XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air con issue, compressor or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air con issue, compressor or clutch?

Hi

Well.. it got sunny here in England.. and of course.. I wanted to use my air con... it worked for a bit!!! Then I turned it off as I hadn't used the car for a while and was checking functions and seeing how quick the air con would come back on cold...

When it was off it sounded like something was scraping really badly.. very grating sound.. like I had something dragging on the ground.. as soon as I switched the air con back on, it went... but no cold air now.. looks like something difficult to get and and expensive has just happened!!!!

Any clues? Hep would be much appreciated...

Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 AM

so, having looked at the compressor with the engine running, it looks like the pulley is wobbling about a little.. looks to me then that the bearing at least has failed. Thats not so bad as can pull that off to inspect and replace but does anyone have any thoughts on the clutch? The coil seems to be working fine as when you turn the air con on, it tightens up the pulley so that it wobbles less...

It seems interesting that you can get many replacement parts for the compressor... bearing, pulley etc in the US but in the UK seems you have to replace the whole unit.. can't find any source for parts!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 AM

me again, so, just checked out the unit, as I'm working from home today... it seems that the outer of the pulley has become detached from the inner section that has the bolt attached to the compressor itself... there seems to be a rubber layer between the two that has completely disintegrated.. I can turn the inner section so I'm hoping that the compressor is ok? I think the clutch is ok too... so...

Does anyone know where I can get a new pulley for the A/C unit? Its a 1999 XKR...

Thanks inn advance.. and hope this gets read, didn't seem like the post was being read...

Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Even from the far side of the world, some of us are still around . . . however, do keep in mind this forum is largely attended by voluntary members like yourself, not paid employees in call centres.

Now that you have inspected the car, know what has failed etc . . . why not use resources the EPC for your model/year (then VIN) and contact Forum Sponsors for quote on parts?

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Can't help with specifics, but you are on the right track. The hard part is to remove the bearing. It is a (gentle) press fit on the compressor body. A normal mechanic's puller should do. Once off, I would recommend you change the magnet as well, as it is located behind the bearing. If you are able to locate a bearing, it is typically not much more expensive to get a kit with the clutch disk, magnet and bearing. This approach makes sense if you are able to do this without removing the AC lines (just swap parts, and no AC service).

FWIW, if the compressor has to come off the car completely (AC lines depressurised), and you have to pay for an AC service afterwards anyway, then you might be better off with a quality rebuilt unit.

Best bet is to identify the compressor brand/type, and search from there (eBay, etc.). I have serviced "sanden" brands (VW), on the car, without removing the refrigerant lines. Are Jaguar compressors DENSO?

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 AM

Hi fmertz

Thank you for your help.. most useful.............. I'm very surprised at the cost of the compressor over here as opposed to the US.. they are about half the price over there, plus there are repair kits and pulley options. Its impossible just to find the pulley over here.
So, it looks like the pulley is in two parts, the outer section has delaminated from the inner portion. It has definitely got to be a new or second hand pulley... I may consider just getting a cheap one from a breakers and making the best of what I can if I cannot find the parts. The option of 600 gap for a compressor is daunting to say the least...

Thanks