XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag SRS Fault Code 17 - Pass spatial sensor CAN fault Xk8 2001 UK coupe - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag SRS Fault Code 17 - Pass spatial sensor CAN fault Xk8 2001 UK coupe - RESOLVED

Hi,

I hope someone with a bit more technical knowledge than me can point me in the right direction to sort out the following :

I have a Pass spatial sensor CAN fault, code 17 ! Airbag warning fault light remains on after 1 flash then 7 consective flashes, repeating 3 times then steady!

Have seen various threads on the site, especially the in depth thread by GGG regarding this fault, however, can someone please clarify :

1. Correct fuse rating (amp) for the airbag srs system.

My manual says location 10 - Fascia fusebox - driver's side "5" Amp fuse !

Have checked the vehicle, it has a protected yellow cap over a "10" Amp fuse !! Confused ? I am...

What should be the correct fuse Amp ?

I have taken it to my local garage (not Jag) who advise it maybe a fault witin the passenger seat. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get the DTC codes, as they did a free check for me, so working in the dark!

Have removed the passenger seat, checked all connections etc.. can't seem to find anything out of place ?

Removed and checked the connections of the Center Headliner Two Occupancy Positioning sensing sensors.

Still to check the "A" pillar Occupancy Positioning sensing sensor, not sure if this often fails ???

If anybody can suggest any other simple fixes for someone with a little technical knowledge, it would be very much appreciated.

Otherwise i'll have to hand over to my local garage in the hope they can trace the fault.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Last edited by GGG; 10-16-2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 AM

Just a quick update, confirmed 10 amp fuse is correct fuse and have checked it, it hasn't blown..so think ill be busy fault finding for a while!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Best of luck - Let us know if you find it....

Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The fixed 'A' Pillar, 'B' Pillar and Overhead Console sensors seem pretty robust with few reports of failures.

Although Flash Code 17 can be a sensor or harness fault, it can also be a calibration or communications fault. Only the combined DTC and PID can distinguish between these.

If it is calibration or communications, clearing the fault code and recycling the ignition will extinguish the warning light. Got to be a good place to start ........

Graham

Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Hi GGG, thanks for the heads up and your informative thread on the site..will check out the codes and go from there...will let you know what I find...cheers rob

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been intermittently chasing a similar problem with my '04 XJR for over a year now. The problem started after I had a new headliner installed. I have done a few things to isolate the problem, some of which you may find helpful.

1. Some time ago I posted that with the use of a paper-towel roll and a quiet location, you can hear the transducers clicking. This confirms that they are being powered by the Occupancy Sensing Module (OSM). It turns out there is an even easier way to establish this. Just put your smart phone on Voice Memo, start recording, and hold the phone next to each transducer. You can then playback the sounds and even monitor the signal blips on the screen.

2. I went one step further and purchased a bat sensor that detects ultrasonic signals ($40 on Amazon). When I turned on the ignition, it sounded like there were dozens of bats in the car! However, by covering all fours sensors with foam and tape, and then removing same from the sensors one at a time, I verified that all are sending out signals.

3. At the suggestion of another poster, I pulled the OSM and looked at the PCB. I could find no sign of electrical damage or short. The one thing I did find is that someone had been under the seat before me, as one of the smaller connectors in the area was broken and being held together with zip ties. I have no record of the dealer doing any work on the seat and wonder if the upholstery shop had to remove the seat to do the headliner and broke the connector.

4. I have read the codes with my Autoenginuity. Unfortunately, it does not provide details beyond the generic DTC, i.e., it doesn't say which sensor is bad or if it is a communication fault. Even a quick scan by the dealer didn't uncover the problem, but I am unwilling to pay them to chase the problem further.

I'll be curious to hear how you fare.

