XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xke1963
Thanks for pointing out the error on our website. I have sent an e-mail to our IT guy.
As the IT guy here at Coventry West, I also wanted to thank Coupe for making us aware of this.

It is actually a programming error, as the fitmet for that part is correct in our main inventory database.

For 30+ years CW has used a highly-customized flat file database running under DOS to operate the business. Our online store's shopping cart system requires a separate parts database and we use a conversion routine to pull data out of our main parts database to create the online store database we upload. In this particular case, the conversion routine is picking up the wrong data for the engine field. I've asked our programmer to find out why and to fix it!

Hopefully we can get this corrected today.

FWIW Coventry West is almost finished moving to a more modern software package which will eventually allow us to link our online store directly into our main parts inventory database.

Best regards,

Gregory Wells 800-331-2193 x103
Coventry West, Inc. Atlanta, GA
Jaguar & Land Rover Parts
(New, Rebuilt & Used) Land Rover Parts | Jaguar Parts | Coventry West, Inc.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
Nalley's parts man "Mark" told me today that his records call for the SAME pump for an XK8 and an XKR in 2003....??????

I said, What?!! Really?

He responded he "was surprised himself, but that's what their 'puter was calling for." He was very polite, so I tried to engage him in conversation to get more info. When I asked if the 800 dollar pump had a backflow or check-valve. He said "I dunno....." Then he said "I'd look for a check-valve in the line somewhere, you'd think they'd put one there, not in the pump." Obviously, he DIDN'T know enough for me to continue questioning. He agreed that 800 bucks was crazy-high $$ - but in the close of the conversation offered that "they had one in stock."

Uhhhh Gee, thanks....
maxwdg, sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. To echo what some others have said, understand that you own a limited-production, premium vehicle that was over $80,000 when brand new. I'll make no claims otherwise - Jaguar parts are expensive, whether the car is brand new or 30 years old. But I really feel we are offering a value to the forum members with our discounted pricing strategy. We can only go so far as what Jaguar offers us in terms of discounts, otherwise we're not making enough to stay in business. I won't disclose our actual dealer cost on that part, but let's say that the difference between your discounted price and MSRP is GREATER than my profit on the part.

As far as the information, we're only given as much as Jaguar gives us. Our catalog, quite literally, only gives us information as much as "2003+ Jaguar XKR, fuel pump module, C2N1147". That's all. No information about a check valve, backflow valve, nothing. On some of the more common parts where we've run into issues, we do have that information but it's only garnered from personal experience - nothing that Jaguar has given us.

C2N1146 and C2N1147 are indeed different, and their prices are different as well ($530 MSRP vs $950 MSRP). Mark was incorrect with specifying that they are the same for either model - for that, I apologize on his behalf. He's actually an excellent parts salesman, and has been doing this for over 25 years. All I can say is mistakes happen to everyone.

If I can save you some time and effort of a homemade fix for a crucial component of your fuel system, let me send you a fuel filter for the XKR at no charge. I don't want you to get the wrong impression that we are opportunists or ripoff artists - we are simply trying to sell parts at a discounted price to our loyal customers. Email me at dwicker@nalleycars.com and I will get one out to you.

Thanks for giving us a shot. I hope you can see the value in our business and I want to earn your business in the future.

Last edited by nalleyjagparts; 09-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by nalleyjagparts:
Cadillac (10-01-2011), Doug (09-30-2011), ipurr2 (10-25-2011), Norri (10-10-2011), Stratohammer (09-30-2011), test point (09-30-2011), The Coupe (09-30-2011), WhiteXKR (09-30-2011) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Max, in regards to the fuel filter I ran into the same problem. All of the parts suppliers wanted to sell me a filter with screw fittings, but the attachments on my car have the slide on fittings. Another member suggested that I look at a filter for an S-Type. I ended up buying that filter. Ask for a filter for a 4.2 liter S-type. I got a filter for a 3.0 liter, and it's slightly smaller in diameter. It works, however. I just wrapped a little padded tape around it so it holds securely in the bracket.

Look at my video called "Dirty Fuel Filter". That filter looks just like yours, right?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Also, I just bought a fuel pump assembly. My pump is fine, I just need the check-valve on the assembly. So, after I get mine replaced, I'll sell you my old fuel pump cheap. The pump itself works, so you could remove your pump from the your assembly and install mine. Or, you could just take the check-valve off of your assembly and use it to replace the bad one on my assembly. That would probably be easier. On the picture I saw it looks like the check valve is just clamped onto a hose externally to the fuel pump.

Of course, if you're in a hurry that won't work. My pump won't be here until next week. I'll probably pull the tank and replace the pump next weekend. That means I couldn't even ship my old pump to you until Monday, October 10th.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,780 Likes on 7,112 Posts

Originally Posted by covwest
As the IT guy here at Coventry West, I also wanted to thank Coupe for making us aware of this.

Glad to see you here, Greg :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doug,

I'd have been here sooner if I had known it was one of your hang-outs. LOL!

Did you ever get the brakes done on that Gullwing?

BTW, we have resolved the problem with our online store regarding the 4.2L XK* fuel pump. Store listing should be correct now.

Best regards,

Gregory Wells 800-331-2193 x103
Coventry West, Inc. Atlanta, GA
Jaguar & Land Rover Parts
(New, Rebuilt & Used) Land Rover Parts | Jaguar Parts | Coventry West, Inc.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,780 Likes on 7,112 Posts

To Greg:
Got the Gullwing brakes figured out, yes. They use a unique (to me, at least) friction-based adjusting mechanism. Fascinating cars.

To the Group: Anyone not having spoken Greg has missed out on a great conversation...no matter what the topic....with a fine southern gent. He has helped me on many occassions, many having nothing to do with selling Jaguar parts.

He, and everyone at Coventry West, is aces in my book.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

To Dan at Nalley Jag Parts: Thank you for clarifying several things for me and please, take no offense toward your company or Mark your salesman.

Re: Mark, I have sold auto parts myself - when I was just out of high school in the late 1970s. I know very well how a parts man cannot always know every individual system in the cars that customers need help with. I must say that Mark obviously took his time to lookup what he thought would have been an alternative to the $800 fuel pump and I believe conflicting or certainly confusing information he had in front of him lead him to draw the conclusion he did. No harm, No foul, as I said, he was polite and sympathetic to the financial outlay it looked like I was facing.

Re: Opportunistic pricing. I did not mean to imply that Nalley's was specifically engaging in that sort of thing - I just happened to use the numbers I received at your company as an example of what I (individually) felt was outrageous. I understand that it's not you that set the prices and in fact, I understand and appreciate that Nalley's actually gives favorable pricing to forum members - that's real cool. I'm sorry if it came across as though I was pointing a finger directly at your company - That was not my intention. I should have been more careful in my ranting.

My POINT is that the motive system in my particular Jaguar is not that unique. With over 250,000 vehicles in three years having similar operational systems being produced by FORD no less, there just doesn't seem, from an outsider looking in, any good reason WHY such common replacement parts should be so high dollar. And I question why so much MIS-INFORMATION on parts is swarming around in the aftermarket? It has been very frustrating to myself and many others.

Yup, I know I'm driving a once 80,000 or higher dollar car, and I'm gleamingly proud of it! Having had three Jags in the last 8 years, I anticipate owning another in the future - for sure. There's nothing that that I've ever had the pleasure to command that drives as refined.

RE: fuel filter. The offer you made to me is very generous and I intend to take you up on it, Dan. Thank you. Expect an email from me this afternoon.

Cheers, and I will absolutely call Mark at your parts counter for my next OEM part requirement.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxwdg
I
I found a used one (full assembly) with a absolute no DOA guarantee, plus a 90 day guarantee beyond that. It's from a 2003 XKR with 50,000 miles.

Paid $300.00 shipped to my door from Jaguar Heaven out of Stockton, CA.
Hey Sam, Like yourself, I purchased a used pump yesterday also. Like your pump, mine will probably not arrive at my home until mid week at best.
You probably wont need another check valve but either one of us could make a complete assembly with the extra parts we'll both have left over.

Lets PM each other next week and we'll work out who wants to do what with his partial Fuel Pump Module

-Max

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 AM

Success! She lives again!

Drove her 45 miles tonight and re-learned how sweet it is! Car runs great again!

Replaced fuel pump module, filter and fuel line. I now have 50-60psi at startup and 65 to 80 psi when idling or revving the engine a bit.

Wow, how many things I learned!

For a 2003 XKR-P with a bad fuel pump:

Removing the tank to replace the pump is not particularly easy - in fact its H A R D (much of the difficulty is getting the damn line out of the bottom of the tank before you can remove the tank from the car - even with the proper tools it S U C K S!) A guy at a salvage yard told me that he had MADE a special tool to do the job. I wished that I had had one of those specialized tools.

Be certain to line the fuel tank flanges with a heavy tape - 'cause they are uber-sharp.

Inside the trunk, take the fuel filler door actuator off - or you'll probably break it off (like I did) by smacking it with the filler neck plumbing attached to the fuel tank, when removing or installing the tank.

2003-2005 XK8 and XKRs have different pumps from earlier models and the pumps absolutely ARE NOT COMPATIBLE - even though MANY parts store books and computer documents tell us that they are. Both the 2003 and later XK8 and XKR have Ford Motor Co designed, high pressure/performance return-less fuel fuel systems. Those type of EFI pump/motors are kinda high dollar. $175 - $300.

However, nobody seems to make a pump that is designed to "drop into" the Jaguar Fuel Pump in-tank Module. The module is made by VDO and Jag had a deal with them to produce those pumps ONLY for Jaguar and will not sell them to the aftermarket.

So if you dont want to do a bunch of retrofitting research and guessing about just which pump/motor assembly to purchase for your XKR and perform a do-it-yourself retrofit job using a Ford Mustang-type High Performance pump then it seems at the time of my writing, you have two choices - a new or used full fuel module. New prices are running from about $750 to $950 for the module (which contains the pump, sock, swirl pot, regulator, check valve and the fuel level sending unit - all made by VDO in Europe) I managed to find a used module out of a 2003 XKR (that had been rolled) with 50K miles on the clock, for $312.00 - shipped to my home. I was lucky in the fact that after a intensive inspection and cleaning of the used part, I found it to be in good condition and, in fact, worked well when I put it into my car!

The fuel filter (which really should be replaced when ever a new pump is put into service) is made by Jaguar in Poland - and once again, it seems it is of proprietary design and get this..... 95% of the auto parts stores specify the WRONG filter anyhow! When you can find the correct filter listed, you will find it ranges from $67 to over $100 !!!!
Here's the deal....If you have to use the OEM part, Nalley's in Atlanta always has them in stock and gives forum members a decent discount on parts. However, I got out my calipers and measured the Jag filter, then went to work on the internet to find a less expensive replacement. Purolator PN#F65217 ($10.99 at Advance AP) is an exact replacement - I know this for a fact, I tried one on my car, But....since the guys at Nalley's were kind enough to send me one of the OEM filters before I found the Purolator, I did go ahead and use the OEM filter.

Good Luck! As I said, this isn't an easy job to do... But, you could save yourself $1000 or more by doing it yourself using salvaged parts or finding a new pump/motor that you can make work within your OEM swirl pot (Fuel Pump Module assembly.)

And this.... This forum.... My Gawd! What WOULD we do with out it???

"Tanks" to all the help I received from sooo many members!

Cheers to all,

Last edited by maxwdg; 10-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Sorry for being late for you. But I have made my own tool to get the pipes out of the fuel tank. Am using a standard plastic pipe (for electrical wiring), made a large opening, so you can get it over the fuel pipe, and have made the end such (by heating) that it nicely fits the around the fuel pipe. This becomes now a 5 minute job, just slide the plastic pipe over the fuel line, push it in, and pull the fuel line out with a hook. Here are 2 pictures:

This type of pipe can also be used to slide over the sharp lip on the sides of the fuel tank, just cut the pipe open, and slide it over the sharp lip (I even left it on).

Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice nice nice, happy ending

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sorry for being late for you. But I have made my own tool to get the pipes out of the fuel tank. Am using a standard plastic pipe (for electrical wiring), made a large opening, so you can get it over the fuel pipe, and have made the end such (by heating) that it nicely fits the around the fuel pipe. This becomes now a 5 minute job, just slide the plastic pipe over the fuel line, push it in, and pull the fuel line out with a hook. Here are 2 pictures
What size pipe did you use? I'm going to be doing this soon.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM

To member AVOS: Why do I often miss seeing such obvious and easy solutions?

The score??? The panel of judges award:

AVOS 10.0 - Max 4.0

(It should be a Zero for Max, but the judges gave him 4 points for effort....EXTREME effort!)

Thanks for that great suggestion AVOS.

Reverend Sam, I'll PM you and you can call me - we can discuss that blasted check valve thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

@Sam
The pipe I used had an od of 19mm and id of 16mm. Then the top needs to be cut so that you can bend it around a 10mm od pipe (I used some heat so it would stay nicely round).

@Maxwdg,
Cheers

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I also own a BMW and they too can put you in a tail spin for part prices. $225.00 for a key! at that was discounted.

I found new seat covers for under $500. for my XK8 on eBay as well as other items for both my Jag & BMW.

I have found that eBay has alot of good parts for prices no one else has and I rarely fail to find what I need.

While I do not say you will find your pump for $100.00 I believe you will find it for much less.

Give it a try, all it will cost you is some time on the computer.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out "PARTS GEEK" for you pump

Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Take in consideration that the only logic behind those sky rocketed prices is because replacement parts are a profit center for car manufacturers and dealers as well.

My '97 is Sherwood green, did you get your's repainted?

Last edited by Cat888; 10-22-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been looking and I am afraid that a pump for your year car is around $500.00, while a pump for my 1998 in less than $100.00.

The pump in your car is a major difference to the early cars and I guess it is just going to be BIG $$$$$ to replace it.

Have you tried looking for a tested used pump? I know that "used" can be a dirty word but used is much cheaper and I have found that for some parts, it just makes sense to go for it.

In this case, fuel pumps seem to last a long time and out of a low mileage car, the odds are on your side.

Just a suggestion

Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cat888
My '97 is Sherwood green, did you get your's repainted?
No, this is the original British Racing Green.

Quick Reply: Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!