XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm transponder module

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm transponder module

Hi I have bought a 1997 XK8, got it home and found out that it was in valet mode, after a bit of investigation it turns out that I have the green/valet key, my friend is breaking his XJ6 and says I can have his key/lock set, ecu and alarm transponder, I have searched my car but cannot find the alarm transponder on my XK8, could anybody advise were about it is please.

Steve

Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

The Transponder is Built in The head of The Key

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

+1

Welcome to the forum Steve,

The transponder chip is embedded in the key head (beneath the small cover circled in red):

Alarm transponder module-transponder.jpg

It pairs with the Transponder Coil (a.k.a. the 'exciter ring' - item 8) on the ignition lock to allow the vehicle to be started.

I presume your friend was referring to his Transponder Module (item 6)?

Alarm transponder module-transponder-parts.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

It can be difficult enough to get a key/lock setup working using parts from another XK8. Trying to do so using parts from an XJ6 as a donor is looking for trouble!

In the circumstances, I would find an equivalent XK8 as a parts donor or bite the bullet and get a new programmed black Master Key from Jaguar. It'll cost around £100 but will solve the problem quickly and reliably.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 11-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Thank you for your replies, the donor lock set came out of a XJ8 not an XJ6 sorry, any way, have transferred the ECU, Alarm transponder unit, ignition key and door lock key across into the XK8, car starts, door key works fine, locks/unlocks door lock, put windows up as well. the alarm fob does not work and also the car is locked in valet mode and the boot release will not operate. Is there a way of getting it out of valet mode, just to confirm I am using the Black key and not the green, all components were fully working on the XJ8

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

To get out of valet mode mode you need to unlock the boot with the black key. But you can't do that with the XJ8 key. I hope someone will have the answer, I certainly don't.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Ok, I am now into the boot and out of valet mode, to explain which I am sure other people who are and will be in the same position,

"How to get into the boot using the valet key"

The only difference between the black key and the green valet key is the shape of the tip of the key. If you look at the end of the black key were it comes down at an angle on the sides it has a ridge, the green key (valet key) does not. with a small file if you file the sides of the tip of the key it then becomes the same key as the black key. Takes about two minutes but will save members calling out a key cutter to get into the boot when they only have a valet key.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (11-16-2013)