Dan

Old 09-16-2014, 03:17 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Dan.....interesting fault!! Looking at the drawings there is only one connection between the
OSSU & RCM, I agree in that it appears all your ping sensors are working, the SDD software should give you a DTC & PID code....it's the PID code you need to tell you what sensor it cannot talk to. In addition to the 3 ping sensors, it can also be the passenger weight sensor or passenger weight xducer not talking to the OSSU. You mentioned a broken connector under the seat.....was this under the passenger seat? Did somebody "pop" the weight sensor/xducer when they damaged it? Have you no way of getting to somebody with SDD software that can tell you the PID code attached to the DTC?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Trevor:

I was able to read the B2291 DTC associated with flash code 17 with my AE, but it will not read the PIDs, as confirmed via e-mail correspondence with AE. Even the dealer claimed he could not read the PIDs since "this is an early model of the XJR". Others have posted that the dealer is not reading the reader correctly. Note that no other codes are currently being thrown and the Passenger Seat Weight Pressure Sensor appears to be working properly, i.e., the airbag dash warning light comes on when I set a heavy briefcase in the seat. I have also performed other tests to confirm that it is working properly. So it would appear that (1) the four spatial sensors are powered and sending out signals, (2) the Passenger Seat Weight Sensing Module is functioning property, and (3) the sensors and module are communicating with the Restraints Control Module (RCM). I guess an unanswered question is whether all of the spatial sensors are receiving their pings and reporting the data properly to the OSM and the OSM is properly reporting them to the RCM.

I discovered the broken connector under the seat when I started getting flash codes 23 (B2295, Passenger Side Impact Airbag - Low Resistance on Deployment Control) and 34 (B2292, Passenger Seat Belt Pretensioner - Short to Ground) along with the existing flash code 17. A check of the electrical diagram showed that both signals passed through connector SP16, which led me to the gray, 4-way connector under the seat that had become loose. Once I more effectively re-secured the connection, the 23 and 34 flash codes stopped.

Thus, for the moment, I continue to be stumped. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, waiting 30 minutes and touching the + and - cables together. Perhaps this will help, although I am doubtful since AE will clear the code, but it immediately returns when the key is turned on. The comments of others and my experience with flash codes 23 and 34 lead me to believe that the flash code 17 will clear and stay cleared once I find the source of the problem.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Airbag SRS Fault Code 17 - Pass spatial sensor CAN fault Xk8 2001 UK coupe - RESOLVED-img_0013.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Best of luck. It is indeed extremely frustrating chasing these intermittent airbag codes. It's been nearly two years since I was chasing the airbag code 17 in my wife's XK8. One night while we were driving home after dinner at a local restaurant in late September 2012 the flashing code 17 magically disappeared and has not returned. That was after I had detached, cleaned, and reattached the under-seat electrical connectors a week or so before. Your guess is as good as mine....

Old 09-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Hmmmm!! It can only be one of 2 things...the OSSU or the RCM is faulty, my guess would be the OSSU. This being the easier of the 2 to change as it does not require a re-flash, the RCM on the other may require a re-flash if it's not from your car and somebody else's, I am fairly sure SDD will ask for a suffix number before it dumps the programme in.
I picked up a second hand OSSU from flea bay for $40, it would appear your search avenue has come to an end and it's just a matter of swapping out the parts you know you haven't checked. TS

The following users liked this post:
DanJensen (09-19-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 AM

Hi all, just a quick update. Fault found with the 'A' pillar occupancy positioning sensor!
Thanks for all your input.
Rob.

The following 2 users liked this post by rp2427:
GGG (10-16-2014), Jon89 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Rob,

Thanks for coming back with the result to your instance of this SRS issue. I've added 'RESOLVED' to your thread title to help others cursed with a Code 17.

It's unfortunate that, unlike many of the DTC Pxxxx codes, the SRS blink codes don't point to a single component failure. It would make troubleshooting Code 17 so much easier!

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Jon89 (10-16-2014), rp2427 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Rob:

How was it determined that the A-post sensor was bad? Did the dealer do the work or someone else?

Dan

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Hi Dan, sorry for late reply...I bought a sensor kit off ebay and interchanged each sensor in turn...I did most myself, but due work commitments, I ran out of time so got my local mechanic to finish the task..Result "A" post sensor faulty! Hope I never get that fault again !
Cheers
Rob

The following users liked this post:
DanJensen (11-11-2014)