XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool abs brakes

hello forum, once in awhile my abs light comes on and when it does it stays on.... also on my dash the message says something to the effect that the traction is not engaged.... when i press the traction button no light comes on .... when i shut down the car and after awhile i start it up again all the lights are gone and the traction light works again and everything seems fine ..... is this normal ????

Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Tony,

You've got a common bug there. Prime suspects are the wiring and connectors leading to the front wheel sensors, and/or a cold solder joint within the ABS electronics module. Search on these topics and also look at the material in the "How-to" stuff in the Sticky threads above.

I'd look to the sensors first: most probable, easiest to trouble shoot.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Cool abs brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Tony,

You've got a common bug there. Prime suspects are the wiring and connectors leading to the front wheel sensors, and/or a cold solder joint within the ABS electronics module. Search on these topics and also look at the material in the "How-to" stuff in the Sticky threads above.

I'd look to the sensors first: most probable, easiest to trouble shoot.

thanks dennis07 will try to look into.. is it anything major to worry about when it comes to braking and stopping.... or basically sensors and solder for abs? also can these problems be fixed kind of easily or are they a pain.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Tony,
Before you start ripping things apart, check your battery first. How old is it, how often do you drive the car and for how far?. The fact that when you turn the car off and then restart, and everything goes back to normal, points to an undercharged battery.

These cars do not like the slightest drop in volts so I would look there first. Try a full charge and then see what happens.

When you do get the ABS warning all that happens is you won't have ABS available, but the brakes will still operate.

Hope this helps,

Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Cool abs brakes

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Tony,
Before you start ripping things apart, check your battery first. How old is it, how often do you drive the car and for how far?. The fact that when you turn the car off and then restart, and everything goes back to normal, points to an undercharged battery.

These cars do not like the slightest drop in volts so I would look there first. Try a full charge and then see what happens.

When you do get the ABS warning all that happens is you won't have ABS available, but the brakes will still operate.

Hope this helps,

thanks just got the jag about a month, don't use it everyday.. but will also look into.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you don,t use it everyday then get yourself a CTEK battery tender. Best money you will ever spend and it will certainly cut out those spurious electrical problems.

The following users liked this post:
tony bosco (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Cool abs brakes

Originally Posted by jimbov8
If you don,t use it everyday then get yourself a CTEK battery tender. Best money you will ever spend and it will certainly cut out those spurious electrical problems.

sounds good will pick one up......tks tony