Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 XK8 No Spark, No Transmission Interlock

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 97 XK8 No Spark, No Transmission Interlock

Hello All,

I just bought a '97 XK8 Coupe. Non-running. (Yes, I am aware the engine could be a brick, but hoping I will get lucky !)

The car was sitting in a cool, dry storage unit and the story behind it is that the owner had a tiff with a repair facility and the car has never run since. Lots of solenoids missing, loose engine covers, but seems pretty complete and surprisingly, accessory power (lights, gauges, windows, etc.) seems to be getting to the right places.

I got the car to crank (blown fuse in the mega fuse module in the trunk) and am now working on spark. I smell gas (not a lot, but some) so am going to concentrate on spark next.

Using online repair manuals now. My repair manual disk should arrive soon. Maybe the manual will reveal all?

Anyway, the shift interlock solenoid is disabled (or non-existent...going to open that up soon) and I wonder if that would allow the engine to crank without spark ?

Trouble codes only show a problem with the neutral switch and the Mass Airflow Sensor (but the tube to the throttle body is off, so that should be the trigger for that.)

Another possibility - going to look for loose wires around the throttle body, (which seems to be glued with gasket sealer rather than a gasket). Might I find anything - important loose wires - in this area?

Finally, I can't find a test for the crank position sensor. Is there an ohms value I can use?

Any thoughts?

Sorry to be long winded. I don't have a troubleshooting tree (yet) but I do have a free weekend to work on it.

Thanks for listening.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

There is a check list for no start, but I forgot where. Someone will be around soon with it. The first thing is the battery. If the cranking voltage drops below about 10V the engine will turn over but the coils will not be supplied with power.

I'm not sure about shift interlock solenoid, never saw it mentioned before now. Once you do get spark it may not start because of bore wash. The fact that you smell gas indicates a possibility. That calls for removing the plugs from at least one bank and putting about 1 oz of oil in each cylinder, then turning it over a few times to distribute the oil while holding the pedal to the floor to shut off the fuel. Replace thew plugs and it should start, with a lot of oil smoke.

Last edited by RJ237; 08-07-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: sp
The following users liked this post:
Truck Graphics (10-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

You can usually hear the fuel pump run for a short time when you turn key to ign II.

Bore wash is a real risk (WOT cranking to clear the petrol, if it tries to start try about 1/2 throttle I think.) You may have to recharge the battery overnight.

You seem to be doing the right things so don't quit!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just went through the same process. bought a 97 xk8 ,needed trans ,tow home . intermittent no spark . turned out to be trans linkage adjustment. this is the only car I've ever heard of that will crank ,but inhibits spark if not in park . make sure the red light is lite for park at the shifter , no light ,no spark!!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:07 PM

if its shifter related, its not the shift interlock sol ,its the neutral switch on the trans . there around $800, so play with cable adjustment first !!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM

sorry ,I meant to start a new post

Last edited by xk8don; 08-08-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is about a XK8 that doesn't start. Instead of hijacking it to discuss timing chains, please start a new thread.

Last edited by RJ237; 08-08-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Truck Graphics: I asked earlier if the P was lit, have you checked that? Also try putting it in neutral and see if it starts.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Default On the Ball

Wow, you guys and / or gals are on the ball....

I think xk8don is on to something with the transmission...No red light. Seems to be out of adjustment. (I hope out of adjustment doesn't = fail !!!)

Also, thanks for the jagrepair.com link. I've been using it....

I popped off the J-gate cover (thank goodness for Youtube videos !), looked inside and said to myself - time for the manual, which should arrive tomorrow. (Also found some disconnected wires and figure it is best to use the manual to fit these properly as well.)

Thank you for the information. I will let you know the results of my electrical detective work. Hopefully this week ! ? Optimistic?

Oh...and one more thing....As I mentioned before, a number of relays were missing. Not being able to find Jaguar or Jag equivalent relays this weekend, I moved the critical brown relays over to critical points and placed some Optronics A-715A generic single pole/single throw relays in other points. They seem to work, but I wonder if they should be replaced when I get the car running --- or before?

Last edited by Truck Graphics; 08-09-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Generic relays will work, but the Jaguar relays have a resistor across the coil which reduces electrical spikes.

Over time, the accumulated effect of the spikes could damage the car's electronics, and they might interfere with the radio, so it is really best to replace them with a Jaguar relay or equivalent relay with spike suppression.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Just to update, I adjusted the shift gate to match the transmission lever position. Got the number 2 gear to light, but that's it. So I bought a used rotary switch today. On the old one, the gears appear to be stripped and when I shake it, something is loose inside. So, hoping that the new/used switch lights up the J-gate and energizes the sparkers.

Regarding the shift interlock: I found a pencil from the last "mechanic" jamming it open. Still doesn't work, but let's see if the rotary switch puts things in order. I measured the voltage going into the switch and it's a constant 8 volts, whether or not the brake is depressed. (Brake is depressed, but I'm going to be depressed if I can't fix this thing!) Battery is new and fully charged.

