XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adios Mi Amigos!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Adios Mi Amigos!

Ok Thanks for all replies. I seemed to have two different problems at the same time, one the gearbox linear switch causing failsafe warning and not being able to get out of park.

The second problem the stalling engine was due to ECM and TCM that had bad circuitry and welds.

Sent them in for rehab, they replaced many capacitors that were leaking, they baked the board and did other soldier flowing and welds by hand to the TCM- transmission module and same to the ECM engine control module . And VIOLA no more problems with the aging gal 2001 XKR.

Everything is good now drives very smooth and now even gets much better MPG between 5 and 6 more MPG's. 17/ city 24/ highway.

Here's the story coming to an end

I have had the gal for 15 almost 16 years, I am now going to buy a 2014 F-type V8 S in black and white in the next 2 days. I really thought I was going to opt for a newer XK-R and stay 2006 or older I love the body style, I thought I would appreciate but then I got to thinking about new technologies in my car so then I went for the XK - R model 2011 and went and test drove it don't care for the big bulky look and feel.
Did not like it, it was like driving a tank albeit a fast one, but really like a sedan like driving my wife's XJ8.

So now being even more confused than ever went to the local dealer and talked about the F-type, looked and test drove one V8 S and was quite impressed, it was personal and felt good more like my beautiful XKR.

I decided to buy one, went hunting online and found my new Jaguar, could not swallow the tax paid for buying from dealer so went private. Good deal beautiful car . Black and White still has 1 1/2 years of factory warranty. 495 HP, while i'm not a racer i appreciate the extra power when needed or desired and the new technologies are wonderful. I will post soon with pictures and info. Picking up wed. Very excited and at same time very melancholy about the 2001 xkr. I have learned so much and done a lot of useful mods over the years. Time to move on but with great respect for the older XKR's and their natural beauty.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Sorry to see you go, but glad you aren’t going too far. 😀

Congrats and enjoy the new cat!

Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Good to hear you got the issues fixed. Wishing you a further 15 years enjoyment from the F-Type.

Graham

Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Congratulations Mitchell, enjoy the new car.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Enjoy! Hope you have as much fun with the new one as you did with your XKR....

Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Congratulations on a smart decision. I have been thinking about doing the same, looking for a good used F-type. You didn't mention what you are going to do with your XKR. I plan on keeping my XK8, regardless.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Good to hear you got the issues fixed. Wishing you a further 15 years enjoyment from the F-Type.

Graham
My sentiments, exactly. Good luck with your new Jag!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM

This beautiful 2001 XKR
is now available in the classifieds of this forum and auto Trader id # 104432297.

You can look at more pics. and read about all the mods done to car.

Just had ecm and tcm rebuilt. runs beautifully.

If you know anyone wanting to jump, now is the time.

Thanks to for your past help. great forum, i am now in the f-type forum.
Kind regards, Drive careful.
Mitchell

Attached Thumbnails Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn2955.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn2062.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn3166.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-iphone-pics-015.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn3163.jpg  

GGG (01-13-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM

This beautiful car needs a new home. and a bump! :-)

Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I looked at your ad after we lost our XKR and I was in the market. I have no doubt this is a great condition car, but if I may offer some constructive criticism.

Return the original nose badge. The leaper bust is not for everyone. The car is already a outlier in color. Is the interior an original two-tone? Again, the color scheme may not be to everyone's taste with the chrome wheels. Also, I think given the miles, that is a very optimistic price.

Best of luck.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 PM

Thank you for your feedback it is appreciated, i have removed the "leaper Bust" because it is a work of art for my new F-type ( installed) and replaced it with a new OEM jaguar badge 176.00 in it's place, now that is stupid exorbitant price, it is just plastic!.

The interior is two tone cashmere and sable in the same oem pattern with center aeration holes and higher quality leather than OEM.

What does the two tone leather interior have to do with the chrome wheels?

The miles means it has been driven and the invoices show that it has been cared for and it has not been abused on a yearly mileage basis, less than 7K consistent miles per year.

Buy a 2001 or any older more beautiful XKR with very low mileage and i'll show you a car that is about to have many problems! Seals dry out and cause multiple problems with transmission, gaskets, pumps, A/C, racks, rubber dry out, crack and become become brittle, leather dries and crack, material fades and dries out, canvas and vinyl dry out and become brittle.
Shall i go on?

When a car is drive it is taken care of, Pride of ownership takes over, when it has low mileage it has been forgotten and neglected, not really cared for!

Just my opinion and i respect yours and thank you for it. Truely!
Makes me appreciate my XKR even more.
Thanks,
Mitchell

Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

You'll miss the trunk and watch out for cold weather as those tires need heat to stick. But OMG the power... Our F-Type V8 S always puts a huge smile on my face. Just be careful, there is a reason why their is a reason why the 2 wheel drive V8s aren't made anymore. They redefine over steer. They are also a ton of fun.

vettegood (01-25-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 PM

This beautiful 2001 XKR has been reduced in price to $11995.00
this is a highly upgraded and updated XKR in beautiful condition
Quote:

Major upgrade radio system, OEM Wind Screen, Color Sanded and detailed W/ Crystal Serum Ultra and 2 coat XO , SunTek Ultra clear bra, Oem Dead Pedal, Mods4Cars SmartTOP module, WindRestrictor etched and lighted (white light), Jaguar door puddle lights.

