Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm issues, won't start, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alarm issues, won't start, please help

I have a 98 XK8.

I spent a few hours and read all the threads on here.. and here we go from the beginning with all of the details I can think of..

The car has only been driven 2-3 times in the past two years..

The car has been sitting again for 4+ months and I go to start the car, no power, manually key open the trunk, try to jump start, not enough jumper power.. I get the battery replaced, connect, and it start making a faint beeping sound from somewhere in the engine bay..

I can't really have someone come out and look at the car as its in a storage lot.. so I was going to get it towed but this issue wouldn't allow me to put the car in neutral to push the car from where its parked at to even be towed..

Here are some other things, I did swap out the ECU with my other car a few times as I was waiting to get the other one rebuilt, not sure if this would have an effect but wanted to mention it.

The key does go into the ignition but it won't let me do anything and it just beeps faintly and won't stop until the battery is disconnected..

I tried a hard reset and still nothing..

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Windycityx; 02-25-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Are you taking about a XK8? If so you can shift it into neutral by removing the star head screw to the left of the J gate and push down on the lockout release with the the key. It sounds like getting it to a shop would be a good idea.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Just a guess at the key situation but most likely the Security and Locking Module no longer recognizes it and won't let you do anything with it.
For not getting it out of park I can help you there. To the left of the gear shift is a plug on the ski slope console. Unscrew the plug and you can insert the end of your car key and release the gear shift. It will bypass mechanically the gear shift release solenoid. That should allow you to maneuver the vehicle.
Sitting that long with out power and then trying to jump it may have engaged the SCLM in the mode to prevent theft.

The following users liked this post:
RWinters1624 (01-30-2021)
Old 02-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am a little confused! Is this your car or another car you are acquiring?

You are having trouble getting this car started and you said you attempted to jump start the car the correct thing to do is recharge that battery or get a new one. Jump starting a Jag is risky business if not done properly.

Moving the shifter in to “N” is a simple process and can be done by using the process mentioned in the previous post. This will allow you to move the car.

With the key in the ignition and you attempt to start the car and it does nothing but you get a tone from under the hood I am wondering if the cars alarm system has locked you out.

Exchanging the cars ECU with another may not work.

If this car is not your car was this car a repo? The reason I ask is because your last post was about an XK8 in Miami.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM

Yes Gus, this is a car you have helped me out with a few times over the past 5 years.

The car is in Miami.

I first tried to jump the car which didn't work. I then bought a refurbished battery and as soon as connected the faint alarm starts... as it is on, I tried using the keyfob, key in door open, close, open close ( trying to get the alarm to go off ) tried putting the key in the ignition to maybe get the alarm to stop and nothing.

I was then advised to try a hard reset, tried it a few times, re-connect and same problem.

I swapped out the ECU with this car and my 97 XK8 to make sure that was the actual problem before getting the 97 XK8 ECU rebuilt. Put the original one back in the 98 and everything was fine, drove the car, parked it. Then 4+ months later all of this..

I am able to unlock and lock the car doors with the key.

My gut is like you said, that the car alarm is locking me out, especially with the not being able to get the alarm off and the not being able to shift into neutral.

Let me know what you think?

Last edited by Windycityx; 02-25-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Look on the shifter panel and see if the red security light is flashing if it is then you are locked out by the security system. As for the shifter you can move it but you need to do it manually as described in the previous post by evron1. The only way to get the security system unlocked is by Jaguar or someone with SDD or IDS software but I have not done that.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:43 PM

When I get back to Miami I will check on the light, so if I am in the car with the key in the ignition and the light is on just the light on in general?

Is there a way to just disable the whole security system or even just remove it?

Originally Posted by Gus
Look on the shifter panel and see if the red security light is flashing if it is then you are locked out by the security system. As for the shifter you can move it but you need to do it manually as described in the previous post by evron1. The only way to get the security system unlocked is by Jaguar or someone with SDD or IDS software but I have not done that.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It is the security light that is located in the shifter area that lights up when your alarm is set. It is not on the dash and you do not need to have the key in the car in fact if the battery is good just look in the window at night and you will see it on the console.