Other things found were the ground strap disconnected, a fair amount of trans oil on the outside of the trans, but it doesn't appear to be leaking (maybe it was changed before sending the car back to the owner), and a few orphan connectors which I will address as necessary (stay tuned).

Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 PM

....Installed the new/used rotary switch and the transmission lights lit up.

All codes gone except for P1000.

But still no spark....

There are a number of orphan wires in the engine compartment and here, I am posting photos. Perhaps someone can identify them, at least the important ones so I can restore spark.

1) Here are two connectors, both female, located on the left side near the cowl. They both have the same color wires. The brown connector, in particular looks important/substantial. Should these wires be spliced? What do they do?

2) The plug above, has a lot of yellow wires at back. It is located near the center of the cowl. No sign of a connector that matches. Ideas?

3) Blue and brown (spliced to white) wires located about the middle of the fender on the left side. No matching connector in sight. Ideas?

4) Behind the throttle body, on the same tree as the rotary switch plug are a brown and a white wire. (I spliced extensions so I could put the throttle body back in place and still have access.) Ideas?

Thank you all in advance. It any of these wiring points are valuable, I will be pleased to photograph and diagram these locations for future baffled XK8 owners.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Ouch...The silence is deafening. I imagine the readers here are all whispering, "he's done for, poor guy."

And that may be. But let me rephrase the question: Does anybody know where I might get a diagram of the wiring harness, with color codes for the wires. I am finding all sorts of homebrewed work in this car and would find it helpful to know how Jaguar originally intended the wiring to travel. (By the way, I now have 10s of manuals, none of which provide any answers!)

One specific question: Does anyone know the color of the wires coming from the Crank Position Sensor. I can reach it, of course, but am reluctant to peel the layers of insulation away if someone knows the answer offhand.

Thanks for listening.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

You can find the electrical guide at jagrepair.com

Old 10-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default No Spark

Just went through a no spark situation. XK8 just died on the road. Found blown coil fuse, located under the hood pass side under cover. After isolating each coil, found the new coil I replaced ( due to a failure code on my scan gauge) to be defective and shorted. U are right, engine will not start without the air intake. Hope this helps. Rich

Originally Posted by Truck Graphics
Hello All,

I just bought a '97 XK8 Coupe. Non-running. (Yes, I am aware the engine could be a brick, but hoping I will get lucky !)

The car was sitting in a cool, dry storage unit and the story behind it is that the owner had a tiff with a repair facility and the car has never run since. Lots of solenoids missing, loose engine covers, but seems pretty complete and surprisingly, accessory power (lights, gauges, windows, etc.) seems to be getting to the right places.

I got the car to crank (blown fuse in the mega fuse module in the trunk) and am now working on spark. I smell gas (not a lot, but some) so am going to concentrate on spark next.

Using online repair manuals now. My repair manual disk should arrive soon. Maybe the manual will reveal all?

Anyway, the shift interlock solenoid is disabled (or non-existent...going to open that up soon) and I wonder if that would allow the engine to crank without spark ?

Trouble codes only show a problem with the neutral switch and the Mass Airflow Sensor (but the tube to the throttle body is off, so that should be the trigger for that.)

Another possibility - going to look for loose wires around the throttle body, (which seems to be glued with gasket sealer rather than a gasket). Might I find anything - important loose wires - in this area?

Finally, I can't find a test for the crank position sensor. Is there an ohms value I can use?

Any thoughts?

Sorry to be long winded. I don't have a troubleshooting tree (yet) but I do have a free weekend to work on it.

Thanks for listening.

Truck Graphics (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

In photo #2, look's like it could be to an 02 sensor. There is a little manifold mounted on the firewall behind the throttle body where all the 02 sensors connect. Worth a look, good luck.

Truck Graphics (10-10-2015)
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM

...So after many months of sitting, I went back to my still sparkless 1997 Jaguar XK8. I take the Transmission Controller out, and what do I find, but a broken pin #26, which leads directly to an engine (and a bunch of other stuff) control fuse. Huzahh ! I go to eBay and find lots of 1998 Transmission Controllers and some 1997 Transmission Controllers. None match the number on mine exactly. And I have no idea if the controller in the car is correct either. However, one number, LJA 2401 AB, (or LNE 2401AB for Lincoln?) seems to be fairly consistent among controllers and this sounds like a master number (maybe because I have hope!)

Anyway:

1) Will a '98 controller fit a '97?
2) Do all numbers have to match?
3) What numbers should match?

Thank you.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Look in the trunk of the car I think in the tire area and you should find a sticker with a list of the control modules fitted for your car when it was built.

Truck Graphics (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 PM

I think I would try to get the controller repaired . Theres a company that repairs abs , engine modules , throttle bodied and so on . I've used them , I just can't remember their name

Quick Reply: 97 XK8 No Spark, No Transmission Interlock