2001 XKR Convertible - Roman Bronze (only Year), 114K,

2004 XJ8 - Champagne with 20" Sepang Wheels (The wife's car)
Happy Motoring ...

Attached Thumbnails Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn2955.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn3166.jpg   Adios Mi Amigos!-dscn2062.jpg  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

This is obviously a great car that has many years of enjoyable ownership still to come.

It is my second favorite color (bought my favorite). Wish they had offered it more years but now I think that is in your favor.

A few thoughts/suggestions that might help the sale along....
  • Spend $75 and put a new set of Neutral color Lloyd's ultimats in it. New floor mats will make the car feel "less used" to a potential buyer.
  • Remove the non-standard badges on the sides. It's a personal taste thing that doesn't help you when shoppers are comparing your car to others.
  • Return the dash wood to original color to match the steering wheel. That is a big red flag that would turn off a lot of shoppers. Makes the car look messed with a bit more than most could accept.
  • Take more pics! A shopper would want to see more detail and variety. More pics can help you convince someone they want it.
  • When you take pics make sure that nothing in a pic will create questions/concerns. (Ex. the not retracted seat belt makes it look like a potential expense)
  • Consider removing the rear windscreen for pics. While it is functional it is not adding to the beauty of the car.

Be prepared to explain why the convertible top sticks up so far when collapsed. Its noticeably different than the average height. A savvy shopper from this site (like me) would key on that quickly and wonder what's up.

A little time/effort/expense like I described will help you get it sold.

I know you will have fun in the new F-Type. Bet you will miss this XKR on occasion too.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Hello Rothwell, i do really thank you for the time you spent in helping me market my XKR for sale. your remarks are very thoughtful and intuitive. i understand your thoughts but a gave you a few or mine to ponder! my point being why remove something that could be of value before someone sees it , maybe that would actually help set the car apart from others and the prospective buyer would like that and if not they can change or remove as they see fit. even if someone does not like , they should be creative enough to consider alternatives. i don't think these are big deal breakers. my remarks for people liking come from years of friends and admirers over time making comments more for, than against, yes some don't like! imagine that :-) !
Your comments are well taken and i thank you.

Originally Posted by rothwell
This is obviously a great car that has many years of enjoyable ownership still to come.

It is my second favorite color (bought my favorite). Wish they had offered it more years but now I think that is in your favor.

A few thoughts/suggestions that might help the sale along....
  • Spend $75 and put a new set of Neutral color Lloyd's ultimats in it. New floor mats will make the car feel "less used" to a potential buyer.
    these custom mats are very nice and good condition, if the buyer does not like them they can remove, most have said they like them in person. I really enjoy them they make the car very warm and comfy inside made for the XKR , so perfect fit.
  • Remove the non-standard badges on the sides. It's a personal taste thing that doesn't help you when shoppers are comparing your car to others.

Again personal taste most like and enjoy the badges that have been put on, if they don't like i can remove or they can. why remove when someone might enjoy!
  • Return the dash wood to original color to match the steering wheel. That is a big red flag that would turn off a lot of shoppers. Makes the car look messed with a bit more than most could accept.

The dash is new and does match the steering wheel maple birdseye in driftwood , it also is a better match for the car color and the interior color they were refinished by a high end co. in california, can't remember their name madrid or something but high end. i do have the original veneers in walnut, expect to see for sale soon.
  • Take more pics! A shopper would want to see more detail and variety. More pics can help you convince someone they want it.

i have the car on ebay and auto trader, many more pictures and more description. was not really thinking this thread was for selling XKR, just a reminder i was leaving the XKR thread and why. ADIOS Mi AMIGO
  • When you take pics make sure that nothing in a pic will create questions/concerns. (Ex. the not retracted seat belt makes it look like a potential expense)
    did not notice sorry not a pro photo guy.Sorry, nothing wrong with seatbelt maybe a bit tired! if buyer wanted more i could supply. Thanks
  • Consider removing the rear windscreen for pics. While it is functional it is not adding to the beauty of the car.
understood, but would not think a deal breaker. if it was, they probably were tire kickers !

Be prepared to explain why the convertible top sticks up so far when collapsed. Its noticeably different than the average height. A savvy shopper from this site (like me) would key on that quickly and wonder what's up.

the custom top cover is made of canvas and is being puffed up with rigid plastic panels and specially designed and cut, dense foam pieces underneath, stops the fluttering and any noise and the cover is filled out no sagging of material. looks way more upgraded than vinyl. This is exactly what i wanted when i designed and manufactured the top tonneau cover IMHO
[/COLOR]
A little time/effort/expense like I described will help you get it sold.
i have turned down 2 offers already and have 2 people interested locally with appointments this week end, keep you fingers crossed for me.:-)

I know you will have fun in the new F-Type. Bet you will miss this XKR on occasion too.
especially the trunk space and less wind and sound in the cabin with top down, won't miss the antenna noise though!
This car has been truly beautiful for me and has given many miles of enjoyment and fun, i will miss her big time ;-(.

Again Rothwell thank you for your critique, i will keep all your suggestions in mind should the car not sell.
If you are interested in car i can send you more pictures if you like :-)
Kind regards, Mitchell

Last edited by vettegood; 02-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.