No when the system is activated the only way the car will come to life is if Jaguar or a person with SDD & IDS system resets it. Remember you cannot move modules from one car to another and expect the car to function properly. It is like the key to your car anyone can make the key it is the chip with the key that allows you to start it and that is programmed into the car.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM

The car has been sitting like this for a few months and it may be another month or so and the battery has been disconnected the whole time.

What should be my exact process when I get back to my car as the car has no power to show the light on or off as it sits?

Originally Posted by Gus
It is the security light that is located in the shifter area that lights up when your alarm is set. It is not on the dash and you do not need to have the key in the car in fact if the battery is good just look in the window at night and you will see it on the console.

No when the system is activated the only way the car will come to life is if Jaguar or a person with SDD & IDS system resets it. Remember you cannot move modules from one car to another and expect the car to function properly. It is like the key to your car anyone can make the key it is the chip with the key that allows you to start it and that is programmed into the car.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Charge the battery attach the cables and use your key to start the car then report back what is taking place.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks Gus, once again!
Originally Posted by Gus
Charge the battery attach the cables and use your key to start the car then report back what is taking place.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM

If I do find the blinking light and same issue would it be worth disconnecting the ECU for a few minutes, re-connecting again to see if that clears everything?

Originally Posted by Gus

Old 02-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It will not clear with a hard reset. Like I said Jaguar or SDD or IDS will be needed.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Any updates?

Old 03-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

As with Gus, you can't swap modules around like that, the vin is written when programmed, and Jaguar doesn't allow swapping of modules for security reasons. What is the red security light doing on the J-Gate? Can you at least turn the ignition on? It may need the keys reprogrammed. Just for future reference, not a good idea to swap modules around. Another word,of advice, when jump starting, put positive on the battery positive, and ground on the chasis in the trunk/boot somewhere, like the hold down for the spare tire. I've seen so many times when jumping a car, especially a jag, where putting both cables on the battery ends up causing damage to a module.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM

I may be able to get to the car next weekend otherwise could be a few more weeks or in April. As far as swapping ECU I have done it with three different XK8 sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If they work the cars have always worked 100%. Not saying it's good to do or not, but it definitely can work.
Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
As with Gus, you can't swap modules around like that, the vin is written when programmed, and Jaguar doesn't allow swapping of modules for security reasons. What is the red security light doing on the J-Gate? Can you at least turn the ignition on? It may need the keys reprogrammed. Just for future reference, not a good idea to swap modules around. Another word,of advice, when jump starting, put positive on the battery positive, and ground on the chasis in the trunk/boot somewhere, like the hold down for the spare tire. I've seen so many times when jumping a car, especially a jag, where putting both cables on the battery ends up causing damage to a module.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:03 AM

I am back in Miami, trying to figure out my car.

I was told that it most likely is the the Security Lock Module that needs to be reprogrammed, would this make sense to you guys?

If so, what should this cost be?

I talked to one guy on the phone and he said I may need TWO keys to even do the reprogram, does this make sense? I only have ONE key.

I also see people swap out units if the VCATS numbers match, but all the ones on Ebay only show pictures of the unit without the /### at the end.. so not sure if I could even find a match, and it would just be a shot in the dark?

Any thoughts, greatly recommended as I stuck staying in hotels while this car has me handcuffed between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by Windycityx; 09-10-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any update on this? What ended up being the solution?

I’m considering buying a car at a good price with a similar issue. What will fix this?

Old 05-22-2022, 05:49 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

1) Easiest: Reset the electrical system with the big button in the driver's side dashboard fuse box.

2) Refurbished battery. No bueno. For Jaguars or anything else. (Bad experiences at my Truck Graphics shop with customers who buy refurbs.)

Rule out battery issues by jumping your refurb if you must. First, disconnect the Jaguar from the battery to avoid misery. I still don't trust "refurbished" batteries. You're better off just buying a new battery. Going to need it anyway.

3) Check the big fuses in the trunk. Disconnect the battery and put an Ohmeter across the big resistors in the trunk to check for an open circuit. There are two big fuses. Very important: Do not do this with the battery connected. Replace the bad fuse(s) if necessary.

If all else fails, you know how to put the car in neutral now, to tow it to a repair shop.

Good luck.