XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!

Alright, I can't drive my Jag 'cause it's laid up with a dead fuel pump, and I'm jonesn' for my daily time warp with my foot on the loud pedal!

Nalley's Jaguar, Atlanta wants $803.75 for a new pump - and that's WITH our forum discount! Geeze God, Man! That's friggen' crazy for a fuel pump. Maybe IF it was a 22,000 psi pump for a diesel truck, I'd understand but... WOW!

Okay...Rant over. Anybody have a recent line on lower cost pump for a 2003 XKR?

Help..... Please. I don't want to progress into the DT's from lack of Recaro prints on my back!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

EIGHT HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS??? That's insane. Is there really a difference between the XKR pump and the XK8 pump? They wanted a little over $400 for the 2003 XK8 pump.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Bought both fuel pumps rebuilt last week for $300 for the two, back on the road in 1 day.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Bought both fuel pumps rebuilt last week for $300 for the two, back on the road in 1 day.
Unfortunately, starting in 2003 the fuel pumps were completely different. They are MUCH more expensive.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if they would have this kind of part but they are near Atlanta in Lithonia, GA. I think one of the guys there is on this forum often. Let us know if you find any good info...

Land Rover Parts | Jaguar Parts | Coventry West, Inc.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 AM

Nalley's parts man "Mark" told me today that his records call for the SAME pump for an XK8 and an XKR in 2003....??????

I said, What?!! Really?

He responded he "was surprised himself, but that's what their 'puter was calling for." He was very polite, so I tried to engage him in conversation to get more info. When I asked if the 800 dollar pump had a backflow or check-valve. He said "I dunno....." Then he said "I'd look for a check-valve in the line somewhere, you'd think they'd put one there, not in the pump." Obviously, he DIDN'T know enough for me to continue questioning. He agreed that 800 bucks was crazy-high $$ - but in the close of the conversation offered that "they had one in stock."

Uhhhh Gee, thanks....

Coventry West doesn't show that they have one on their website.

I did see that Car Parts Discount listed the correct Jag part number and priced it at $650.00 ----- BUT ----- showed they were out of stock and offered that it usually took 1-2 M-o-n-t-h-s!!!!!! to ship it ! WTF?

I'm skeptical that they could even get it or would say that the website price was out of date. I will call them tomorrow.

2003 Jaguar XKR Electric Fuel Pump C2N 1147

Thanks for the spirit, guys.

Open to any ideas....

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Why do people always believe they can buy a once expensive car for little money and the expect it to have low maintenance/running costs!

Come on guys keep on dreaming, these are not high volume cars so expect to pay more for parts. What is the problem with that!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

are they made of gold?what a rip off

Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 AM

Well Jochem00, I guess it's a matter of perspective - as to what IS low maintenance/running costs isn't it?

My wife and I make less than 100K/year combined income- I have a 150k mortgage and a kid in college. We have indulged in very few extravagant things. I have been blessed with an able body and reasonably capable mind - enough to keep things in good order around the house and cars. and I enjoy the challenge... I try to do things myself so that we CAN have a few nice things like our beautiful XJR.

Too me, nearly $1000 bucks for two small parts (pump and filter) is pretty damn high. That's not a high price in your opinion? Do you get some sort of kick out of blowing mega bucks just because you perhaps don't "feel it" as much as I will? Should I be driving a Toyota Corolla and as you suggest - "keep on dreaming of low prices" while just imagining driving a Jag like happy high-rollers like you are able to do?

Seems to me like there may be a lot more people on this forum that relate to my situation than yours, dude.

Some minor thoughts on why I feel like 800 bucks for a pump is outrageous:

Ford owned and ran Jaguar during the time that our cars were made (2003-2005 series) and I just did a bit of figuring with production numbers.

I see that well over 250,000 AJ-V8 engines were made for Jags, Ford and Land Rovers they apparently ALL ran an injection system that did not use a return line- just like my XKR. So I would guess that they ALL used a variation on the same pump. Wouldn't you?

I just looked up a new pump for a 2003 T-bird and it is over $760!

With those numbers of vehicles produced, I guarantee Ford/Jaguar was putting those pumps in AJ-V8 machines for a whole hell of a lot less than that. My guess? Probably for less than 100 bucks a pop.

And with that many engine like ours out there still running up and down the road, there has to be a considerable demand for new fuel pumps as the old one wear out. Damn near any other replacement automotive pump is less than 400 bucks - and most are less than 150.

What's up with the $800 bucks? Why so high, I ask again?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Why do people always believe they can buy a once expensive car for little money and the expect it to have low maintenance/running costs!

