XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 XK8 Powerfold mirrors will not unfold

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 97 XK8 Powerfold mirrors will not unfold

The unfolding of the mirrors has worked 99.9% of the time in the past 4 years, but in the last week, it has failed me 4 times, I get no unfolding response no matter how many times I pulled back on the joysick with the selector switch in the middle and car stationery, until it finally reacted or until I give up and manually unfolded both mirrors and start driving.

I also use the kerbside mirror dip function on a daily basis with no trouble; the failure to unfold is really annoying.

Can anyone give me hints to address this problem. Could it be dirty switch(es)? How do I pry off the mirror adjustment switches and window switches mounting plate on the driver's door armrest to examine/clean the switches? Many thanks in advance!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

First step in pulling switch is use a tool to pull the part that goes inside the pocket part just behind the switch. If you put your finger on wood cover and drag into pocket you are touching it. It has a plastic christmas tree in the middle of that leather covered part.

It covers the screw hole in the lower right corner of this picture.
Once this screw is removed it is a matter of picking up on the back edge as you pull back to get the switch to pull out. The soft padded part on the door panel has to give a little so you may want to slide a piece of poster board in between switch so you don't scratch.

This picture shows what it looks like with switch out you can see the small piece partially pulled back to expose the screw. Opposite side by the same.

The switch has a circuit board inside and will not be easy to take apart, repair and reassemble. I have done it and still had issues with mirrors afterward.

I just ordered a new switch $150 US giving up on successfully fixing a 20 year old switch exposed to humidity and corroding the circuit board.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your instructions on how to expose the lockdown screw for the switch panel. I'll report back after pulling the switch panel to examine the switches.

Originally Posted by TexMurphy
First step in pulling switch is use a tool to pull the part that goes inside the pocket part just behind the switch. If you put your finger on wood cover and drag into pocket you are touching it. It has a plastic christmas tree in the middle of that leather covered part.

It covers the screw hole in the lower right corner of this picture.
Once this screw is removed it is a matter of picking up on the back edge as you pull back to get the switch to pull out. The soft padded part on the door panel has to give a little so you may want to slide a piece of poster board in between switch so you don't scratch.

This picture shows what it looks like with switch out you can see the small piece partially pulled back to expose the screw. Opposite side by the same.

The switch has a circuit board inside and will not be easy to take apart, repair and reassemble. I have done it and still had issues with mirrors afterward.

I just ordered a new switch $150 US giving up on successfully fixing a 20 year old switch exposed to humidity and corroding the circuit board.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

The switch is really not intended to be serviced, however like anything on a circuit board there is a chance you may be able to fix something. It is not an easy task to get all things back in there place to snap it back together if you take it apart.

Best of luck

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Your advice is well taken. Will see what I encounter if it is a WD40 job or not ...

Originally Posted by TexMurphy
The switch is really not intended to be serviced, however like anything on a circuit board there is a chance you may be able to fix something. It is not an easy task to get all things back in there place to snap it back together if you take it apart.

Best of luck

Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
Your advice is well taken. Will see what I encounter if it is a WD40 job or not ...
Not WD-40, use Deoxit for electrical, the stuff is magic, believe me,
Vector