XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive shocks?

Being relatively new to the forum, I apologize if this question has been answered a thousand times previously.

I have a 2005 XK8 with adaptive suspension. The right front shock is going bad, and I am planning to replace both sides while I am doing it.

I can find plenty of sources for the Bilstein shocks without adaptive suspension, but nothing for the adaptive system. Is this a dealer only part, or am I missing something?

Also, I am pretty sure I saw something on this forum a while back about putting non-adaptive shocks in instead of the adaptive ones, and just unhooking the wire at the top of the shocks. Has anybody done this, and how did you like the results?

Thanks, Rob

Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

You would have to change all the shocks and disconnect the module in the trunk

Old 10-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I did it to my 2001 XKR. The shocks and mounts were bad when I bought it w/75k miles. Clunking and bouncing tires. When I went over bumps at speed I thought there were basket ***** under the fenders.
$400 instead of $2000+ seemed like a good idea for a car with now over 100k on it.
Cheaper shocks are MUCH better than broken ones. Be sure to replace the front upper shock mounting pads and maybe the sway bar bushings.
front shock | Partsgeek.com
The car handles fine and I have no regerts.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
You would have to change all the shocks and disconnect the module in the trunk
If just changing front shocks and disconnecting the module, would that create a problem for the rear shock? What about connecting a resistor to the front plugs and leaving the module plugged in?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
If just changing front shocks and disconnecting the module, would that create a problem for the rear shock? What about connecting a resistor to the front plugs and leaving the module plugged in?

The xk8 handling already leaves something to be desired without adding in more unpredictability, I think this would be best avoided.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
The xk8 handling already leaves something to be desired without adding in more unpredictability, I think this would be best avoided.
+1 on the above comment. I just replaced the CATS module on my 2005 XKR after seriously considering going to standard shocks. I decided I wanted to keep the CATS active. When the time comes, I'll bite the bullet and cough up the cash for the shocks. It's a personal choice, under normal driving circumstances no downside to the standard setup.

IMHO you need to go one way or the other entirely. Don't mix CATS shocks on back with standard shocks on front. Don't try to trick the CATS system to use a mixed shock setup.

BTW, just disconnecting the CATS module defaults all four shocks to firm. Unplugging individual shocks at the shock will result in a suspension fault, which also will default all shocks to firm, but you'll have the suspension fault message and yellow light on your display.

Best Regards, Fred

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (10-02-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
Which is why I said change all the shocks....... People have tried resistors with not a lot of success, without the module with CATS suspension they go to the hard setting by default....

Change them all, CATS is rubbish at the best of times and damn expensive

Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I just (@105k) replaced all of my CATS shocks with the standard ones, disconnecting the module in the trunk. Drives a lot better now, although I still am battling with some shakiness on bad roads. Replaced almost all suspension bushings and mounts as well. Still haven't done the upper wishbone mounts, because they look quite alright.

Any idea on what to do to battle some shakiness in a convertible? Subframe mounts? Stiffening of chassis? Roll cage?

Old 10-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Not a lot you can do about scuttle shake..... Jaguar was rubbish at convertible design, they nearly always produced a coupe and then chopped the roof off and added "siffening" to the chassis which never worked...... The reason being is producing coupes is cheaper than verts and once the money starts coming in they will do the conversion...

At least and lets hope with the F Type they did it around the correct way and simply added a roof to an already stiff shell........

A little unknown fact (going off on a slight tangent) the Toyota MR2 (MK2) was originally designed as a convertible but the Japanese decided to add the roof later and never produced the convertible but just a targa top...... This means you can chop the roof completely off and it makes no difference to the handling of the car