Come on guys keep on dreaming, these are not high volume cars so expect to pay more for parts. What is the problem with that!
Really??? Not very helpful to a fellow enthusiast that is just desperately looking for help and just a "bit" frustrated.

Maxwdg: It looks like you are discovering a situation that effects many cars. Sometimes in an effort to "do it better" manufacturers go with a very costly part that ends up being a pain for the second owner..

Have you tried to search for a reasonably priced used one? Before you go off on my suggestion hear me out. When I discover things like that I will purchase a used part then look at getting the bad one rebuilt so that I have a spare on the shelf. Many times the cost of both is less than the new one. Also, Murphy's Law comes into play.... I almost always end up selling the spare in the end since I had one it never failed again..

Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Take in consideration that the only logic behind those sky rocketed prices is because replacement parts are a profit center for car manufacturers and dealers as well.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
Alright, I can't drive my Jag 'cause it's laid up with a dead fuel pump, and I'm jonesn' for my daily time warp with my foot on the loud pedal!

Nalley's Jaguar, Atlanta wants $803.75 for a new pump - and that's WITH our forum discount! Geeze God, Man! That's friggen' crazy for a fuel pump. Maybe IF it was a 22,000 psi pump for a diesel truck, I'd understand but... WOW!

Okay...Rant over. Anybody have a recent line on lower cost pump for a 2003 XKR?

Help..... Please. I don't want to progress into the DT's from lack of Recaro prints on my back!
I might have the pump in my shop. I can't remember offhand if it is for an XJ or XK. It is brand new, I've had it for probably two yrs, I believe it was puchased for a customer. Do you have the correct PN for your MY? I can check PNs if you are interested. If so, pls contact me by PM.

The following users liked this post:
JOsworth (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The pump was redesigned for the 4.2 to help with emissions by not returning fuel to the tank continuosly under control of a vacuum bypass. In order to do this, the pump now varies speed constantly to keep up fuel line pressure and has to be more durable and have more torque to accelerate quickly to do this. The price is way too high, I suggest looking for a used one from a wreck to save money. Lots of folks wreck these cars and there is a supply of parts.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I just went to Coventry West and , unless I am missing something, they have an aftermarket one for $175.00
Coventry West, Inc. - Online Store

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
I just went to Coventry West and , unless I am missing something, they have an aftermarket one for $175.00
Coventry West, Inc. - Online Store

That one is for 1997-98. He needs a pump for a 2003.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
EIGHT HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS??? That's insane. Is there really a difference between the XKR pump and the XK8 pump? They wanted a little over $400 for the 2003 XK8 pump.
The 03-06 fuel pumps are different for the R model, but I haven't seen one so don't know what the difference is. Must be the rubies across the top!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
That one is for 1997-98. He needs a pump for a 2003.
At the top of the link it says.

Car Types Jaguar XK8 1997-2006 4.2 ltr V-8 S/C 2003-2006 Fuel System Fuel Pumps

And a 1998-99 is not a 4.2. If it were me I take a closer look

Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
Open to any ideas....
This is a bit of generic advice that might not help. I'm clueless about "modern" Jags.....

Is the pump out of the car? If so, any manufacturer identification and model numbers? Often you can Google the info and come up with more resonably priced alternatives without the Jaguar label on the box.

It's worked for me a few times

Just a thought.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00

Perhaps no problem at all. Or perhaps a BIG problem. Sorta depends on how flush with cash you are at the time :-)

Umpteen years ago, when I first started driving Jags, I was in a much different financial situation than I'm in right now. Then or now I don't *expect* that a Jag will be inexpensive to keep. Now, though, if I can save a couple hundred dollars on a fuel pump (or whatever) it would really help.

Three years ago I probably would've have shrugged it off.

I suspect I'm not alone

Cheers
DD

Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Take in consideration that the only logic behind those sky rocketed prices is because replacement parts are a profit center for car manufacturers and dealers as well.
car manufacturers do not make FP's, they get Bosch and the like to make them for them and then they stock them in warehouses, which cost money. Which is why dealers are more expensive, same reason you buy a part online costs less than buying the same part in the part store.

Also, low volume parts ALWAYS cost a great deal higher than high volume, which is why a mustang FP costs $100 and a Jags costs $800, so there is no use complaining or throwing a tantrum. I have owned vette's, porsche's and now am into restoring cars and if you think $800 is high for a FP, look into getting sheet metal for a 70 Cuda or a dashpad.

To the OP, if you want the car on the road, get some vasoline and go to the dealer, else take your time and research, but I am thinking you are bitching about nothing, I know it hurts, but as the saying goes 'If you want exotic, you have to pay exotic'. I will say try Rockauto, some parts they have that no one else seems to stock and they have pretty good prices on most parts.

Quick Reply: Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!