XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding bluetooth to a HK audio system

Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding bluetooth to a HK audio system

Hi Guys

been reading around this, a bit confused to be honest!

Is there a way to add bluetooth to the audio head in the X100 with harmann kardon system, and cd changer at the back?

looking to avoid having a separate control box to be glued at dashboard. I am ok to control everything from the phone, just want to stream music and potentially take calls.

I guess the least intrusive is to cut the cd changer cable and solder on the audio terminals of a BT box, but its a bit involved.. not sure a connector under the armrest can be reused?

anybody with a good recommendation?

thanks!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I bought and installed a JagCD HF after reading about it from one of us on this forum. Love it, works great, very good customer service.

it works off the CD selection on the radio. Once the CD mode is selected, It allows you to choose either Bluetooth or CD input via a tiny switch that you mount somewhere convenient.

of course in Bluetooth you get hands free phone and or any streaming service you choose.

John

Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Hi John .yeah looked at that box but seems sold out :-(

Trying a tranzit box which plugs in via aerial connector and modulates audio as FM signal.

We'll see!

Thanks

Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Drizzly, sorry to hear that. I've been an advocate of the jag cd hf so I wrote them and asked. Unfortunately I just got a politically correct reply indicating they can still be ordered but that will get you on a list for when they get more [wtf?].

I hope you find something just as good or better mate. John

Old 08-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Drizzly, sorry to hear that. I've been an advocate of the jag cd hf so I wrote them and asked. Unfortunately I just got a politically correct reply indicating they can still be ordered but that will get you on a list for when they get more [wtf?].

I hope you find something just as good or better mate. John
Thanks so much for checking John! Appreciated! Will let you know how I get on with the other box, which I agree, not as elegant as your solution .

Cheers!

Last edited by dizzly; 08-25-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm no expert, so just contributing what I **think** to be true !!

The early Harmon Karden system differs from the later Alpine kit in so far as the CD changer is connected directly to the head unit. In the Alpine system, the CD changer is connected to the head unit in the "standard" set-up, but to the amplifier in the "premium" system. That's the good news, because irrespective of whether you have "standard" or "premium", you can easily add an "auxiliary input" which fools the car into thinking it is still playing a CD. It even uses standard 8-pin DIN connectors which are easily available and there's no Alpine Ai digital "interface" to make things more complicated.
It is equally straightforward to make this "aux-in" into a Bluetooth input.

The bad news is that this will only work when CD is selected - not if Radio, Cassette (as if ??) are selected, or the head unit is switched off.

So, if you want to stream from a Bluetooth device which also makes and takes phone calls, it's a fairly straightforward option -( you may need to think about where to put a microphone) . If you want to make or take calls via a Bluetooth hands-free device whilst listening to the radio, life gets much more complicated !!