints if any of the faults are present.

Is your INST PK marked with the M on the rear cover????
Did you look at the circuit board???

It is a known fault and Jaguar has issued a warning.
(disregard if you want)

bob

Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perform a hard reset, but removing both battery cables from the battery and putting them both together to ensure you are fully draining power from the modules.

Connect these back to a genuine DIN85 battery, connecting be positive terminal first

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Issue:
Some vehicles within the above VIN range may display multiple electrical circuit malfunctions such as:
• Multiple warning lights
• No messages displayed on the message center
• All or some gauges go to zero
• Gear selector will not come out of the park position
• No A/C operation.

Do NOT replace the instrument pack
unless the vehicle shows ALL of the above symptoms of electrical circuit malfunction.

The TSB does NOT say there is no problem unless ALL of the faults are present!!
The TSB states that the INST PK is NOT to be replaced UNLESS ALL of the faults are present!!!!!!!

You are supposed to CHECK and REWORK the solder joints if any of the faults are present.

Is your INST PK marked with the M on the rear cover????
Did you look at the circuit board???

It is a known fault and Jaguar has issued a warning.
(disregard if you want)

bob
I think you really need to check this. I had the same thing happen to me last fall. Started the car up one morning and it lit up like a Christmas tree. It ended up being the solder joint on the instrument panel. I tried to fix it by cutting the bad solder joint, but this only helped for one day. All the problems came back after two restarts.

I ended up buying a used instrument panel on Ebay. When I got it, I checked for the solder migration on the back circuit board. It did have that problem so I cleaned it up before installing. Problem solved.

The following 2 users liked this post by johns55:
Jay48 (05-23-2017), motorcarman (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:10 PM

OK, pulled the instrument panel - I'll give a blow by blow on that later. Wouldn't have been hard if I had some instructions.

"Bingo" found Bob's bulletin's solder overflow.

I'll do the repair and put it back together again.

More to follow.

Thanks Bob.

j

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay48:
motorcarman (05-23-2017), Norri (05-23-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 PM

OK, repaired the solder joints (the scrape method looked like butt) and still have the problem(s).

Just the scrape method.

Broke out the pencil soldering iron and some soldering wick to remove the excess.

Still have all the codes and errors.

Last edited by Jay48; 05-24-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Current status of my saga:

The headlight constant "on" is gone,

Still have the chimes and "ER" message on Temperature display,

Gauges and odometer still doing crazy things, and

Still have all the warnings in the speedo.

I've done the hard reset (several times); no joy.

I guess I'll take John's example and buy one off ebay and see if that fixes it.

j

Last edited by Jay48; 05-25-2017 at 10:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay48:
Burdedw (05-26-2017), StuG (05-25-2017), Truck Graphics (05-25-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Hey Race fans,

OK, after buying an instrument cluster off ebay (thanks Johns55 for the gouge) and installing it; all the previous problems are gone. It was $30 plus 20 handling/shipping. Now half my dash lights aren't working (pulled them and tested them all - check good), but I have no more "dings" going off, tach' works, and it appears all is well in the world again (except I gained 80K miles on the odometer - who cares?).

Hope this thread helps anyone else who gets the gift of WTFO. I never would have figured this out without everyone's help.

Thanks huge,
j

The following 4 users liked this post by Jay48:
Charbinjr (06-05-2017), cjd777 (06-04-2017), michaelh (12-28-2019), motorcarman (06-03-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

And I thought I had problems! Hope all continues great for you.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:05 PM

End note:

OK, the first replacement instrument cluster only had one dash light working. I decided to check continuity on the board with an ohm meter - everything had continuity but with 3 ohms between neighboring holes or 12 ohms from the two end holes. That told me there's probably some voltage bridge with transistors between the lights. So I replaced all the lights from my original cluster, because I knew them as good (I had electrically [12VDC] the bulbs in the second cluster before I installed it but they didn't work). NOTHING - I assume I broke the replacement cluster and so I found another one on ebay ~ $40.

That replacement was a better deal - it only had 80K on it; but only two of the lights worked. Replaced all the bulbs per (I don't have the thread but it's on the forum) the other gentleman's instructions and voilą! Another forum save.

Now I have extra parts, oh boy! I did find some of the bulbs had more than 80 ohms and half the time just taking them out and putting them back in fixed the problem (covalent corrosion?).

StuG (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM

And now I have a "low coolant" warning - it's like being married to a beautiful alcoholic stripper: great to look at, lots of problems, and it's going to cost you BIG!

Wheeeeee

Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay48
it's like being married to a beautiful alcoholic stripper: great to look at, lots of problems, and it's going to cost you BIG!

Wheeeeee
This must be the Jaguar Quote of the Year!

blindside (06-16-2017)