Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this actually an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Is this actually an XKR

Is this car actualy an XKR or a regular XK8 with a special R type trim level?

https://www.carsforsale.com/used_car...k8_224890402_5

Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since it doesn't have louvres on the bonnet it's got to be an 8

Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's also missing the supercharger

Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

We are proud to present a * * 2005 jaguar xk8 convertible * * carbon fiber r edition * * heated leather/suede seats * *

Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Based on the VIN it's an XK8 and priced very high.

Mark

Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Is this car actualy an XKR or a regular XK8 with a special R type trim level?
NO - normally aspirated engine as shown on their website photos:

Is this actually an XKR-engine.jpg

They aren't trying to hide anything as the text describes it as an XK8. It may be fitted with the optional 'R' Performance Brakes leading to the confusing model name they have put in the advertisement.

I think the dash veneer is grey stained and not carbon fibre and would certainly question why anyone would change an XK8 driver's airbag for an XKR one.

Graham

Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
NO - normally aspirated engine as shown on their website photos:

Attachment 78480

They aren't trying to hide anything as the text describes it as an XK8. It may be fitted with the optional 'R' Performance Brakes leading to the confusing model name they have put in the advertisement.

I think the dash veneer is grey stained and not carbon fibre and would certainly question why anyone would change an XK8 driver's airbag for an XKR one.

Graham
The airbag is what confused me the most on this car; a deployment-related replacement is what comes to mind first. However, I do think the dash is actually carbon fiber from this picture.

Nonetheless, this is an XK8 and NOT an XKR.

Attached Thumbnails Is this actually an XKR-dash1.jpeg  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

2005 XK8 Carbon Fiber Edition - the grille is aftermarket. See this thread for a similar discussion - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uestion-91484/

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always tell if the grille has been fitted after, they do not fit the brackets to hold the sides out but screw them back to the bumper beam giving that very curved effect....

Does look a very nice car, love the 2 tone trim

Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
The airbag is what confused me the most on this car; a deployment-related replacement is what comes to mind first. However, I do think the dash is actually carbon fiber from this picture.

Nonetheless, this is an XK8 and NOT an XKR.
It's certainly carbon Fibre patterned. However the gloss makes me think it could be sticky back plastic and not the real thing.

Graham

Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
It's certainly carbon Fibre patterned. However the gloss makes me think it could be sticky back plastic and not the real thing.

Graham

That is a possibility. I do believe, though, the 2-tone seats w/ suede inserts were only available as a part of the Caron Fibre Edition leading me to think the dash is genuine CF.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

THE CAR IS ONLY WORTH 11 GRAND IN OEM CONFIGURATION.

With the aftermarket items and personal configurations, that is a risk the seller has to take, and should not jack the price up of the car, as a bank will not loan you more than the car is worth, neither will most buyers want to pay much more than its worth.

Id keep searching.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham

The gloss carbon fiber finish is factory correct.
See the pic below for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Is this actually an XKR-xkr-int.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aode06
THE CAR IS ONLY WORTH 11 GRAND IN OEM CONFIGURATION. With the aftermarket items and personal configurations, that is a risk the seller has to take, and should not jack the price up of the car, as a bank will not loan you more than the car is worth, neither will most buyers want to pay much more than its worth. Id keep searching.

I'd say 11k is a little low.. Maybe 13-14k is fair. It is an 05, and low mileage ones from 05-06 command somewhat higher prices.

But I agree, keep looking. The airbag mismatch would scare me away.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM

After a bit of browsing I came across these examples and I believe the "R" airbag cover is standard. There is a special Carbon Fiber edition brochure on eBay now but the picture is not clear.

