Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise?

I've just found out about the adaptive cruise control by Jaguar, and heard the mostly negative comments, so naturaly I'm wondering if there's any way to tell if this XKR I'm planning on getting has it. Can anyone tell me? Is it as bad as some have said? I'm totally uninformed on this subject.

I posted this link to the listing:
Jaguar : XK | eBay#

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I don't see evidence of the adaptive cruise button, I think it is suppose to go in the blank next to the valet switch.

After closer examination, I wouldn't expect this beauty to be perfect, cosmetically. I can see some swirl marks in the flash areas on a coupe of the exterior pics, a good buffing and detailing may be required. Also, there's a hint of driver bolster wear on the seat, you can barely see it at the edge of the pics. And if that wheel shot is the best of the group, the others may have some light curb rash like this pics shows a couple spots...that kind of detail urks me...I hope its just this wheel. Let us know when it arrives...just keep reasonable expectations on an unseen purchase, ok?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
I don't see evidence of the adaptive cruise button, I think it is suppose to go in the blank next to the valet switch.

After closer examination, I wouldn't expect this beauty to be perfect, cosmetically. I can see some swirl marks in the flash areas on a coupe of the exterior pics, a good buffing and detailing may be required. Also, there's a hint of driver bolster wear on the seat, you can barely see it at the edge of the pics. And if that wheel shot is the best of the group, the others may have some light curb rash like this pics shows a couple spots...that kind of detail urks me...I hope its just this wheel. Let us know when it arrives...just keep reasonable expectations on an unseen purchase, ok?
That's a relief about the cruise. I've got WB looking at it later today, I'll get the report from him and let you know. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the adaptive cruise on my 2005. While it is significantly more 'comfortable' than a standard cruise control, you need to be careful. On a long motorway trip in the UK a couple of weeks ago, I needed to pull out into the fast lane, but there were quite a few cars evenly spaced. I pulled out in what I thought was the largest gap, but the cruise control detected I was too close to the car in front and slammed the brakes on. The guy in the car behind must have had a heart attack

Old 07-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
I have the adaptive cruise on my 2005. While it is significantly more 'comfortable' than a standard cruise control, you need to be careful. On a long motorway trip in the UK a couple of weeks ago, I needed to pull out into the fast lane, but there were quite a few cars evenly spaced. I pulled out in what I thought was the largest gap, but the cruise control detected I was too close to the car in front and slammed the brakes on. The guy in the car behind must have had a heart attack
Wow, that could have caused a serious accident. I can live without that kind of help. lol

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

It's still an option worth having, IMO. You just need to bear in mind its limitations. In the above incident, I should have cancelled it by blipping the brake pedal. I know now!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I really like adaptive cruise and never had a problem, just be aware when to use it, always disengage it when doing a maneuver otherwise you will have a Frog like issue!

There is no button to use the cruise control on later model cars, the adaptive cruise works by pushing the set button on the steering wheel and on the same side you can adust to gap between yourself and the car in front.

If you did have the extra button on the J gate it would be for ASL which is a button for numpties who don't know how fast they are going

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  19.3 KB

Tried the adaptive cruise control with the 2010 XKR I had a little while ago and it worked really well, I was very impressed with it.

As stated though, just like std cruise control it has its limitations and should really be over ridden when performing any manouevres.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I really like adaptive cruise and never had a problem, just be aware when to use it, always disengage it when doing a maneuver otherwise you will have a Frog like issue!

There is no button to use the cruise control on later model cars, the adaptive cruise works by pushing the set button on the steering wheel and on the same side you can adust to gap between yourself and the car in front.

If you did have the extra button on the J gate it would be for ASL which is a button for numpties who don't know how fast they are going
What is a J gate and ASL? Kind of new to all this. Do you think the adaptive cruise might indeed be on my '04 XKR?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Adaptive cruise comes with a Foward Alert Switch next to the valet switch.
I don't like adaptive, it's nearly killed me on a couple of occassions. But in traffic which has been slowed down due roadworks say it's great at keeping your distance from the car ahead.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the ACC on my 2005 XKR Coupe and have never had a problem with it. It works great and has saved me a couple times in foggy conditions when I could not see the car/truck ahead. However, like any electronic driving option you need to pay attention when it is engaged. After repeated use you become adept at using it to it's best advantage.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Is there any way to engage the normal cruise control and leave the adaptive part off?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Is there any way to engage the normal cruise control and leave the adaptive part off?
How I wish !

I guess Jaguar will never do this for fear of getting sued by people forgetting which mode they are in.
Lowest common denominator stuff

Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
How I wish !

I guess Jaguar will never do this for fear of getting sued by people forgetting which mode they are in.
Lowest common denominator stuff
I heard that! I don't think mine will have it, which I prefer based on what I'm reading.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Adaptive cruise is a PITA!!!!!!!! You'll never remember to turn it off for every passing maneuver and why should you have to? I know when and how to use regular cruise control without Jaguar's input. I hope someone will figure out how to defeat it.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Adaptive cruise is one of my favorite options! It is NOT an autopilot though. While making maneuvers of my own i turn it off, its only one button to turn back on. But someone cut me off while driving on the parkway and it slowed me down, it keeps up with people and when they get out of the way she speeds up! It blew my mind the first time i used it, and now i dont turn it on until i make my own way onto the highway and get myself set up in my lane. it likes to leave a larger following distance than anyone else, but i'd rather have too much than too little!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I personally passed up a lot of xkr's that did not have adaptive cruise. The one I bought has it and I love it. We have a lot of long straight roads in Nebraska and I can pretty much set it and forget about it.
Some jerk did cut very close in front of me once, and I have to say, I was a little startled at how much brake this thing can apply. That said, I will never go back to regular cruise control if I have a choice.
By the way, the coupe in the OP does not have it.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
I was a little startled at how much brake this thing can apply.
That sounds dangerous. If someone is following you closely, and someone else passes and pulls in front of you, the person behind you might not be expecting you to slam on the brakes just because someone pulled in front of you two car-lengths ahead.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Veteran member

It's no more dangerous than a normal cruise control. The danger lies in our total faith in it to do the driving for us. It can and will apply the brakes very firmly to avoid a head-on collision, but no more than a human foot would do when faced with the same situation.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 AM

Have to disagree with you Frog.
You have to be very alert on right hand bends in the UK and left hand in the US. It will slam the brakes on if it detects a vehicle in the inside lane.
It's great in traffic at slower speeds but I'm always ready to disengage it at normal speeds on the highway. So I can't relax with cruise engaged, which defeats the object of it!
If only it were possible to switch between adaptive and normal cruise, that would be perfect but it will never happen.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise?