Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NeedToysNow

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NeedToysNow

Good afternoon ,
New to the forums and recently retired. Currently own low mileage 944. I was a former owner of a '67 E-Type and am looking at a 2003 XK8 (same colors as old E) that is low mileage (22,500+-) and appears show room new. Ask is @23,000, is that way out of line?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Yes, low mileage has it's good and bad. A 03 XK8 that has not been driven is still 12 years old and these cars are not known for the rubber, plastic parts to hold up well over time. Also with that low mileage the normal wear and tear items have not been replaced or repaired. You will need to budget at least $1K for maintenance items to be sure everything is up to snuff. With the low mileage the motor, trans and suspension should be OK but the rubber parts in the front end will likely good out quickly.
With that mileage I'd say $13 to $15 K is more reasonable if all is good with the car.

I bought a 03 six months ago for $11K in great condition with 86K on it. Put $1500 in maintenance/repairs doing the work myself and now have a like new car for a total of $12,500.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Thanks Jandreu, I have some experience with low mileage cars as my 944 had 16,000 on the clock at 23 years. needed seals tires etc. Are you suggesting that low miles should not demand a premium or that a higher mileage car is a better option? I do not intend to keep it prisoner under cover in the garage.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

It goes both ways, if I had the choice I'd buy the low mileage car and be prepared to do the maintenance/repairs. But the low mileage does not equal the high premium in price with an XK8 that some think it should. Your seller is asking about 10K over normal price for an 03.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The car you are looking at sounds like a good car. Do check carfax etc. Do not trust the mileage in the cluster. Low mile cluster replacement equals low mile car.
Do buy the car with an agressive offer, 4.2 L 2003 have most of the engine problems already resolvedvis a vis 4.0L engines.

You will not have to deal with timing belt issues like you will with the 944and all of the special tools required.

Rubber and other parts are relatively cheap to purchase and not to difficult to replace as DIY.

If you are not able to do some light mechanical work then this car may not be for you. Else a good fat check book to keep dealer fed is in order.

Fuel pump will probably be the biggest risk on such a low mile car. They rust in low gas tank. Still not a biggie $100 plus sweat.

Once you have resolved the basic issues, all known and fixed with instructions here at the jaguar forum, this car is not expensive to own and it will turn heads for years to come.
Enjoy!
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

The key to a Jaguar xk8 is garage, garage, garage. I'd expect from your description this low mileage baby has been pampered.
That was my thought when I bought what I thought to be a low miles 1999 XK8 with 50k. Bought her right. any money spent thus far was to replace the know items before they break. I'd pay a bit more for a true low mile vehicle. After all, its only money... If it makes you feel good do it. I know my Jag makes me feel great. Rich

Old 10-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default XKR recomended in that range.

For 23K you can step up a year or two and buy a low mileage XKR loaded with extra features. I bought my 04 KXR last spring with 14K miles that had been kept in the owners office winters since new. truly exceptional example. It has quite a few options including Recaro Seating, Drilled Brembo Brakes with Red Covers, 20" BBs Detroit Wheels, Adaptive Headlight Brand new Conenental Contact Extreme tires plus all the standard XKR amenities. The car has zero fading, zero scraches or chips, smells new, drives like new. I drove it all summer without putting a Nickel into it. Total Cost $25K.

If your willing to spend $23K I would suggest puting it into and XKR. More fun, less depreciation in my opinion. Also I would sugest that you pony up a few extra $ and stay away from any apparent bargain 2002 and under cars. They look pretty but have a few serious potential Engine failures. Cruise the forum and look at past posts, it will help you make a good descision.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I am not looking to spend more than necessary to purchase a good example. I have been looking at both XK8s and XKRs and yes the R certainly is an attractive option. Was tempted by a 2000 R but decided the 4.0Ls have too many potential issues. 2003 or later for sure.