2005 Jaguar Xk8 CARBON FIBER PACKAGE For Sale In RIVERVIEW FL - PORT TAMPA AUTO GROUP
and
2005 Jaguar XK8 Convertible 294 HP, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

And the press release was used on this site:
Blog: Auto News Blog
July 22, 2005

New Jaguar XK Carbon Fiber Limited Edition
Posted by autonews
Jaguar is celebrating its XK sports car's continued dominance in North American Trans-Am Tour racing by introducing a limited edition, high-tech XK8 Convertible Carbon Fiber Edition. Just 200 of the special 294-bhp (SAE) 4.2-liter XK8 Convertibles will be offered, each featuring dramatic, Carbon Fiber veneer across the dash and center console. Rocketsports Racing uses Carbon Fiber in the entire body construction of its Trans-Am Tour championship-winning Jaguar XKR race cars to shave weight and add strength. The limited edition XKs will also feature plush Alcantara inserts in the seats and door panels, a set of sporty aluminum and rubber-studded brake, accelerator and footrest pedals, plus a leather Momo gear knob-each giving the driver extra control in hard driving. For the exterior, there are bold, 10-spoke Atlas 19-inch cast alloy wheels, along with four stunning exterior/interior color combinations. On sale now, the XK8 Convertible Carbon Fiber Edition starts for $80,090,* which includes destination and delivery charges. * Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Includes destination and delivery. Excludes taxes, title, license, emissions and other local fees. Actual dealer price may vary.... --- Auto News & Car Reviews: HugeDomains.com - ConsumersHero.com is for Sale (Consumers Hero)

Last edited by MarcB; 04-01-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarcB
After a bit of browsing I came across these examples and I believe the "R" airbag cover is standard. There is a special Carbon Fiber edition brochure on eBay now but the picture is not clear. 2005 Jaguar Xk8 CARBON FIBER PACKAGE For Sale In RIVERVIEW FL - PORT TAMPA AUTO GROUP and 2005 Jaguar XK8 Convertible 294 HP, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction And the press release was used on this site: Blog: Auto News Blog July 22, 2005 New Jaguar XK Carbon Fiber Limited Edition Posted by autonews Jaguar is celebrating its XK sports car's continued dominance in North American Trans-Am Tour racing by introducing a limited edition, high-tech XK8 Convertible Carbon Fiber Edition. Just 200 of the special 294-bhp (SAE) 4.2-liter XK8 Convertibles will be offered, each featuring dramatic, Carbon Fiber veneer across the dash and center console. Rocketsports Racing uses Carbon Fiber in the entire body construction of its Trans-Am Tour championship-winning Jaguar XKR race cars to shave weight and add strength. The limited edition XKs will also feature plush Alcantara inserts in the seats and door panels, a set of sporty aluminum and rubber-studded brake, accelerator and footrest pedals, plus a leather Momo gear knob-each giving the driver extra control in hard driving. For the exterior, there are bold, 10-spoke Atlas 19-inch cast alloy wheels, along with four stunning exterior/interior color combinations. On sale now, the XK8 Convertible Carbon Fiber Edition starts for $80,090,* which includes destination and delivery charges. * Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Includes destination and delivery. Excludes taxes, title, license, emissions and other local fees. Actual dealer price may vary.... --- Auto News & Car Reviews: HugeDomains.com - ConsumersHero.com is for Sale (Consumers Hero)

Very interesting! I would have to agree with you then, the the "R" airbag was standard on all carbon fibre editions.

Perhaps, by 05-06, jaguar needed to use up remaining parts and had a lot of the "R" airbags on hand so decided to put them on all carbon fibre cars.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by MarcB
The gloss carbon fiber finish is factory correct.
See the pic below for reference.
You have OE Carbon Fibre so will be more familiar with it than I am.

It was the smooth reflection (circled in red) instead of the textured finish I was used to from the UK 4.2-S Final Series of 2005 that made me think it was stick-on:

Is this actually an XKR-carbon.jpg

Graham

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
You have OE Carbon Fibre so will be more familiar with it than I am. It was the smooth reflection (circled in red) instead of the textured finish I was used to from the UK 4.2-S Final Series of 2005 that made me think it was stick-on: Graham

Interesting. I wasn't aware the US Spec carbon fibre had a different finish than the Europe spec 4.2-S. I'll have to look into that

Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Interesting. I wasn't aware the US Spec carbon fibre had a different finish than the Europe spec 4.2-S. I'll have to look into that
Indeed. I did the JagWrangler's conversion and I actually sourced my 3 gauge center section from Europe, it matched perfectly.

Maybe the textured one Graham is referring was not OEM or was a different material - there were a number of veneers offered that were not readily available in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Is this actually an XKR