XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Exhaust

Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust

Hey everyone,
I want to upgrade exhaust on a 2001 XKR. I am not sure where I even want to start. I only want bolt on exhaust. Since I want to go back to stock very easily if I have too. I want to bring out the real growl of the v8 while still sounding European. Let me know if anyone has any thought or what they have done with there cars.
Thanks for your response in advance.
Mike

Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default exhaust aftermarket

I have a 2006 XKR that used I a Mina system on. It completely installed without damaging anything. It is stainless steel and eliminates the resonators. This exhaust went under the axles instead of over to improve the flow. The pipes fit real close to the rear axle at the pivot points and I have never drug them. I had to do a little modification to the very rear muffler mounts but that's all.

You just unbolt the clamps right behind the converter so the old system remains in tack and can be reinstalled. The sound! I liked it as it did not make the exhaust much louder but changed the tone to a nice throaty sound. The cost was about $800.00.

www.minagallery.com

Good Luck

Bob

Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i have adamesh over rear axle pipes and removal of rear mufflers and the sound is just perfecct,so east to do and with 4" chrome tips its not too over the top

Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I have recently driven in a XKR which had 2 variable valves fitted just before the rear resonator. In the car you could control each valve independently to suit your requirements, i.e. going from obnoxious loud (both valves fully open) to very nice growl with only 1 valve fully open, and obvioulsy anything in between.

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
azureyes (04-25-2014), weisberg (06-07-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I think Avos is referring to electrically-driven exhaust "cut outs". They are available from several vendors like Summit Racing and Jegs (American). They are not cheap, but are still cheaper than many aftermarket exhaust systems.
I had exhaust cutouts back in the 1950s. They were manual and leaked. I hope and trust that current cut outs are reliable and do not leak, but do check around before you buy.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 446 Likes on 332 Posts

What I did to my XJR:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ll-pics-72079/

Electric exhaust cut outs, perfect!
Vector

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Exhaust-10-motors.jpg  

Last edited by Vector; 06-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Vector - that has to be the best photo gallery of an install in the history of this forum.

Well done!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 672 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Exhaust Adventure

I started with the Mina gallery rear muffler delete and car sounded great so following the more must be better rule (stupid rule) I took out the center muffler and replaced it with a flowmaster, car sounded like a hot chevy (not the sound I was looking for), took out the flowmaster and replaced it with an X-pipe now the car sounded mean but at full throttle it would scare kids. So bought the rear mufflers from the Mina kit and the car got too quiet. Took out the resonators and got decent sound again but wanted it to be loud sometime so put on electric exhaust cutouts. Had some electrical issues with them but once sorted it was kind of cool. However then I put on Nameless cats and the result would raise the dead, turning on the cut-outs made the car, well what's louder than "raise the dead?" So took off the cut-outs and put on magna flow resonators. Car sounds just about right now but I'm not happy with the backpressure so have a MacLeod building a 2.5" cat back system for me. Likely where I should have started but it took me a while to run down MacLeod. Hoping to have that on by the end of next week. Were I to start over I'd do the Mina thing and call it a day or go the full cat back route the rest was a waste of money if you are focused on sound. Though the Nameless cats did give me a nice bump in performance. I'll post the full results of the exhaust and intake change once I have that all sorted next week.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by edtexas
Vector - that has to be the best photo gallery of an install in the history of this forum.
Well done!
Thanks!

The total cost for the set up was $400 for the cut outs and about 4 hours labor to install.

I can duplicate just about any exhaust sound by varying the opening of the cut outs. I installed a momentary contact toggle switch to control the butterflies and I can play them like an instrument.

Closed they sound like my stock, civilized, luxury car.

Open them just a little and it sounds like a center or back muffler delete, a bit more and you have a more aggressive cat back sound, more and it gets throaty and sounds a lot like my 67 GTO I had when I was a kid, wide open and it sounds like a race car and shakes the seats!

It has a lovely burble at trailing throttle too. You can really hear the V8.

For cost, no drone at highway speeds and the variety of sounds you can get, I think the cut outs are hard to beat.

Mine came with a 4 year warranty from DMH and other than having to run a bead of weld around one of the stock seams, the quality was very good. Performance and durability have been great. I have had them installed for a little over a year now and use them almost every time I drive. They still seal up completely and function flawlessly.
Vector

Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rjbaldwin51
I have a 2006 XKR that used I a Mina system on. It completely installed without damaging anything. It is stainless steel and eliminates the resonators. This exhaust went under the axles instead of over to improve the flow. The pipes fit real close to the rear axle at the pivot points and I have never drug them. I had to do a little modification to the very rear muffler mounts but that's all.

You just unbolt the clamps right behind the converter so the old system remains in tack and can be reinstalled. The sound! I liked it as it did not make the exhaust much louder but changed the tone to a nice throaty sound. The cost was about $800.00.

www.minagallery.com

Good Luck

Bob
I have the same, easy to install and nice sound

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vector
Thanks!

The total cost for the set up was $400 for the cut outs and about 4 hours labor to install.

I can duplicate just about any exhaust sound by varying the opening of the cut outs. I installed a momentary contact toggle switch to control the butterflies and I can play them like an instrument.

