Sponsored by:

97 XK8 Left Tail Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XK8 Left Tail Light Problem

All,

Thanks for reading.

My issue is the Left tails light not lighting up.

Replaced the bulb
All other lights in the cluster work
Right side all bulbs in cluster work

I have run a meter across the +/- of the socket and compared it against the voltage from the right cluster and it appears to have a half a volt less than the Right side. (13.5 or so vs. 14.2) with car running/

which is the weird thing. I can see there is voltage in the socket on both the positive and negative yet the light will not work????

Is this difference in voltage of any concern?

Also had the fried ground that so many have experienced and followed a great idea from another post on how to address that.

On the plug, the Purple wire (next to the fried ground which appears to be the power lead for the tail light also has the reduced voltage so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the cluster it self.

Tracing back that wire, what would be causing it to have a reduced voltage? Is that reduction of a 1/2 a volt enough to make it not light up?
All the bulbs from that cluster all work fine in the Right one.

I hope I have explained my problem well enough.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Regards,

Mark

Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

1/2 volt less would still light...IF it was really just half a volt less with the bulb in the circuit.

Voltage alone is not sufficient to light a lamp, you need the ability to source current also.

I'd bet the voltage is under 6 volts if you measure it with the bulb in the circuit.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

My guess is that you have a ground issue that resulted in a wiring issue with the tail light (since that one is on the most it probably heated up and melted a connector or the like). If you take a look at the FAQ section tail light grounding is a known issue and easily fixable. I would trace back to the first connector on the wiring and see what kind of voltage you have there also check the overall condition looking for heat related damage. Also, read the thread in the FAQ section about the fix, I would do it now if it hasn't been done regardless of your current issues.

Post up what you find on these things and we'll get you closer to a solution. Oh also, swap the bulbs from side to side for me, A bad bulb is stupid and easy even though it doesn't explain the 6v I'd still give it a shot.