XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and traction control error

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ABS and traction control error

I hope this finds me some help with the ABS problem. I have both the amber and red dash light with the traction control error message. I checked the 3 fuses and I have no power to them, the others seem o.k. I disconnected the harness from the module and let it set a few minutes and then plugged it back in after cleaning with contact cleaner. After starting car the message would be gone, but after a few minutes it would reappear. I checked the fuses before the error would appear and still no voltage to these fuses. Does anyone know what feeds these 3 fuses. I assume that the power to the module comes from these 3.Also I don't belive the red light ever went out. I thought that the amber would come on first, then the red. I did have the hood open while doing this in case it was for an open hood. Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking re ABS and Traction Control error

I too just this past week had this problem..I even used the auto store purchased code reader and erased the code (which I've Done before..(Only because I knew it was solvable). After it cleared it and came immediately back, I then took it to my mechanic which put it on the rack ( ..if you have a floor jack handy you can do this yourself) he unplugged the speed sensors and sprayed contact cleaner and replugged them back (at All 4Tires) NO MORE Error Message!!..Free solution as I hope this works for you too. It drove me batty so I feel your concern.

The following users liked this post:
jaysjag (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

The ABS module can cause problems.

Try reading these threads for useful information:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...001-xkr-37907/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-fixed-40238/

jaysjag (06-09-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoseisit
I too just this past week had this problem..I even used the auto store purchased code reader and erased the code (which I've Done before..(Only because I knew it was solvable). After it cleared it and came immediately back, I then took it to my mechanic which put it on the rack ( ..if you have a floor jack handy you can do this yourself) he unplugged the speed sensors and sprayed contact cleaner and replugged them back (at All 4Tires) NO MORE Error Message!!..Free solution as I hope this works for you too. It drove me batty so I feel your concern.
It's often due to either a break in a wire to the wheel sensor, commonly front due to wheel turning, or due to a faulty solder joint in the abs module connector from the pump to the circuit board.

Whoseisit- hope it is a sustained fix but if it's a broken wire that's been reconnected by removing the connector it may come back. A code reader that detects the jaguar abs codes may tell you which wheel is the culprit.

Regards
John

Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I sent my ABS module to ASI. The pump connection code is gone, but I still have a wheel sensor fault. All of the sensors have the same resistance at the plug, and switching cables and sensors has no impact, so I think they did not do a complete repair. I will be back in touch with them.
The good news is that the ABS light no longer comes on. I can read the code and erase with Autoenginuity, but it comes back.
RJ________________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Use this link on my page to view a detailed checklist on troubleshooting your ABS system on your 99 xk8 Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource This should help.

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
I sent my ABS module to ASI. The pump connection code is gone, but I still have a wheel sensor fault. All of the sensors have the same resistance at the plug, and switching cables and sensors has no impact, so I think they did not do a complete repair. I will be back in touch with them.
The good news is that the ABS light no longer comes on. I can read the code and erase with Autoenginuity, but it comes back.
RJ________________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi.
This sounds very much like an intermittent connectivity problem and, if so, it may not show up under a static resistance test. Pretty common, and almost always occurs at a front-wheel.

A test for it is to monitor resistance to each front wheel sensor while exercising the steering or wiggling the wiring and connector near the sensor. A resistance blip while doing this = you found it.

jaysjag (06-12-2012)

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Dennis,
I went through that exercise, and like I said, even swapped the left and right sensors and cables with no effect. Resistance of all four wheels is the same at the connection to the ABS module and turning the steering wheel has no effect.
RJ___________________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, I see. Scratch my idea then.

Is the code you're getting now always indicating the same sensor ... and does the indicated sensor change if you swap things around?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

The same sensor, which is why I think it's a connection in the ABS module. Swapping sensor and cable does not change it.
RJ

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
The same sensor, which is why I think it's a connection in the ABS module. Swapping sensor and cable does not change it.
RJ
Sure sounds that way. The only other (unlikely?) possible would seem to be an intermittent fault in the harness or at the big connector that goes to the module.

FWIW, if you're not getting an ABS light, I think the system is working normally even if it has for some reason stored a code since the last reset.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Also have pretty much the same issue. I checked the wheel sensors and measured LHF 1,139 LHR 1,132 RHF 1,144 LHR 1,142. I checked the abs plug, cleaned, and applied conductivity grease to pins. I then used a code reader and removed the abs error code. I restarted the car and let it idle. After about 5 minutes it would reappear. I repeated this 3 times and each time the same outcome. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but with it in park with no movement, would that rule out the wheel sensors. I'm trying to rule out everything before I tear into the abs module. Also if the pump is running would you be able to feel it ? Not sure which way to turn next.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The ABS system will begin testing and sending pulses out to identify that all is good. What are your codes and are they the same every time? I had the ABS fail on both me 95 xj6 & 99 xk8 and both times it would flag just after startup and many times in park. I also had the ABS flag caused by a weak battery have you checked it?

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaysjag
Also have pretty much the same issue. I checked the wheel sensors and measured LHF 1,139 LHR 1,132 RHF 1,144 LHR 1,142. I checked the abs plug, cleaned, and applied conductivity grease to pins. I then used a code reader and removed the abs error code. I restarted the car and let it idle. After about 5 minutes it would reappear. I repeated this 3 times and each time the same outcome. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but with it in park with no movement, would that rule out the wheel sensors. I'm trying to rule out everything before I tear into the abs module. Also if the pump is running would you be able to feel it ? Not sure which way to turn next.
This does rule out one aspect of the wheel sensors (the AC signal generated as the wheel turns) but not any continuity tests. The latter are checked at startup and periodically ... I don't know exactly when.

Opening a connector to a sensor while the car is running but not in motion DOES cause an ABS light, so the continuity tests must be going on at that time.

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

jaysjag,
If one of the codes is for ABS pump connection I think you can be certain the module needs rebuilding.
RJ_______________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi.

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM

No, I have not checked the battery, but it seems to start with plenty of voltage. I will check it, I assume that 12 volts or say is o.k. As for the continuity test, I'm a little confused to what your saying, I ohm'd the sensors and they seem o.k. The cold solder joints that I hear about in the module, would this prevent the pump from running, and can you feel the pump running if it is. I do not have an abs code reader, so I cannot tell what the code is.

Last edited by jaysjag; 06-12-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sorry I thought you said you read and cleared the codes. Take it to a shop that can put a load test on the battery. A simple voltage check will not do the job.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaysjag
No, I have not checked the battery, but it seems to start with plenty of voltage. I will check it, I assume that 12 volts or say is o.k. As for the continuity test, I'm a little confused to what your saying, I ohm'd the sensors and they seem o.k. The cold solder joints that I hear about in the module, would this prevent the pump from running, and can you feel the pump running if it is. I do not have an abs code reader, so I cannot tell what the code is.

If battery condition were an issue, a fault would appear at startup, not later on. You can probably rule that out. (In most cases, BTW, all of the information about battery condition is encoded in a voltage measurement, properly measured and interpreted. A "load test" can be many things; most don't really add value.)

As the car idles, something intermittent in the module or the harness or a connector could go open and cause the ABS light. This kind of thing seems most likely.

I'm confused on the code reader. You earlier cleared a code, but don't now have access to a reader?

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Do not rule out the battery check your car is the same year mine is if you do you are only fooling yourself! It may or may not be the problem. Do the right thing and get it checked it does not cost a thing to do.

jaysjag (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the help Dennis/Gus,what I have can read general codes and clear them, but cannot read abs codes, so I have no way to tell what's wrong. I'm just trying to use the methods that are on the site to narrow it down. The last time I drove it the car it when into safe mode, 10mph. The battery is somewhat larger than the reguler type, so can the auto store test this type. So you think that the wheel sensors are o.k. Also can you feel the pump running if it is.

Quick Reply: ABS and traction control error