Closed they sound like my stock, civilized, luxury car.

Open them just a little and it sounds like a center or back muffler delete, a bit more and you have a more aggressive cat back sound, more and it gets throaty and sounds a lot like my 67 GTO I had when I was a kid, wide open and it sounds like a race car and shakes the seats!

It has a lovely burble at trailing throttle too. You can really hear the V8.

For cost, no drone at highway speeds and the variety of sounds you can get, I think the cut outs are hard to beat.

Mine came with a 4 year warranty from DMH and other than having to run a bead of weld around one of the stock seams, the quality was very good. Performance and durability have been great. I have had them installed for a little over a year now and use them almost every time I drive. They still seal up completely and function flawlessly.
Vector
Do you have a link to where you bought your system? How much modifications did you have to do? I am dealing with a almost brand new 01 xkr. So I don't want to do heavy modifications but your system sure does sound interesting.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I started with the Mina gallery rear muffler delete and car sounded great so following the more must be better rule (stupid rule) I took out the center muffler and replaced it with a flowmaster, car sounded like a hot chevy (not the sound I was looking for), took out the flowmaster and replaced it with an X-pipe now the car sounded mean but at full throttle it would scare kids. So bought the rear mufflers from the Mina kit and the car got too quiet. Took out the resonators and got decent sound again but wanted it to be loud sometime so put on electric exhaust cutouts. Had some electrical issues with them but once sorted it was kind of cool. However then I put on Nameless cats and the result would raise the dead, turning on the cut-outs made the car, well what's louder than "raise the dead?" So took off the cut-outs and put on magna flow resonators. Car sounds just about right now but I'm not happy with the backpressure so have a MacLeod building a 2.5" cat back system for me. Likely where I should have started but it took me a while to run down MacLeod. Hoping to have that on by the end of next week. Were I to start over I'd do the Mina thing and call it a day or go the full cat back route the rest was a waste of money if you are focused on sound. Though the Nameless cats did give me a nice bump in performance. I'll post the full results of the exhaust and intake change once I have that all sorted next week.
Thanks for the reply. How did you like the rear muffler delete? I was looking at that a few days ago. How loud is te car with just that on? Does it sound European or more NASCAR haha. Do you remember if it was a bolt on exhaust? Since I don't want to do heavy modifications since I am dealing with a almost new 01 xkr and want to go back to stock easily.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Do you have a link to where you bought your system? How much modifications did you have to do? I am dealing with a almost brand new 01 xkr. So I don't want to do heavy modifications but your system sure does sound interesting.
Here: Welcome to DMH Performance!

You want the low profile oval ones. You may have to ask for them to be done in a special production run, I don't see them on their web site now.

Take a good look at the photos in the installation post and you can judge for yourself. The mods weren't "heavy." But we did have to do some welding and fabrication.
Vector

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Default rear muffler delete

Thanks for the reply. How did you like the rear muffler delete? I was looking at that a few days ago. How loud is te car with just that on? Does it sound European or more NASCAR haha. Do you remember if it was a bolt on exhaust? Since I don't want to do heavy modifications since I am dealing with a almost new 01 xkr and want to go back to stock easily.
Thanks
I think it sounded great, not a ton of additional sound. Second Jag I'd done it to. Really easy and relatively cheap mod.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
I think it sounded great, not a ton of additional sound. Second Jag I'd done it to. Really easy and relatively cheap mod.
So it is not too much louder? I was expecting it to sound a lot louder. Does it bring out the v8 sound more?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had the Mina for nearly 10k miles already... I also have the NP cats, replaced my stock center muffler with a Borla. The volume of the Mina has grown considerably... probably due to the wadding being overburdened with soot. My vehicle is now almost too loud. The exhaust still sounds awesome though.

Here's the old video, this was done shortly after I completed my exhaust... it sounds a lot more subdued than it does now. I'll try to get a new video of me accelerating so you can hear it now.

The following 2 users liked this post by xenophobe:
Blue XK (06-07-2013), edtexas (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Default More sound

So it is not too much louder? I was expecting it to sound a lot louder. Does it bring out the v8 sound more?
Yes it does but it doesn't get annoying like removing the center muffler did after doing the muffler delete nor did it sound like a Chevy. It was really amazing how much you got by just removing those rear mufflers. I believe Ademesh did the kit first but Mina's is actually better and they are local.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Xeno - Now that sounds grrreat!

... Ed.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Like Rob I had the center deleted and then did the rears with 4" SS tips. This weekend I'm having dual 16" glasspacks put in the center position and will move the "H" crossover closer to the cats. With almost straight pipes you get a phenomenal sound on acceleration but, the drone (constant sound) is too much. I'll post the new versus old sound on Sunday after the job is done.
Dave

Last edited by DaveC; 06-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's where I am now with the exhaust mods.

The Glasspacks take some of the raspyness out of the sound and knocked down the drone so it is barely noticable. Thanks to Rob at Xtreme Xhaust in Fairfield, CA ? 1122 Western St. #28 Fairfield, CA 94533 (707)688-8308

Before and after pictures

Aftermarket Exhaust-img_0429.jpg

Aftermarket Exhaust-img_0431.jpg

Last edited by DaveC; 06-09-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: more info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust